Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: does anyone have the same goal(atl)

: who has talent ambition KNOWLEDGE a drive to strive for the top in the music industry. where are you? can you play like randy or kirk or zack

: Hi. I´m from Argentina. i think that Zack is MUCH better than Kirk and Rhandy. I don´t know why ther are ones who say that Rhandy was better than Zack...they must be mad.
: the lone metal guitar

value of 1960's humminbird 12 string accustic guitar

need aproximent value of 1960's hummingbird 12 string accustic guitar

Re: value of 1960's humminbird 12 string accustic guitar

: need aproximent value of 1960's hummingbird 12 string accustic guitar
Is "Hummingbird" the brand? Gibson makes a "Hummingbird" model, but they only made it in a 6-string...reason I asked is that someone tried to sell me a bogus "Gibson Hummingbird 12-string" a few years ago over the 'Net...

Re: value of 1960's humminbird 12 string accustic guitar

I have aquired a very OLD looking, well traveled hummingbird 12 string Guitar, with slotted head, but it has no identification marks expect the outline of what used to be a hummingbird on the pickguard. Yellow and white print. The strings are held on the end of the hard case by wire framing. Could you please help me with any information and the value of this guitar.
Thankyou
Mouse.

new guitar.

i play an american strat with two humbuckers right now. i am seriously wanting a new ibanez 550bk ... i loved those in the late 80s... they shred!! any thoughts? i like playing through the neck pickup only... anyone have a review of the guitar? i dig em. i played one at the local music shop the other day. i want one!

Re: new guitar.

I like the 550's also.Might want ot change the pickups
though.Esp axes are also known to shred with
ferocity.Their stock pickups are quite nasty.The biggest diference is in neck width.Esp necks tend to be smaller,making it easier to vertically "tear shit up".Check one out.
Good Luck

True tuning of string at all frets for classican guitar

This subject concerns continuous true tuning of strings for classical guitar.
I tested a number of strings to look for a true tuning of e” at the twelfth fret.
I found that upwards tuning true pitch at higher fret levels is rare.
I used various brands in the past but never took records.
So to be specific I now tested 1st (high e) strings of D’Addario Pro Arte nylon, Augustine purple nylon, Hannabach Carbon and GSP clear nylon super treble.
Measuring point was the pitch at teh twelfth fret. Both Hannabach Carbon and Augustine were way off and inacceptably higher.
D’Addario came close buth stil audibly higher and finally GSP turned out to be OK.

Although limited this test was I’d like to share these results and would appreciate feedback to find out which stringbrand and type produce a continous correct pitch at all fretlevels.
Eldert

Warm distortion tone from RP2000

Can anybody tell me how to get a nice warm sustain tone
from my Digitech RP 2000 I am playing a Fender Strat
straight into my mixer then onto the PA
Cheers Dez Lynch

New Guitarist Needs To Know Good Brand...

New Guitarist Needs To Know Good Brand...

This popular thread has been given its own page : New Guitarist Needs To Know Good Brand...

DAFT CHILDISH AMATEUR QUESTION - BUT DESPERATE FOR AN ANSWER

Hey chaps,

I listen to slightly less hard stuff, but I do like the sound of feedback. Just not too heavy. Every modern guitar band seems to have the same feedback sound, which I don't mind. Im just about to start a band and buy equipment, but does this sound come from the cabinets and the amp heads, or does every single guitarist have their own preferred pedal?

Thanks.

Re: DAFT CHILDISH AMATEUR QUESTION - BUT DESPERATE FOR AN ANSWER

: Hey chaps,

: I listen to slightly less hard stuff, but I do like the sound of feedback. Just not too heavy. Every modern guitar band seems to have the same feedback sound, which I don't mind. Im just about to start a band and buy equipment, but does this sound come from the cabinets and the amp heads, or does every single guitarist have their own preferred pedal?

: Thanks.
I don't know who exactly you are talking about, but feedback, usually resonates from the amp, but could come from a pedal, but mostly the amps overdrive. So to answer your question, the head does it, because its the amp, the cab, is just a bunch of speakers, kind of like a computer monitor.

: : Hey chaps,

: : I listen to slightly less hard stuff, but I do like the sound of feedback. Just not too heavy. Every modern guitar band seems to have the same feedback sound, which I don't mind. Im just about to start a band and buy equipment, but does this sound come from the cabinets and the amp heads, or does every single guitarist have their own preferred pedal?

: : Thanks.
: I don't know who exactly you are talking about, but feedback, usually resonates from the amp, but could come from a pedal, but mostly the amps overdrive. So to answer your question, the head does it, because its the amp, the cab, is just a bunch of speakers, kind of like a computer monitor.

Hello,
In fact, feedback comes from sympathetic vibrations of the sound the guitar is making resonating through the guitar's pickups causing them to oscillate. Feedback can be musical (it sounds good) or unmusical such as when it causes the pickups to squeal uncontrollably.
Feedback can happen without there being an intentional high gain distortion sound such as amp overdrive or a pedal, if there is enough volume from the amp, or close proximity between the guitar and it's sound source. People usually associate feedback with distortion because it helps the whole process get started more easily.

Hmm.Marty is right.The pickup coils tend to ossilate a
certain frequency(feedback)when positioned near another Magnetic source(speaker magnets,microphone).
Ron Bykowski of Funkadeleic(Cosmic Slop,'73)used two amp stacks in a room.By simply changing his position he got different types of feedback.In your case an overdrive pedal should work well.Distortion pedals have too much gain,so when your clean sound is already
loud,you'll get too much ugly feedback.A pre-amp could also work if you rely on the amp's distortion.Most guitar players I know have 4 or 5 overdrive/distortion units,so you might choose some that suit your sound.
Play on dude!!

Viper-300

Hey, im looking for a pretty cool ESP guitar.
Its an LTD version. Viper-300. it's sort of new, id im real into it. if anyone knows of a site with a good price on it [ranging around 400 500] please give me a mail. thanks.

Re: Viper-300

: Hey, im looking for a pretty cool ESP guitar.
: Its an LTD version. Viper-300. it's sort of new, id im real into it. if anyone knows of a site with a good price on it [ranging around 400 500] please give me a mail. thanks.

Its $450 at musicians friends, it that helps.

TOO MUCH FEEDBACK

I USE A PEAVEY 5150(COMBO)AND A TOKAI STRAT WHICH HAS A HOT RAIL,SEYMOUR DUNCAN HUMBUCKER,TOKAI STOCK PICKUP IN BRIDGE, AND A DIMARZO SLAMMED BETWEEN THE BRIDGE AND MIDDLE(I DID THIS BEFORE DOUBLE STACKS WERE READILY AVAILABLE). TROUBLE IS I HAVE A LOT OF UNWANTED SQUEAL,ESPECIALLY WITH THE DIMARZO. I RUN THE PEAVEY IN THE CRUNCH MODE WITH THE BRIGHT OFF,THE PRE ON 7,POST ONLY BETWEEN 2 AND 3. I ALSO ADDED A MARSHALL CAB W/2 12 INCH SPEAKERS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ? E-MAIL TO ABOVE. THANKS.

Re: TOO MUCH FEEDBACK

:
: I USE A PEAVEY 5150(COMBO)AND A TOKAI STRAT WHICH HAS A HOT RAIL,SEYMOUR DUNCAN HUMBUCKER,TOKAI STOCK PICKUP IN BRIDGE, AND A DIMARZO SLAMMED BETWEEN THE BRIDGE AND MIDDLE(I DID THIS BEFORE DOUBLE STACKS WERE READILY AVAILABLE). TROUBLE IS I HAVE A LOT OF UNWANTED SQUEAL,ESPECIALLY WITH THE DIMARZO. I RUN THE PEAVEY IN THE CRUNCH MODE WITH THE BRIGHT OFF,THE PRE ON 7,POST ONLY BETWEEN 2 AND 3. I ALSO ADDED A MARSHALL CAB W/2 12 INCH SPEAKERS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ? E-MAIL TO ABOVE. THANKS.

I dip my pickups (briefly) in melted parafin wax. You need to remove the wrapping aroundthe coils to let the wax enter the pickup bobbins. This will help the squeal by isolating the windings on the bobbins from vibrations.

Re: TOO MUCH FEEDBACK

You might want to use less gain. Turn down your preamp so that your distortion isn't as "tight." The other option would be to invest in a noise gate. The gate will stop any sound from going to the amp when you are not playing.

Tabs for Beth Hart or Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Please Help

Please some one help, I need tabs from Beth Hart or Big Head Todd and the Monsters Beautiful World CD

Re: Tabs for Beth Hart or Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Please Help

Did you ever get any Beth Hart tabs. If so, please send them to me also.

I have tablature on LA Song if you want it. Email me! I am desperately searching for the tab on Delicious Surprise. Can anyone help?>

I have the tab for LA Song but I would really love to have the tabs to any and all Beth Hart music. Please e-mail them to me!

Learn how to play guitar like Angus Young of AC/DC really quick!

Learn how to play guitar like Angus Young of AC/DC really quick!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Learn how to play guitar like Angus Young of AC/DC really quick!

List your music related sites in our directory or search our directory for the downloadable music yo

List your music related sites in our directory or search our directory for the downloadable music you want! Music in all formats!

The Audio Network
http://www.theaudionetwork.com

TAKAMINE

Hi I have a Takamine F360C Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I believe although I'm not completely positive that it is a 1988. Could someone please give me a general idea as to how much it's worth. I'd never sell it; It's my main guitar for life... I'm just interested about how much it would be worth.

Re: TAKAMINE

: Hi I have a Takamine F360C Acoustic-Electric Guitar. I believe although I'm not completely positive that it is a 1988. Could someone please give me a general idea as to how much it's worth. I'd never sell it; It's my main guitar for life... I'm just interested about how much it would be worth.

you are a twat!

Re: TAKAMINE

Ha right the kids just looking for info not a fuckoff like you to call him a twat for no reason. in the words of some 3 year old, takes one to know one

how do i wire dual humbuckers into my strat

i just cut my pickguard and chiseled out my body, now i'm ready to throw my two emg selects into my strat copy and i need help, i want to use a three way switch and one volume/one tone knob setup very simple, and i have all the parts but i'm not sure how, please sum1 help wit h a schematic or a link -----thanx alot yall r great---kris

Re: how do i wire dual humbuckers into my strat

: i just cut my pickguard and chiseled out my body, now i'm ready to throw my two emg selects into my strat copy and i need help, i want to use a three way switch and one volume/one tone knob setup very simple, and i have all the parts but i'm not sure how, please sum1 help wit h a schematic or a link -----thanx alot yall r great---kris

Why did you put in Emg selects, they suck

Re: how do i wire dual humbuckers into my strat

: : i just cut my pickguard and chiseled out my body, now i'm ready to throw my two emg selects into my strat copy and i need help, i want to use a three way switch and one volume/one tone knob setup very simple, and i have all the parts but i'm not sure how, please sum1 help wit h a schematic or a link -----thanx alot yall r great---kris

: Why did you put in Emg selects, they suck

I have a strat, and yeah, single couls are great for blues, but suck ass in metal. What I have found is that I HATE to cut my axe. Instead, I discoverd SEYMORE DUNCAN HOTRAILS! They pac the most damn punch into a single coil space.. NO ROUTING! And, yeah, they SLAM! Best thing is, with Seymore Duncan, you can pop it in, try it out, and if you hate them (i doubt it!) you can pop 'em back out and try a different pickup in 30 days.

Fender bandmaster with Bassman

I have an old fender pre-cbs blackface bandmaster piggy-back tied into a VT Bassman15" that i'm trying to sell. i've had it for the past 10 years and i have no idea what the set is worth. any help out there?

Anyone got any good tips for a starter trying to reach his chords???

Ive just got a guitar and learning, slowly... ...Im haveing problems with like reaching the chords and, like playing them, my fingers like ache are they supposed to? Or is it me just being a wuss?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatful.. ...Thanks

Re: Anyone got any good tips for a starter trying to reach his chords???

Hmm.The answer is yes,your fingers are supposed to ache
when performing a diffrent phyical task.But don't worry, as you practice your chords your fingers will become more comfortable with this new task.Check with your guitar instructor to see if your wrist is positioned correctly,ecspecially if experiencing pain.
Play on!!

: Ive just got a guitar and learning, slowly... ...Im haveing problems with like reaching the chords and, like playing them, my fingers like ache are they supposed to? Or is it me just being a wuss?
Just keep playing until you have calusue on your finger tips and on your index finger then you will be able to play much easier. your finger tips will get hard as a rock and then every thing will be possible.

: Any tips or suggestions would be greatful.. ...Thanks

: : Ive just got a guitar and learning, slowly... ...Im haveing problems with like reaching the chords and, like playing them, my fingers like ache are they supposed to? Or is it me just being a wuss?
: Just keep playing until you have calusue on your finger tips and on your index finger then you will be able to play much easier. your finger tips will get hard as a rock and then every thing will be possible.

: : Any tips or suggestions would be greatful.. ...Thanks

Dipping each left hand finger tip in medicinal alchohol for a second, two or three times a day for a week will speed up skin hardening on the tips, and relieve the soreness
kindest regards
pat

Guitar Refretting

Does anyone know of any online "how to's" concerning refretting electric guitars? Thanks

Re: Guitar Refretting

Refretting can be a tricky job. If you are not careful, you can really screw the neck up. Especially when trying to remove old frets. I suggest paying the $ and have a pro do it !!

Re: Guitar Refretting

WAIT!! I would'nt do that if I were you.Neck is the guitar,if you make a mistake you could ruin the guitar.
I suggest sending it to a qualified luthier for somthing this tricky.PROTECT YA' NECK!!
Good Luck

string stretching

when i put a new set of strings on they sound really twangy. i have heard someone talk about stretching your strings but not sure what to do as far as stretching.please help

Re: string stretching

Hmm.What kind of srings were on it before??Maybe the gauge of the new strings are too light.You might have to adjust the action(bridge height) in order to compensate for the lighter strings.

Re: string stretching

bah, stretching your strings wouldn't fix that, it would just keep you in tune a little better. It sounds like you restrung the guitar with a different guage string, causing the action to change. The twang is the strings hitting the frets, which suggests that the strings are too light.

Distortion!?

I am a begginer aand I am about to buy an electric guitar. I was wondering, I want a guitar that I can just switch the distortion on. What makes this happen? 3 way toggle? or 3 humbuckers?

Re: Distortion!?

it's in the amp. if ya can, get an amp with a footswitch. that switches from clean to dirty with a stomp of ya bootle. there's also an actual stomp box. its like a distortion channel in one box. its a seperate pedal that u get, u step on it to turn it on/off. it's all in the feet brothah, that way ur hands r free to rock!
any q's just reply

Re: Distortion!?

: it's in the amp. if ya can, get an amp with a footswitch. that switches from clean to dirty with a stomp of ya bootle. there's also an actual stomp box. its like a distortion channel in one box. its a seperate pedal that u get, u step on it to turn it on/off. it's all in the feet brothah, that way ur hands r free to rock!
: any q's just reply

I have found that when it comes to distortion, It's all a matter of your ear. I would suggest a "Stomp box" over onboard distortion. When you go to your local Music Shop make sure you bring YOUR guitar WITH YOU to try out as many as you can before the Salesman gives you the 'ol "heave-ho". If possible, bring YOUR amp as well. There is nothing worse then buying an effect box when it sounds great running through a guitar you dont own, while plugged in to a Marshal stack, when you own a Crate combo!.. It aint gonna sound the same!!

guitar searching in korea- where to look

i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
thanx rich

Re: guitar searching in korea- where to look

: i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: thanx rich

Is this a myth, or do guitars cost less in South Korea? I heard that they are highly discounted. What about Korean guitars, are they less too. Anyway, I don't know your price range, but my favorite brands are, Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Gibson. Find something good in your price range

: : i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: : an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: : thanx rich

: Is this a myth, or do guitars cost less in South Korea? I heard that they are highly discounted. What about Korean guitars, are they less too. Anyway, I don't know your price range, but my favorite brands are, Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Gibson. Find something good in your price range

I suspect that Korean made guitars will be available,
but would doubt that any deals on american made guitars
would be found. Doesn't make sense they'd be cheaper
after shipping them half way around the world.

Samick makes guitars for Epiphone in Korea, among others. Most liekly the Samick equivalents are available, my gut feeling is that Epi's aren't.
Cort also makes guitars in Korea ( or whatever the
Korean company is named.

Doug

I want to import a electric guitar I need prices and models

: : : i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: : : an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: : : thanx rich

: : Is this a myth, or do guitars cost less in South Korea? I heard that they are highly discounted. What about Korean guitars, are they less too. Anyway, I don't know your price range, but my favorite brands are, Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Gibson. Find something good in your price range

: I suspect that Korean made guitars will be available,
: but would doubt that any deals on american made guitars
: would be found. Doesn't make sense they'd be cheaper
: after shipping them half way around the world.

: Samick makes guitars for Epiphone in Korea, among others. Most liekly the Samick equivalents are available, my gut feeling is that Epi's aren't.
: Cort also makes guitars in Korea ( or whatever the
: Korean company is named.

: Doug

I am stationed in Kunsan Korea and am looking for a Samick dealer in Kunsan City or the closest place to were I'm stationed. Can anyone help me?

Scott

: : : i am traveling to Korea and will have time to shop for
: : : an acoustic guitar. i'd like some information or addresses on where to shop and what to look for
: : : thanx rich

: : Is this a myth, or do guitars cost less in South Korea? I heard that they are highly discounted. What about Korean guitars, are they less too. Anyway, I don't know your price range, but my favorite brands are, Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Gibson. Find something good in your price range

: I suspect that Korean made guitars will be available,
: but would doubt that any deals on american made guitars
: would be found. Doesn't make sense they'd be cheaper
: after shipping them half way around the world.

: Samick makes guitars for Epiphone in Korea, among others. Most liekly the Samick equivalents are available, my gut feeling is that Epi's aren't.
: Cort also makes guitars in Korea ( or whatever the
: Korean company is named.

: Doug

I am stationed in Kunsan Korea and am looking for a Samick dealer in Kunsan City or the closest place to were I'm stationed. Can anyone help me?

Scott

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.