Suzuki guitars

Posted by Bill Clifford on Sun, 09/09/01 - 04:24:51.

Dear sir,
I have a Suzuki guitar, red, with a hummingbird scratch plate (VERY WORN) that was bought for me about 1973. Would this be rare now or worth a lot of money? It still plays well and has a lovely sound.
Best wishes.
William Clifford.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

AutoMotive

just testing please dont mind!!! :)

Re: Suzuki guitars

I also have a Suzuki guitar its, i dont know fancy color names but, brownish with a black scratchplate. Its an acoustic. On the inside it has a signature. The serial number is 80169 and the model no. is WR-150. It is in almost mint condition even though it is 20 years old. anyone got any ideas of a way i can find out more about it

That previous reply is not mine, I forgot to delete the last guys message before typing in mine!

OK, that said, let me fill you in a bit on Suzuki guitars.

To begin with they "are" an "entry-to-mid" range instrument built to compete with the other nipponese offerings of similar price range, ie fender, yamaha, alvarez, and yes the over priced takamines. The quality is as expected from most modern era Japanese manufactured articles, very good to excellent. They are for the most part unremarkable in their voice and playability, which does not mean they are not good enough for most players, they are well built and rather accurate in the hands of a good musician.

They did not gain the notoriety of the other japanese instruments for whatever reasons such things happen, (similar to the VHS victory over the superior BETA video format) or the failure of the mini-disc audio system, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

I earn my living as a guitarist both in the studio and on the stage, and I also collect and sell guitars, and have done both for almost thirty years. I have in my collection single instruments valued in excess of $15,000, and I also still have my own "first" guitar which was given me as a christmas gift and probably sold for less than $30, and while there are no doubt many professional folks who are more knowledgable on the subject than me, I am fairly aware of the "guitar culture".

The Suzuki brand is not well known among casual players, but those few who have used them tend to place them at about the same level as they would a Peavey or Hagstrom.

There is a single standout exception however and it's in the "acoustic" line of Suzuki's, and that's the model 300 dreadnought. This particular guitar was specifically designed to mimic the D-28 Martin which is legendary in bluegrass and folk (and other) music. The caveat is that only a certain era of those (mod. 300) are the "collectable" crem-de-la-crem, and are actually "better" in voice quality than the Martin, and that seems to be the ones that were imported around the mid 70's with serial numbers in the 770,000 - 772,000 range. I have owned and sold two or three model 300's, but the only one I currently own is one that I actually bought "off the stage" from a band in Nashville, and I will vouch for the fact that it is very solidly in the Martin-Guild-Taylor league (all of which I have and love). Only the "insider" types are aware of this guitar and it may never be worth a great deal of money, on the other hand it could be like the gibson arch-tops of the twenties and thirties which could be bought for $35 and which today in mint condition could easily fetch $10,000 or more. But if you are into the sparkle and definition of steel string acoustics this would be perhaps the present "best-for-the-money" deal going.

Re: Suzuki les paul guitar

i own a 70 les paul copy thats just wickedly crafted it has full abalone binding and an abalone vine inlay all the way down the neck its such a beutifull guitar but i want to find out more info onit could you hellp me out!

Re: Suzuki les paul guitar

Hey man,

I also own a Suzuki Les Paul, from the research I have done it must be a 70s les paul.

I'm guessing it must be Mahogany wood as it is very heavy. 22 frets rosewood and bolt on (unfortunately) neck.

the Humbuckers it had i took them out as they had a lot noise when playing with distortion.

If you can post some pics of your suzuki i will post some of mine.

Later
Jono

Suzuki guitars

I too have a Suzuki Guitar. The Label on the inside says Model# W-140, Original. It was brought over from Japan about 10 years ago. It's in really good shape. It has sea shell lining around the body and sound hole. It's a nice looking guitar. Anybody have any ideas as to much it's worth?

Suzuki W-5025 Suzuki guitar

Hi, My Suzuki W-5025, has a solid spruce top, solid rosewood sides and three piece back. It also has abalone inlay around the sound hole, along the front binding and between the three piece back. There is a white ivoriod binding on the peghead and the rosewood finger board. Any info would be most appreciated!

Re: Suzuki W-5025 Suzuki guitar

I have the same guitar. Did you ever hear any feedback?

: I have the same guitar. Did you ever hear any feedback?

i have on too

Hi, the discription you gave for your `Suzy` is very similar to my box. but mine has no decypherable number on the label, but has `Susuki Three sSs` on the headstock.
and was made by the Susuki Violin Co. I suspect mine is around 1965/75. I like you would love to know.
cheers Nick.

: Hi, My Suzuki W-5025, has a solid spruce top, solid rosewood sides and three piece back. It also has abalone inlay around the sound hole, along the front binding and between the three piece back. There is a white ivoriod binding on the peghead and the rosewood finger board. Any info would be most appreciated!

of all the suzuki guitars i think this w5024 has the most work done to it . the other suzuki guittars look plain next to this one

I've got a similar guitar, it's an acounstic, cherry sunburst with a decorated scratchplate. I am trying to find out roughly how much they're worth. It's beutiful to play & has a great sound.
Anyone know anything about these guitars?

: Dear sir,
: I have a Suzuki acoustic guitar which my dad picked up for me for about 250 dollars from the second hand store. its model no w-500 and has what i think is a serial no of 10904. It is an excellent guitar it has green mother of pearl around the edges every where all ond the neck and in the frett board and it lookes th be hand made. it is a really nice guitar and i would really apreciate it if you would help me to learn more about it
thanking you,
Kain Corrie

: Dear sir,
: I have a Suzuki guitar registered as number 700. What does this mean, please?

I have a Suzuki clasical guitar #701 made by the Suzuki violin company. I am looking ofr information as to it's age

: : Dear sir,
: : I have a Suzuki guitar registered as number 700. What does this mean, please?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.