Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2002

Archive for posts from December, 2002

ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2001 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2001 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2001 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2000 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2000 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2000 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: how to get a good punk rock sound

: : i am open to any ideas to get a good hard distorted punk rock sound. any pedals good or what..like green day blink-182

: Ive found that when i just use my Overdrive pedal it sounds really cool!

There really isn't any good punk sounds, so try another type of sound

ok first those bands a packaged punk. I rarely recomend this, but in your case you should get an RP-200 digitech pedal and play with it. Find your own sound. Overdrive is nice too, maybe a DS-1 boss distortion pedal or any distortion pedal. That is pretty basic, but they will all work.

: i am open to any ideas to get a good hard distorted punk rock sound. any pedals good or what..like green day blink-182

Help me out

Hey I wanna make a good sounding guitar. Would strings make any difference in the noise of it. I wanna know what kinda strings i can buy to make my guitar sound good for my band. I wanna make the sweet sound of sum 41 music. Other then that, thanks.

Re: Help me out

none of the other guys have answered your question and just said 'use an overdrive pedal'. Duh. This guy wants to know what makes a good punk sound. All the best bands use Les Pauls and marshalls but that can cost a fortune. Thats stuff like NUFAN and operation ivy or less than jake. If you really want a good punk sound you should just spend more money on an amp. The guitar can be pretty much anything and you can get a good tone. Green day use a basic fender strat with a really heavy pickup instead at the bridge. Blink have done pretty much the same thing. Really good punk bands don't use pedals just the pure tone of the amp and a guitar like a gibson sg or les paul copy. If you want to know anything else e-mail me. I am in a band that has gigged and know what sounds good live.

ps green day and blink 182 are very much punk. Green day started with the best of them. Rancid, AFI and All.
Green day just wanted to make themselves more popular and get there music heard. Anyone would do the same if there music could get that popular.

Yeah me 2

green day and blink 182 aren't punk, for the record...overdrive pedal is the way to go

If you sound like Good Charlotte or simple plan your not punk!!!!!

accoustic guitars

Need a recommendation for a accoustic guitar/Christmas present. 20 year old advanced beginner

Re: accoustic guitars

to many factors..

how much cash do you want to dump? price goes from $200 to thousands

just an accoustic or electric accoustic?

Most around $300 - $400 are fairly good sounding.

I have an Ovation, but there are many good guitars.

Also try posting at www.wholenote.com (fretbuzz is the forumn)

Good luck!

: Need a recommendation for a accoustic guitar/Christmas present. 20 year old advanced beginner

wireing diagram for dimarzio 5 way switch ep1104

I have an ibanez ex370 that makes sounds when i change pickups i went to my guitar shop and got a new 5 way switch but it looks difrent than the one i got can any i think i need a wiring diagram.
any help would be great thanks

Re: wireing diagram for dimarzio 5 way switch ep1104

seymourduncan.com should be able to help. they have alot of diagrams for almost every possible combination of wiring. Good luck.

Re: wireing diagram for 5 way switch /1 humbucker/2 single coil/1 tone/1 volume

: seymourduncan.com should be able to help. they have alot of diagrams for almost every possible combination of wiring. Good luck.

Amp Problems ...Crackling noises.....Please Help...!!!

Ive got a Fender Stage 160...It has this funny crackling noise when i play throught it using both my Ibanez Rx720 and My Fender Squier Strat and i have recently bought 2 new leads and it happens using both of them......HELP.....I took it down to my local shop...they had a look at it.....checked it over night and told me it was fine.....when i got it home it stil made the noise....Could it possibly be some kind of interference??...i really need to know....Please somebody help me!!

Re: Amp Problems ...Crackling noises.....Please Help...!!!

Start out by taking it over to a friends house and trying it out. In my apartment when ever other people turn on things that use high amperage...stoves, a/c, refrigeratos, hair dryers, etc. my amp will make popping sounds when they turn on or off these appliances. My t.v. and stereo also catch interference from these.

Re: Amp Problems ...Crackling noises.....Please Help...!!!

: Start out by taking it over to a friends house and trying it out. In my apartment when ever other people turn on things that use high amperage...stoves, a/c, refrigeratos, hair dryers, etc. my amp will make popping sounds when they turn on or off these appliances. My t.v. and stereo also catch interference from these.

Thanks man......i'll take it round on the weekend....Thanks alot

amp problems....no sound

i am a beginer guitarist and i just bought a bcr 10 amp. when i hooked it up, it seemed to be working fine but it wouldnt amplify the strings when i played. im a little confused cause i tried everything and i cant find anything wrong with it...i decided to check here before i drove all the way down to the place i got it....please tell me whats wrong and if i can fix it!

Stompbox Holy Grail

Hello!

I'm trying to replicate a rhythm guitar tone from a local band I used to love that has long since disbanded. I've got a Vetta and I've tried every stompbox I can get my hands on. It's kinda hard to describe the tone in writing, but if you can imagine Green Day at its poppiest, that's pretty close: pleasantly buzzy without being fuzzy, trebly without being whiny, punk/poppy without being too punky, kind of a juiced-up Steve Miller sound. They were around in the mid-80s, and I'm sure they used some kind of overdrive or distortion pedal that was available then.

Here's what I've tried. My favorite amp model on the Vetta is a combination of the Matchless Chieftain and the Fender Twin Reverb, with the treble and mid controls pretty far up and the bass pretty far down. When I throw in the Tube Screamer with a fairly low drive I can get pretty close. To my ear the Tube Screamer is just a little too bassy and mellow/fuzzy. Other stompboxes I've tried include:

Danelectro Grilled Cheese -- the closest to what I'm looking for, except that it's too harsh, doesn't have any variation to let me dial down the effect enought. It's nice and buzzy, trebly and nasal, but it's TOO MUCH of all of the above -- if it had a dial that could do a better job of varying the effect, it might be right on.

Fulltone Distortion Pro -- too fuzzy and bassy

TS-808 replica -- supposed to be the exact innards of a real 808, sounds pretty good (very close to the Vetta's version), but a little too thin, not buzzy enough, too mellow

Klon Centaur -- too aluminum-ish, not buzzy enough

Danelectro Fabtone -- not the one

ProCo Rat -- too "big hair"-ish

Boss pedals -- too "hard rock"-ish (kinda cheap sounding, too)

Other Vetta models -- either too bassy, too fuzzy or too hard rock-ish

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the above pedals sound fabulous, it's just not the tone I'm trying to capture.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: Stompbox Holy Grail

hey, u might want to try Line 6's distortion modeler, and i think boss has one too. but from your initial description, the first thing i thought of was the TS 808....u might want to try an eq adjustmen with that, or a booster of some sort
....good luck finding it

Free guitar material

Hi guys, I enjoy your site, just writing to let you know about some free guitar stuff I recently posted at my site (I'm a jazz guitarist who leads a funk band in Boston MA) ...just a FYI, thanks Evan
www.evangoodrow.com

active and passive pickups

i have an esp with duel emg 81's and i wanna put a seymour duncan in the bridge but leave the 81 in the neck position.would there be any problems accurring from doing that?

Re: active and passive pickups

i would highly recommend you try to contact EMG.

Ibanez GB-10JS

I have a like new Ibanez GB-10JS (the Korean made version of the GB-10). It looks, plays and sounds like a dream but I am forced to sell it at this point. Could someone give me an idea of a reasonable price to get for this fine guitar?
Thanks,
Tom

Drop tuning

I just purchased my first electric to go along with my 3 year old cheap-o yamaha accoustic. Not the point.

my question. I see a lot of tab with "Drop D" tuning, or "tune to Eb." How do I do that on either guitar. I have a capo, and a cheap tuner.

If somebody could explain at least those two, if not "drop tuning" in general, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Brian in KC

Re: Drop tuning

Drop D tuning is where you drop your low E string down to a D and leave the rest the way they are. So your tuning will look like DADGBE instead of EADGBE.

For Eb or E flat you are only tuning down a half a step to E flat. Where it makes a difference is if the music wants you to tune just the E string down that half step or all the strings.

Violin, Viola, Cello String Adjusters

We are makers of String Adjusters, Tailguts, Rosin for Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass of Best Quality

Silvertone Mini-Pot Knobs

I am in search of a knob to match the knobs on a 1961 Silvertone Jupitor guitar. The knob is black plastic and fits a min-pot volume or tone control. I am restoring the guitar in my shop and am having a heck of a time finding a matching knob. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Jim Spiers
Rock N' Roll Repair
e-mail: maverickfive@aol.com

RAT

Does sbdy have problems with TurboRat?

Martin D-28 ,1978

Martin D-28 ,1978

This popular thread has been given its own page : Martin D-28 ,1978

Eterna EF-31

Eterna EF-31

This popular thread has been given its own page : Eterna EF-31

Which brand of strings is used on all jj guitars?

i would like to know, Which brand of strings is used on all jj guitars?

Re: Which brand of strings is used on all jj guitars?

: i would like to know, Which brand of strings is used on all jj guitars?
The strings used on JJ guitars are Rotosound.

How to make a relic guitar ?

I'm searching links and ressources about the making of a relic guitar, like this one:
http://www.rhsdesign.com/fender51/resources.htm

So if you have information and knacks...

Thanks,
OlivierI'm searching links and ressources about the making of a relic guitar, like this one:
http://www.rhsdesign.com/fender51/resources.htm

So if you have information and knacks...

Thanks a lot,
Olivier

ACE TONE VM-80 mixer amp

ACE TONE VM-80  mixer amp

This popular thread has been given its own page : ACE TONE VM-80 mixer amp

Tremont guitars

Hi
I have been tied up with other projects but back at the guitars again.Flame maple quilt you name the wood we can get it .so Give me a yell www.tremontguitars.com And get a hand built guitar not one made on a machine.
Bob

What Guitars use The Hellacopters in her last LP?

Please give me help. I need know the model of guitars used by Nick Anderson and "Strigs" in the last Disck "By the grace of good" Maybe a "BURNS GUITAR" but I don´t know. Thanks.
LONG LIVE TO THE ROCK & ROLL FROM SPAIN.

Re: What Guitars use The Hellacopters in her last LP?

Nicke uses a guitar of "Tym Guitars Australia". Check out the webpage. It costs about 1300 €!
"Strings" plays a epiphone signature ( i think ) and a "Tym Guitar" too !

mixing pickups

mixing pickups

This popular thread has been given its own page : mixing pickups

listen my music,please

Hello I'm José de Castro, spanish guitarrist, I'm sorry I go into our forum
, but i want to tell you that I have recorded my first
>instrumental Cd.
>I would like you have a few moments to listen my music.
>You can hear me here www.josedecastro.net
>thank you
>Greetings
>Jose de Castro

guitar appraisal

I have a 1936 Martin R-18 f-hole orchestra guitar with a 14 1/2" wide arched top. Only 192 of these were made, all from 1932-1942. Needs some restoration. Please give me a price range that you think my guitar is worth. Thank you.

Re: guitar appraisal

: I have a 1936 Martin R-18 f-hole orchestra guitar with a 14 1/2" wide arched top. Only 192 of these were made, all from 1932-1942. Needs some restoration. Please give me a price range that you think my guitar is worth. Thank you.

Hi great guitar
I got my blue book out and was stuned at the numbers
my book is a few years old so take that into account 100%=874.00$ 98%=750.00 95%=625 90%=500.00 80%=450.00 70%=415.00 I would say you could add 10 percent cause of my book being two years old.Not the most sought after model but its worth what somone will pay and theres collectors with deep wallets good luck.

Bob www.tremontguitars.com

hi, I have a Guild model #D40NT
ser#570817
Can you tell me if its worth anything?

: hi, I have a Guild model #D40NT
: ser# DC101466
: Can you tell me if its worth anything?

hi, I have a Guild model #D40NT
ser#570817
Can you tell me if its worth anything?

Yamaha FG-230 ser #884365

u think my guitar is worth. Thank you.

: Hi great guitar
: I got my blue book out and was stuned at the numbers
: my book is a few years old so take that into account 100%=874.00$ 98%=750.00 95%=625 90%=500.00 80%=450.00 70%=415.00 I would say you could add 10 percent cause of my book being two years old.Not the most sought after model but its worth what somone will pay and theres collectors with deep wallets good luck.

: Bob www.tremontguitars.com

I have a Kalamazoo serial# 579476. I would like to know what it is worth?

Re: Gibson Bass appraisal

Please, what's the aprox value of a 1966 Model EB-6 (solid body) electric bass (high to low ball).

Thanks much,

Phil

: I have a 1936 Martin R-18 f-hole orchestra guitar with a 14 1/2" wide arched top. Only 192 of these were made, all from 1932-1942. Needs some restoration. Please give me a price range that you think my guitar is worth. Thank you.

: : I have a 1994 warwick streamer stage 1 bass in maple finish. it is in excellent condition. what is value please. thanks.chris

I have a Yamaha acoustic 12 string FG230 What is it worth?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.