Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2000

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Need information about my FRAMUS!!!!!

I know a bit about those guitars. Especially the Akkerman model. Can you give me a description?

Trevor.

: May be able to help - I have some contemporary reviews and know a bit about the guitars. In 1974 is most likely either a Nashville (solid, shaped a bit like a Musicman Eddie Van Halen) or a Jan Akkerman (semi with one F-hole shaped like a big Les Paul).

: : Does anybody know where I can find
: : more information abot my `74 Framus electric Guitar???

Boss GT3

I need some new patches because I'm too lazy to make my own. Could someone please give me a web site that gives me some or can someone send me some of their own?? FANX dudes.

Guitar Tuning.......

I'm a newbie, and still learning to read music, etc...I ran across some tablature that stated: "Tuning: D A D G B E " How do you tune the sixth string (E) to D?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Glenn

just turn the nob back a little untill it's a D. My $30 fender guitar tuner helps immeasurably n/t

: I'm a newbie, and still learning to read music, etc...I ran across some tablature that stated: "Tuning: D A D G B E " How do you tune the sixth string (E) to D?

: Thanks in advance for any info.

: Glenn

Re: Guitar Tuning.......

i had the same prob dood

ya tune the e down one step. dats 2 semi-tones or frets. it should match the 4th string, d, except an octave lower, and there ya go. thats called dropped d tuning.
rock on

need opinions on silvertone

hey does silvertone make good electric guitars? i need some opinions. sound, quality, etc.? thanx

Re: need opinions on silvertone

Hey Dude. I am going to get a silvertone real soon so I will get back to you on that.

just got a used sylvertone

hi i just bought a used sylver tone from the 70s at a garage sale for like 8$.right now im workin on it beacause theres a ground probleme.but the body is not original its hand made i no that and i just want to no if im gona get a prety good sound out of this any ways .the original body was an arch top semi acoustic u no whit the f hole and it was very nice.any ways thank you very much ...jesse

Re: need opinions on silvertone

I just bought a silvertone made by samick model ssg-21 used at a pawn shop, I'll admit its no professional model, but this guitar is sweet, nice feel, great smooth sound. I paid $90.00

best web site to help beginner learn about amps?

I would like to research amps, and would like help finding a site that would help me out.

Re: best web site to help beginner learn about amps?

www.harmony-central.com

Unplayed Gibson 1961 SG

I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

Re: Unplayed Gibson 1961 SG

: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

Well 61' was the first year of production, and if is NOS mint, that could rake in $1,000's of dollars. You could ask somebody in the Gibson Forum, at Gibson.com, what they think. They have employees that answer questions for you. I'd say you could at least get $5,000 for it easy, if its perfect.

be very careful. If it is an SG, it's probably a '62
instead of a 61. 61's were Les Pauls but Les didn't
like the changed instrument and insisted that his name not be associated with them. In 62 the name was changed to SG (solid guitar), and Les Pauls weren"t
made again until 1968, returning to the original shape: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

: Well 61' was the first year of production, and if is NOS mint, that could rake in $1,000's of dollars. You could ask somebody in the Gibson Forum, at Gibson.com, what they think. They have employees that answer questions for you. I'd say you could at least get $5,000 for it easy, if its perfect.

: be very careful. If it is an SG, it's probably a '62
: instead of a 61. 61's were Les Pauls but Les didn't
: like the changed instrument and insisted that his name not be associated with them. In 62 the name was changed to SG (solid guitar), and Les Pauls weren"t
: made again until 1968, returning to the original shape: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

:

GET YOUR BEST PRICE AND THEN EMAIL ME I"LL TOP IT FOR SURE!!!!!

Wait a second...

So you're saying that the SG came into being in 61, as the new 'Les Paul', but this was short lived due to Mr. Paul's objections? So there is no such thing as a 62 - 67 'Gibson Les Paul'?!? Wow, that is news to me - doesn't that make the 61 'Les Paul SGs' a super collector's item?

: : be very careful. If it is an SG, it's probably a '62
: : instead of a 61. 61's were Les Pauls but Les didn't
: : like the changed instrument and insisted that his name not be associated with them. In 62 the name was changed to SG (solid guitar), and Les Pauls weren"t
: : made again until 1968, returning to the original shape: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

: :

: GET YOUR BEST PRICE AND THEN EMAIL ME I"LL TOP IT FOR SURE!!!!!

Here's a link...

http://www.bbmusic.bc.ca/gibson/sg.html

: So you're saying that the SG came into being in 61, as the new 'Les Paul', but this was short lived due to Mr. Paul's objections? So there is no such thing as a 62 - 67 'Gibson Les Paul'?!? Wow, that is news to me - doesn't that make the 61 'Les Paul SGs' a super collector's item?

: : : be very careful. If it is an SG, it's probably a '62
: : : instead of a 61. 61's were Les Pauls but Les didn't
: : : like the changed instrument and insisted that his name not be associated with them. In 62 the name was changed to SG (solid guitar), and Les Pauls weren"t
: : : made again until 1968, returning to the original shape: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

: : :

: : GET YOUR BEST PRICE AND THEN EMAIL ME I"LL TOP IT FOR SURE!!!!!

I'm no expert, but I was told the SG was the original 'Les Paul', pre 58/59, whenever the current shape came into being. After the new version came along, the original 'Les Paul' became the 'Les Paul SG', which became simply the 'SG' in the latter part of 1961. If it has a cover over the truss rod adjustment that says 'Les Paul' on it, it is what I understand to be a 'Les Paul SG', the last of which were made in the first few months of 1961. I am lucky enough to have one of these '61 Les Paul SGs, but it has been through the wringer - the neck broken several times, then steamed apart on my behalf to repair it to its original shape, and fiberglassed for strength; the whammy system long gone before I bought it. I didn't know what I was buying, I was young and getting my first electric, saw a used Gibson within my price range, and grabbed it. On the back of the headstock is branded the # 247. I have no idea what yours is worth, but considering that everyone who has offered an opinion has also offered to buy it for that price, I'd put its value somewhat higher than what they are offering.

: be very careful. If it is an SG, it's probably a '62
: instead of a 61. 61's were Les Pauls but Les didn't
: like the changed instrument and insisted that his name not be associated with them. In 62 the name was changed to SG (solid guitar), and Les Pauls weren"t
: made again until 1968, returning to the original shape: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

: : Well 61' was the first year of production, and if is NOS mint, that could rake in $1,000's of dollars. You could ask somebody in the Gibson Forum, at Gibson.com, what they think. They have employees that answer questions for you. I'd say you could at least get $5,000 for it easy, if its perfect.

: I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

anywhere from $4,500 to $6,500 depending on how "mint"
it is.If he wants to sell it i'm looking for a '61 SG
oliver

: : I have a friend who has inherited an unused 1961 Gibson SG in new condition.. It was bought by a relative in 1961 who never learned to play and has everything from the tags through to original strings. Any idea on it's current value?

:
: anywhere from $4,500 to $6,500 depending on how "mint"
: it is.If he wants to sell it i'm looking for a '61 SG
: oliver

it is probally worth 3500 - 4500, depending on how well maintaned and stored.
if it is in as good as shap as it sounds i would consider buying it

mesa boogie v-twin preamp pedal

any feedback on this pedal would be great. thinking about buying it and want to know the pros and cons.

Re: mesa boogie v-twin preamp pedal

: any feedback on this pedal would be great. thinking about buying it and want to know the pros and cons.

I have one and I love it. It gets pretty hairy, I think it has more of a Marshall-ish sound than a Boogie. I think one of the draw backs is that you can't get the levels even for both channels. I use it for a high gain sound and I use a Fulldrive 2(which I also love) for more of a medium gain. I guess you might want to see if it matches up well with your amp.

: : any feedback on this pedal would be great. thinking about buying it and want to know the pros and cons.

: I have one and I love it. It gets pretty hairy, I think it has more of a Marshall-ish sound than a Boogie. I think one of the draw backs is that you can't get the levels even for both channels. I use it for a high gain sound and I use a Fulldrive 2(which I also love) for more of a medium gain. I guess you might want to see if it matches up well with your amp.

I bought one by mail. The bloke at the shop said he would take it back if I didn't like it - but NOBODY doesn't like these.
I took it out of the box, plugged in my headphones and was very impressed - and that was the clean sound !
I basically use it for the high gain solos (most of them). I run it into a Fender twin which I set up both channels clean with channel one running a higher level.
I bypass the vtwin for normal rhythm.
I use the blues setting for a cruchy rhythm.
High gain for most solos
Bypass and channel 1 on the twin for clean solos.
This takes care of all I need at the moment.

You can definitely get the channels to match up. There is a "clean" gain control on the bottom side so you can have the master gain all the way up for mean rip-you-to-shreds guitar tones and still switch over to crystal clean tones. It's one awesome pedal.

: any feedback on this pedal would be great. thinking about buying it and want to know the pros and cons.

I've owned a vtwin for a while and I Love it -but it is very dependent on what it's plugged into.It sounds fabulous on clean fendery type amps but I don't like it at all on the marshall type amps I've used it with.So in closing,Try it with your amp you might love it.

I don't live in U.S. , do you have any idea how many does it cost there, because I'll go to california next
month and I don't have credit card so I'll pay it cash

Thanks

Switching from Clean to Distortion.....???

I saw on the Mesa Boogie page there was this preamp that came with a 4 button footswitch. It is possible to hook up a 4 button footswitch to a 1/2 stack, full stack or combo amp. This does not have to apply to Mesa Boogie. As you can see, I want to switch between Clean Tone and Distortion while playing. Any help? Thanks.

Re: Switching from Clean to Distortion.....???

just get a regular footswitch

they vary from brand of amp. like peavy amps only take peavy footswitchs'.

Re: Switching from Clean to Distortion.....???

If you have good pickups and are playing live, try a regular A/B box. Run channel A to your amp for the distortion, and run Channel B direct to the mixing board for a super clean tone.

Praise & Worship

I am trying to find the chords or tabs to the praise and worship song "There's A Stirring Deep Within Me"

Please Help.
Thanks

Re: Praise & Worship

: I am trying to find the chords or tabs to the praise and worship song "There's A Stirring Deep Within Me"

: Please Help.
: Thanks

Here's your address.
http://www.mercyme.org/lyrics/Traces%20of%20Rain%20Vol.%201/Stirring.txt

Re: Praise & Worship

: I am trying to find the chords or tabs for the album "above all" by 'lenny leblanc' if you would send it to me through mail, i would be very grateful to u
thanks

: Please Help.
: Thanks

Id on a "dobro"

On the LP (and subsequent CDs) of 'My Sportin' Life' with John Kay of the Steppenwolf, see link http://store.steppenwolf.com/wolf.cgi/CD148?daQkirGP;;56, there appears a "Dobro" on the cover page. C an anybody identify the brand and model, I have attempted but failed.

Re: Id on a "dobro"

I have a Dobro, but do not know who made it, because it only says "Dobro" on the top of the neck but I do have the number off of it, it is 8 1332 1D. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. Email me and let me know if you have any ideas or info.

Thanks!

blind tests

I have always wanted to see REAL blind tests on things like : Fender USA new active bass against the mexican version, Gibson std les Paul against an Epiphone with replacement Duncan pick-ups, etc etc.
Do You dare to check these things out ? - I'm sure few of us would read absolutely everything about it.

Re: blind tests

: I have always wanted to see REAL blind tests on things like : Fender USA new active bass against the mexican version, Gibson std les Paul against an Epiphone with replacement Duncan pick-ups, etc etc.
: Do You dare to check these things out ? - I'm sure few of us would read absolutely everything about it.

After you buy a Epiphone and buy new upgrade pick ups you would have spent around the same amount of money as a Gibson Les Paul Stuido. That have the same pick ups as the Gibson Les Paul Standard or you could buy a used Les Paul Stuido for the price of a epihone

Books or Pages on 12's

Just finally bought a Taylor 335 jumbo 12, and am now looking for books or web pages to find theory or anything else on the twelve string. Oh yes, this is excalibur pulled out of sam ashes stone!

How much is my guitar worth??

Hi, first of all this is the first time I have ever seen this page, it is super cool.
Anyway I procured an Ibenaz ST-105 several years ago pretty cheap. I am looking to see
how much I might be able to get for it today. I know noone cand see it but it is a tobacco
sunburst and has two humbuckers. It is a hard tail and looks sort of like a gibson paul.
Does anyone have a clue? Thanks, steve a

Re: How much is my guitar worth??

how much is a yamahaa acoustick worth 2 years old and how do u think the ibenaz heavy metal giutar pacage cost. thanks and write back

i hav a pro axe, 2 single an 1 double humbukers, 2 tone and 1 volume control and maple neck

Re: How much is my guitar worth? Ibanez S-series

: how much is a yamahaa acoustick worth 2 years old and how do u think the ibenaz heavy metal giutar pacage cost. thanks and write back

Re: How much is my guitar worth? Ibanez S-series

: how much is a Ibanez S-series worth?

mine is an ibenaz electric guitar ibanaz,md.gax70,

: mine is an ibenaz electric guitar ibanaz,Gio

: mine is an ibenaz electric guitar the neck is,rg560 the body is rg 550

.I HAVE A 1981-83 6 STRING kEN sMITH BURNER bASS IT HAS COCOBOLA BABINGA, AND SOME KIND OF BLONDE WOOD I BELIEVE IT TO BE A MAPLE

.I HAVE A 1981-83 6 STRING kEN sMITH BURNER bASS IT HAS COCOBOLA BABINGA, AND SOME KIND OF BLONDE WOOD I BELIEVE IT TO BE A MAPLE

How much is my guitar worth?

I recently purchased a used electric guitar for my daughter, Kimberly. It is in exceptionally good condition, and we are curious as to what it's price was new. It is an Ibanez, GSA20, and is black in color. Thanks!! Tom

Re: How much is my guitar worth?

I'm looking at a Takamine EP400S 12 string electric acoustic guitar used. What's it worth?
Thanks, Mark

Re: How much is my guitar worth?

:
: I recently purchased a used electric guitar.It's a blue and white kimberly guitar. It is in exceptionally good condition. My music teacher said that its from the late 60's early 70's. Can you please tell me more about this guitar... THANKS ROB

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.