Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: CARVIN guitars.

I have a collection of Carvin Koa wood models and curly / birdseye maple models built between 1982 and 1986 . DC-120 , Dc200,DC 160 , and Koa doublenecks all of which are highly flamed and have necks of such quality that make my gibsons seem like clumsy toys. All of these guitars arrived to my door via ups in the 80's without a nick. True the mail order seems bad but all manufacturers ship guitars to every retail store so its not really different. and if you don't like it you can get an immediate refund. Try that at most retail music stores _ (except Mars and the other big guys)and you will be in for a big battle to the end to get a refund. so take my advice and give it a try - nothing to lose

My first experience with Carvin was in 1990. The guitar I bought then is still my favorite of my arsenal of 15. This transaction went smoothly so there was no need to "follow up" or otherwise correspond with them after the purchase. I bought parts in 1995 and build a 5-string bass; again, no problems. I made an attempt to buy another one last year - I will never buy another thing from them - ever. If you want a Carvin, get one from eBay - the online auction "risks" far out-weigh the Carvin Customer Service apathy. Their quality control is non-existant and they frankly don't give a crap. Yes, the playability is excellent but god help you if you have any problems. http://www.ameritech.net/users/scottbeavers/index.htm
click the 'My Guitarz' link. Then click 'My guitar - a bargain at twice the price' for the whole story.

over the past 25 years, i've owned a 81 Gibson Les Paul Standard,a 79 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, a 62 Fender Jaguar, a 67 Fender Tele, a 88 Fender Strat (jap, but real nice w/kahler trem), a 82 Heritage H-150CM (a REAL les paul), and a few off brand, but decent, guitars and basses.
After drooling over Carvin catalogs for 20 years but never ordering from them, i chanced upon a used mid 80's Carvin DC-150 in a local shop under consignment a few years back. After begging the owner to hold it for a week, i took my new toy home, tore it down, set it up, and jammed.
it is an all black w/black chrome model. kahler locking trem, with the signature Carvin stereo electronics and M-22 pickups and 4 vol/tone knobs found in later models.
the quality of the instrument is superb for a "standard issue" guitar, the balance excellent, action fast and low. all in all, a great looking, sounding and playing axe. and for the price ($300US w/case of course) unbeatable by anything i could ever get now-a-days.
BUT...there's always a "but"... the thing is almost TOO perfect.
after playing with different guitars over the years, i've come to know and expect different characteristics and "personalities" to show up. things like unique harmonics, tones in general that distinquish that particular guitar from any other, at least to me.
my Carvin doesn't really have any of these traits. it sounds great, don't get me wrong. but there is no "soul" there. kinda' generic, if you know what i mean. like a lot of Les Pauls, i guess, only an occasional "Pearly Gates" comes on the scene. then again, PRS doesn't exactly have a signature sound, either.
all in all, fantastic guitar for the price, a great road/working axe, but i keep it out of the studio.

Re: CARVIN guitars...Giant Slayers what do you...... think?

: i agree about the state of most the name brands...gibson is waayyyy over priced. I playes a carvin and thought it was pretty good. have had bad luck with their mixers....got one..it buzzed...a vu meter fell out...crosstalk between channels...i sent it back....same thing with their amps...quality control doesnt seem to be their thing.

: i dont why their guitars havent caught on..10 day return...why dont more people play them? re sale is the pits on them...and maybe its becasue not many big guitar gods plays one...i think the whole mail order thing hurts them...no impulse buying from music stores.
: maybe the waiting period on some...but its not really that long compared to other custom builders.

: i have almost bought one a few times...but i think being unsure about them stopped me. if they had been in a store maybe i would have.

: have you heard of Suhr guitars? i got one of those recently...sold a les paul to get it by the way!

Dear Steve;

The truth is I own, or have owned guitars by Gibson, PRS, Fender, Ibanez, and Peavy. I am currently playing a Carvin. The workmanship - finish is as good as I have seen. The neck is thin and fast. They have their own sound. Somewhere between Gibson and Fender, pretty close to the Ibanez sound. Carvins do have imperfections like everything else.

I am playing a Carvin because I like my strings on the deck. At the 24th fret I can barely slip a .024 feeler guage under the strings. I keep the neck nearly straight. String height at the nut is adjusted to be no more than .002 above the first fret. This is the only guitar I have that will play this close to the fret-board. The problem with playing this close is that when the neck releif changes with the moisture in the air I have to adjust the neck releif, or be
unsatisfied with the action. All necks made of wood move. If you don't play this low, you probably don't notice it. I don't adjust the neck everyday, but I keep an adjustment key with the guitar, and I adjust any time it needs it.

I have tried to buy two other guitars from Carvin, but, I sent them back. No two guitars are the same, and I want another one that will play as well as the one I already have.

If you can take the need to keep the neck adjusted, I think you will find that the Carvin is the best buy dollar for dollar.

Good luck
Mike

: : i agree about the state of most the name brands...gibson is waayyyy over priced. I playes a carvin and thought it was pretty good. have had bad luck with their mixers....got one..it buzzed...a vu meter fell out...crosstalk between channels...i sent it back....same thing with their amps...quality control doesnt seem to be their thing.

: : i dont why their guitars havent caught on..10 day return...why dont more people play them? re sale is the pits on them...and maybe its becasue not many big guitar gods plays one...i think the whole mail order thing hurts them...no impulse buying from music stores.
: : maybe the waiting period on some...but its not really that long compared to other custom builders.

: : i have almost bought one a few times...but i think being unsure about them stopped me. if they had been in a store maybe i would have.

: : have you heard of Suhr guitars? i got one of those recently...sold a les paul to get it by the way!

: Dear Steve;

: The truth is I own, or have owned guitars by Gibson, PRS, Fender, Ibanez, and Peavy. I am currently playing a Carvin. The workmanship - finish is as good as I have seen. The neck is thin and fast. They have their own sound. Somewhere between Gibson and Fender, pretty close to the Ibanez sound. Carvins do have imperfections like everything else.

: I am playing a Carvin because I like my strings on the deck. At the 24th fret I can barely slip a .028 feeler guage under the strings. I keep the neck nearly straight. String height at the nut is adjusted to be no more than .002 above the first fret. This is the only guitar I have that will play this close to the fret-board. The problem with playing this close is that when the neck releif changes with the moisture in the air I have to adjust the neck releif, or be
: unsatisfied with the action. All necks made of wood move. If you don't play this low, you probably don't notice it. I don't adjust the neck everyday, but I keep an adjustment key with the guitar, and I adjust any time it needs it.

: I have tried to buy two other guitars from Carvin, but, I sent them back. No two guitars are the same, and I want another one that will play as well as the one I already have.

: If you can take the need to keep the neck adjusted, I think you will find that the Carvin is the best buy dollar for dollar.

: Good luck
: Mike

Re: CARVIN guitars...Giant Slayers what do you think?? HELL YEAH !!!

Yes,Definatley,affirmitive,fuckin'A,Hell yeah!! One cold, snowy evening,I wandered into one of my favorite music stores.This was 1993.One of the guys who knew me
sold me a CARVIN D135(?)for $100.Took it home played then forgot about it.3 years later,I gave my Les Paual
a rest and pulled out this old Carvin.Small, sleek ebony fret-board.Fast action,24 frets,coil splitting,
in-phase,out-phase.M-22 pick-ups and Kahler tremelo.
As I played it I said..."OH SHIT"!! Since then my Les Paul has been retired,I even found another one,all wood
finish.With these deadly axes,I can Slay an army single-handedly and make the devil beg for redemption!

: I'm posting this message to see what your opinions are on Carvins guitar shop. This is the mail order company out of San Diego.
: Heres my own story. I recently ordered my third Carvin guitar earlier this year. Shortly after placing my order I found a used Gibson Les Paul Custom Black with body binding and gold hardware at guitar showcase in San Jose. This guitar was gorgeous. I fell in love and bought it. This guitar was used and $1600.00 but it was in excellent condion.
: Now I was in a jam because I didnt have enough money for both guitars but I could afford the cash to have them both temporarily at least long enough to test them out against each other.
: I had the Gibson Les Paul set up by a reputable shop and waited for the Carvin to arrive.
: My test findings were unsettling. The Guitar Gods at Gibson came up short on my list in all catagories. Now remember this was a guitar I played and fell in love with and payed hard cash for but when my Carvin showed up it just kicked its ass.
: The Carvin Giant Slayer was better at
: 1.String action
: 2.neck feel
: 3.pickup tone
: 4.sustain
: 5.Staying in tune ( This is very important)
: 6.Attention to detail on the guitar finish
: The Carvin sounded way better under heavy distortion
: and also on clean settings. The amps at my disposal to do this test were a Mesa/Boogie Tremloverb, Mesa DC-5
: a VOX,a Matchless, & a Fender Deville. My personal rigs were the Boogies. We conducted this test in a recording studio while recording our new album. I played and recorded on both guitars and a week later the Gibson was on add in the paper. Ouch thats gotta hurt!
: Now I'm not saying I would'nt Play a Gibson again, I am an equal oportunity guitarist but the over priced sleeping giants are nothing more than NIKE brand names marketed by symbolism.Thats O.K. but I just wanted you to know that you can get alot more bang for your buck if your willing to bust away from the pack.
: you must understand I've waited a long time to conduct this test. I am a lefty guitar player and finding lefties is allways a problem but untill now I couldnt afford the extra dough to have two guitars like this at once.
: The New Carvin I ordered was not cheap either but it was $200.00 less than the used Gibson.
: I ordered the Carvin 25th aniversary with a flamed KOA top. KOA five piece laminated neck(Maple Stripes) through body active/passive electronics and a fixed bridge. Abalone Block Inlays Ebony finger board.
: The Works
: You can also order a great guitar thats about $600.00
: bucks with the same electronics and craftsman ship minus the expensive wood I ordered for mine. All their guitars are made by the same CNC computer controlled routing machines and come with a 10 day money back garantee.

: If you have a story about Carvin Pro/Con I would like to hear it.

i just bought a mid 80's DC 150 from a dealer in boston.black with the kahler tremelo. OMG! i don't know what anyone else would think but it is absolutely perfect for me! i also play a 1963 gibson melody maker that is just TOO sweet. til i got the carvin i thought it was the best guitar i ever owned. i bought the carvin to take the playing load off the MM. i can see now that is not going to be a problem as i love this guitar for speedy stuff..the bright pick-ups do sound better than the gibson for distorted playing.PLUS a really nice ring on the super clead settings of my MESA BOOGIE NOMAD 45(with the factory closed back extension cabinet for a 2x12 sound).the carvin will never replace the gibson for playing blues but it does what it does better than anything else i have laid my hands on in 32 years of playing...thanks for the opportunity to have my say...peace <*}}}}>{......

Carvin guitars

I have 2 Carvin guitars, a DC 127 with a tung-oiled mahogny body with a fixed bridge and an Ultra V with a Floyd Rose whammy. I payed 800$ for the DC. In Norway that is not much for an electric guitar. Some of the cheapest Ibanez RG´s cost the same!!! If you compared a Carvin DC 127 and an Ibanez RG, you would probably call the police. Especially the craftmanship blows the competition away. I just love the way my guitars play. The feel is so comfortable and steady. Carvin guitars are so short on misstakes! Good luck with your guitars and your playing!!! Carvin ROCKS!!!!

i own two custom shop carvin guitars and love both of them. i also own a PRS, an older gibson sg and a few custom guitars. the carvins play and sound wonderful, and at the price i paid i can add more gutiars to my collection.

I played and have gibsons, fenders and such. And carvin is one that is always on my guitar stand, instead of the case instead of the others. I also have the bass guitar, however my good friend is using it, not only because he is much more into bass than I am, because he says it blows his Fender bass away.

I bought a Carvin 212 Bel-Air 50 watt tube amp. Spent a year serching for that sweetness you know. Mathcless, Mesa Boogie, vox, etc... The cheapest 212 combo I could find was $1200. They all sounded great but for $500 I can't tell the difference. Also bought a package deal P.A. 12 channel 750 watt (Actually 350 per side)mixer in a box with 2 15" 2-way horn loaded mains, 2 mics, 2 100' speaker cables, and 2 mic cables. Total cost delivered was around $1300. I looked everywhere I could think of. I couldnt get a similar P.A. and 2 speakers for less than $2000. All I have to say is I'm sold. I have been considering buying the ae185 accoustic electric for about a year now and I think you just helped me make my decision. you can't go wrong with Carvin!

I went to a local music store to try out a line6 pod. I decided to try out a Les Paul vintage re-issue (not exactly sure what model) - it was going for about $2500. It was a fine guitar - I've always liked Pauls. When I got home, I broke out my Carvin DC-747 (7 string). It's a tung-oiled koa neck & body. I was pleasantly suprised to find out it blew the Paul away in terms of looks, sound and playability. It wasn't a side-by-side comparison, but the memory of the Pauls performance was fresh in my mind, and there was really no comparison. The kicker is this Carvin is basically my dream guitar, with every option I want on it, and it came in under $1000 shipped! Carvin guitars rule!
BTW, I agree about resale value. I have to wonder why Steve Vai doesn't have his own signature model - he has an amp (Legacy) made by Carvin. I'll bet he is still under contractual obligation to Ibanez. My guess is he would do it if he could. That would sure be a shot in the arm for Carvin!

I went to a local music store to try out a line6 pod. I decided to try out a Les Paul vintage re-issue (not exactly sure what model) - it was going for about $2500. It was a fine guitar - I've always liked Pauls. When I got home, I broke out my Carvin DC-747 (7 string). It's a tung-oiled koa neck & body. I was pleasantly suprised to find out it blew the Paul away in terms of looks, sound and playability. It wasn't a side-by-side comparison, but the memory of the Pauls performance was fresh in my mind, and there was really no comparison. The kicker is this Carvin is basically my dream guitar, with every option I want on it, and it came in under $1000 shipped! Carvin guitars rule!
BTW, I agree about resale value. I have to wonder why Steve Vai doesn't have his own signature model - he has an amp (Legacy) made by Carvin. I'll bet he is still under contractual obligation to Ibanez. My guess is he would do it if he could. That would sure be a shot in the arm for Carvin!

DC-10

I Thank The Guitar Gods For Givin These Dudes The Smarts And The Tallent For Bringingin These Extrordanoiry Peices Of Wood To Life...
I Got A DC-10 in My 15th Birthday... I Love That Bitch More Than Life Itself...
Everyone whos played it is blown shit away by the fantastic action, the phasein and out and the 22 pole humbuckers...
I hope some one at carvin would resurect this great fine piece of eastern hard rock maple....
i modified mine with a Washburn Wonderbar...so as not to have to drill thru the body..
It is The Best Guitar Anyone Has Ever Made..
It Cosst $500.00 In 1978.. i think it was one of the first catalogs the dudes ever put out..lol... i called the 800 # in the rolling stone ads..lol
and i would give my life for that guitar.. i f anyone has one ... please feel free to comment.. or just drop a line any way,,, my silly webpage is www.geocities.com/spiderman44446969/Spideys_Web
Thank You All.. And Keep Jammin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who knows of a link web site for star guitar rigs

I am looking for some sort of data base that has links to multiple guitar heros rigs. I am leaning on the younger blood. I want to know what the young bands on tours now are using now for live shows. Any input would be great.Thanks

check this site out!

http://www.guitargeek.com/ <--- search for star's set up!

Notation software with chordboxes for Mac.

Please - does anyone know of a software notation program for the Macintosh, that doesn't cost the earth, which has a customizable chord box feature?

Re: Notation software with chordboxes for Mac.

www.cnet.com

TAKAMINE AD-1 DSP PREAMP

TAKAMINE AD-1 DSP PREAMP

This popular thread has been given its own page : TAKAMINE AD-1 DSP PREAMP

Wanting to trade Ibanez universe.....

I want to trade my Ibanez Universe UV777BK for american made Bc rich 7 string. The universe is in like new condition, and is less then a year old. Any question, comments or any inquiries, email me. Thanks ED

Re: Wanting to trade Ibanez universe.....

: I want to trade my Ibanez Universe UV777BK for american made Bc rich 7 string. The universe is in like new condition, and is less then a year old. Any question, comments or any inquiries, email me. Thanks ED

Yo are you the same guy from Guitar.com?

i will trade a squire 7 string stagemaster 7 for an ibanez if its a 7 string

:your a peice of shit thats not worth it.ed.

Goya (by C.F. Martin) Acoustic/Electric Guitar (Model G600E N)

Goya (by C.F. Martin) Acoustic/Electric Guitar (Model G600E N)

This popular thread has been given its own page : Goya (by C.F. Martin) Acoustic/Electric Guitar (Model G600E N)

Guild Copicat tape echo

Does anyone out there have any idea what a old Guild CopiCat tape echo unit would be worth these days? It was made by Watkins of England. Its a continuous tape loop echo, like the old echoplex. Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Guild Copicat tape echo

: Does anyone out there have any idea what a old Guild CopiCat tape echo unit would be worth these days? It was made by Watkins of England. Its a continuous tape loop echo, like the old echoplex. Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

: : Does anyone out there have any idea what a old Guild CopiCat tape echo unit would be worth these days? It was made by Watkins of England. Its a continuous tape loop echo, like the old echoplex. Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I just got one but don't know much about it if you know which tube it takes in the first socket (6e--) i would be greatful if any one could tell me. I got mine for $50.00 in vere good condition.

: Does anyone out there have any idea what a old Guild CopiCat tape echo unit would be worth these days? It was made by Watkins of England. Its a continuous tape loop echo, like the old echoplex. Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

: : Does anyone out there have any idea what a old Guild CopiCat tape echo unit would be worth these days? It was made by Watkins of England. Its a continuous tape loop echo, like the old echoplex. Any info on this unit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hello, it depends on the state, 100% or in bad condition, normally dutch fl. 300-400

ALLRIGHT ALLYOU WEB GUITAR FREAKS GIVE ME DA LINKS

I want it all! particularly gear ,gear reviews , rigs of the pros & great guitar sites and any thing you can think of!

heres mine...

my faves are...

guitar.about.com
guitartricks.com
guitargeek.com
ibanez.com
carvin.com
espguitars.com
fender.com
gibson.com

Re: ALLRIGHT ALLYOU WEB GUITAR FREAKS GIVE ME DA LINKS

: I want it all! particularly gear ,gear reviews , rigs of the pros & great guitar sites and any thing you can think of!

Here's my homepage :
http://www.bensnet.fsnet.co.uk

Need info on Voxton guitar

Need info on Voxton guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Need info on Voxton guitar

Looking for the best program to make guitar music in my pc

Hello outthere I just buy a pc and I'm trying to make all my music (fullscores) on it but I don't know what to buy. I'm thinking on the cakewalk Guitar Studio 2 but I have no idea if I need something more than my pc (i'ts a gateway 7500, I have multimedia player but I don't know if I need more stuff)or if I need to install a souncard and If need one what should I buy.
I woujd apreciate any help, thank you

Re: Artists using Guitar Picks

I would like to know about a few artists who use guitar
picks while playing so that I can learn to play their
songs on the guitar. Could anyone please provide me
with some specific names? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Pleasy contact me via email. Thanks

GUITAR TUTORIAL WEBSITE

GUITAR  TUTORIAL WEBSITE

This popular thread has been given its own page : GUITAR TUTORIAL WEBSITE

Free ads. for musicians...online

Bands and musicians post your adverts free at Acetutor.net

Guitars for sale

Classical acoustic, B.M Concert. Good condition £45.
Electric Bass, Fender Precission Copy. Good condition, ideal begginers instrument £45.

Re: Free ads. for musicians...online

we are looking for a lead guitarist, please no beginers; influence Clapton, Page .Santana......others. PLease give us a call at 305-235-2572 or just leave a messageutor.net

Re: Free ads. for musicians...online

: Bands and musicians post your adverts free at Acetutor.net

funky latin GROOVE bassplayer wanted for australian tour

Im looking for a very funky latin reggae rocky bass guitarist vocalist to complete a three piece christian acoustic electric lineup for up and coming concerts and tour of the gold coast and main cities of australia starting around june - july 2001

Re: funky latin GROOVE CHRISTIAN bassplayer wanted for australian tour

: Im looking for a very funky latin reggae rocky bass player vocalist to complete a three piece christian acoustic electric lineup for up and coming concerts and tour of the gold coast and main cities of australia starting around june - july 2001

Re: funky latin GROOVE CHRISTIAN bassplayer wanted for australian tour

hola hombre
i play bass. i sing in tune. i'm ok.
let me know some more.
thanks
guido

Top Songwriter Lyricist Arranger Composer Available

I am a very prolific songwriter arranger composer and can write almost any music style. My credits are untold soundtrack production for television, written rock musicals and won the song for 2000 Canterbury New Zealand which was broadcast around the world on the new dawn of 2000.

Back-up singers needed

A new R&B act is seeking back-up singers for major funded tour.

Check out

www.mp3.com/Matisse_Online

For style of music

Established Band in NYC Needs Bassist With Vocals!

Bassist needed for band. Vocals preferred We have one CD out and another one ready to go. Gig mostly in NYC.....looking to take a week or two and tour. Style: Pop/Punk, Rock.

anyone need a guitarist for full time touring?

I'm sick of playing with bands who only feel like playing one fucking show a month! I'm ready to tour alot! My style is close to pantera,slayer,overkill, old metallica and all that brutal shit! I reside on a resevation near hogansburg NY[thats upstate near the canadian border. I've traveled as far as Vegas to play but that was a failed attempt so I want be a little closer to home this time! I am extremely serious about this and i wont fuck around. hit me up at
steamypuke@hotmail.com p.s. I have some chops I'd like to work in, I'm 18, I have a fairly loud practise amp,guitar huh! and I dont want to work for peanuts anymore, did that, dont like it!

Guitarist and Drummer Wanted

Guitarist and drummer wanted for New York City/New Jersey based, established female fronted power pop band. Must have own transportation. Influences: Motley Crue, Pat Benetar, Kiss, AC/DC. Originals and covers. Available immediately. For more information, please e-mail or call (201) 634-0516, (917) 406-5979, or (201) 260-9660. Ask for Courtney.

we need a nice bassist/guitarist/

we need more members for our band we're doing this not just for a hobby but because we are really serious and we're looking forward to get signed so we dont care if you're a male or female as long as you play good and willing to stay in LA....and of course has an enough money to stay there okay!!!!

if you want us and you're serious enough just email me and we will talk,,

utopia frontwoman

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.