Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

Advertisement
Posted by Metalaxe on Sun, 06/23/02 - 13:43:37.

I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar Mdl.# N30 Ser.# 933.It has:
2 pc. spruce top/rosewood back,sides, and peghead face/top and bottom
multi layered body binding/inlay down center of back/bound mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard w/pearl doy inlays/mother of pearl headstock logo/gold hardware. It was distributed by Veneman Music in Springfield Va. circa 1970's. Any info re: History, Value, etc... would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is beautiful. sounds phenomenal, and is an excellent player!!!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Nagoya N28

I purchased this guitar in the 70"s from Veneman's Music in Greenbelt Mall. I still have it and it plays beautifully! It needed some bracing work after warping a little. I play finger-style with emphasis on moving bass-lines and this guitar performs better than most in that area. I want to perform live and need electronics. This is why I was considering a new guitar. I think I'll keep it if I find good electronics at a reasonable price.

Re: Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

I have a Nagoya Model #NS35H, serial # 8165. It's almost a perfect copy of a Martin D-28. A paper label inside calls it a NAGOYA SUPER MODEL, and under that it says "Handcrafted by Luthiers of the Nagoya Guitar Company, Japan. The background has a light printing of several stringed instruments. I had a friend in the mid sixties who traveled from Boulder, Colorado to the Baltimore area and brought back 10 or 12 guitars to resell. Sounds like all of them came from that general area. Logo on the headstock is am "N" in a circle. It looks like mother of pearl. This has been a great guitar. Sounds great (I added a Martin thinline pickup) and I love the way it sounds plugged or unplugged. Action is great...a workhorse. I won't be parting with this one. I think I paid $250 or 300 abck then, which I remember thinking was a lot, but I'vr never regreted it.

Frank
I too purchased a NS 35 H for about $245 in 1975 and it has been a fine player for all this time. Interesting that these models had maple body binding which wasn't used until the boutique builders in the 90's(Huss and Dalton). Also a very heavy clear coat finish has kept the guitar from opening up and it sounds the same as 1974, disappointing yes, but it looks great with no weather checking which is rare.
My guess s there is no Nagoya factory but the Suzuki Company is in Nagoya, Japan and Like St. Louis Music Distributed Alvarez Guitars in the 70's, Veneman Music in the Wshington D.C. area had Suzuki Build 'em for their stores.
As far as what they're worth, About what you paid for them. I saw a N 18 for $75 on eBay a year ago. If any are solid wood,they will appreciate as Mahogany and Rosewood become less available. Bri

I have nagoya N-30, anyone tell me the history on it?

Recently, my mom passed her guitar on to me, because i wanted to learn to play, and its a Nagoya N18 she got from Veneman in the 70's, I cant seem to find anything about it on the internet but this post. If anyone gets any Info, please pass it on.

Ian

Wow, this really must be an old Nagoya revival! At least for folks that lived in the DC area around the '70s. I too have been searching the internet for information about an old Nagoya Model N-18S that I purchased in the late '70s at Veneman Music on Rockville Pike. I have several Taylors but have never given up on my Nagoya. My 14-year-old son has been learning guitar on it. It sure would be nice to have more info. I'm thinking about having some work done to it (the neck is getting a little warped...not much considering it's age).

I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar model F-10 that was purchased at Veneman's (I think it was in Rockville, MD) ...I would love ANY info regarding the this model, history, value, or ANYTHING about the company....can anyone help?

Nagoya F-10

This is the only site I found about them. It was my first guitar. I got it in the mid 70's and took my first lessons on it.
I still have it. Its pretty beat, but I don't think I will ever have the heart to sell it. I still use it. At the moment it has nylon
ball strings on it. I will say I did not get it in the Washington/Maryland area. I got mine at Zapfs Music in Philadelphia.

Thats all I have.

Jim

Nagoya N-18

Jim,
I bought mine at Zaph's as well in 1971. I love this guitar. I replaced the bridge in 2010 and it's intonation is perfect. The wood is sweet as is the sound. Bass heavy, but awesome.
I own a Martin D-35 from 1973 and love it, but I love my cheap Nagoya N-18 for its Maple back and consequent projection. When I finger pick it I can't believe its volume.
"Willie" was the salesman for both guitars.
Are you from Olney? I am.
Thom

Zapfs Music

I bought my Martin 00018 at Zapfs in 1963 and still love it.. I went to the Martin factory in the late 70's and they replaced the frets for 10.00. I picked up a Nagoya N-18 at a garage sale 3 years ago. I like to take it to places where I don't have to be concerned for the Martin's "safety." I was surprised how good it sounds and feels. Some body told me to sell my Martin and use the Nagoya all the time.. Never happen! My mother grew up in Olney in the 30's and and I in Wyncote.. Smalll world!

My Nagoya

Thom: I lived in Logan. We used to hop frieghts at 18th and Belfield and jump off
at 5th and Fisher. Mine always a had kind of high action. I changed the nut - I don't
know when. I have it in my locker at work. If I have time I'll be using it today.
Phil - did he limp and talked like he was on the verge of drooling?

Jim

Re: Nagoya Acoustic Guitars SD390

I have purchased a guitar last week - which shows name as Suzuki SD390 Nagoya. I have been unable to find anything on the internet regarding this.

Can anyone help.

I also have a Nagoya (D12-28) 12 string. I purchased it at Veneman's in 7-Corners VA back in the early 70's as well. I played it for years and just this past year I had the action lowered a bit. What a difference! It now sounds good and is much easier to play. I've looked for links on the internet pertaining to the manufacturer and have found nothing but this thread. It seems Veneman's may have been a sole distributer. I will keep searching though.

: I also have a Nagoya (D12-28) 12 string. I purchased it at Veneman's in 7-Corners VA back in the early 70's as well. I played it for years and just this past year I had the action lowered a bit. What a difference! It now sounds good and is much easier to play. I've looked for links on the internet pertaining to the manufacturer and have found nothing but this thread. It seems Veneman's may have been a sole distributer. I will keep searching though.

I purchased a Nagoya 12 string N 12-23 in 1974 at Venemaan's College Park. I was a student at U of M at the time. They had a deal where you could by a Nagoya, then with in 6 mnths, trade it in for full value and purchase the next model nagoya up. I did this one time as wanted to trade to the 12-28, but couldn't get the extra money (100) togather at the time. The 12 28 looked like an awesome guitar. I still have and play mine. Sounds good and have had to work on the action some but enjoy it. Nagoya must be out of the guitar business at least in under that name. I can not fine anything on them. I ended up on this thread via google search. Must be some kinda "nagoya" revival.

(Oops! I Hit Submit too quickly on the last post)
I also have a Nagoya N-12-23 12 string. Purchased it at Zapf's Music store in Philadelphia back in 1976 (The store has recently moved to New Jersey). I played several brands and liked the sound and the feel of the Nagoya the best. I've kept it strung with Martin Marquis strings. I got married 15 years ago and as the kids came (6 in all) I played it less and less. But found myself picking it up more and more recently. Still sounds good, although I'm sure the sound has deteriated slightly. I've noticed that the front where the bridge is attached is starting to warp slightly due to the extreme tension (but that's my fault since I tuned it like a 6-string instead of 3 frets down because I hate using a capo, and it's been strung this way constantly since '76.)
I am also unable to find any info on the company.

Re: Nagoya Acoustic Guitars & Mandolins!

I took another look at my 12 string and it is an "N" 12-28 and not a "D" as I stated previously.

Anyway, my wife and I were going through an antique shop around Baltimore and I spotted a nice looking mandolin. On close inspection, my jaw dropped when I read the word Nagoya on the headstock. It was quite an attractive looking instrument, and I would have picked it up were it not for the $165 price tag, missing cover on the tailpiece and the fact that there is no mandolin on the face of the earth that has a neck large enough for my fat fingers!

: I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar Mdl.# N30 Ser.# 933.It has:
: 2 pc. spruce top/rosewood back,sides, and peghead face/top and bottom
: multi layered body binding/inlay down center of back/bound mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard w/pearl doy inlays/mother of pearl headstock logo/gold hardware. It was distributed by Veneman Music in Springfield Va. circa 1970's. Any info re: History, Value, etc... would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is beautiful. sounds phenomenal, and is an excellent player!!!

My Nagoya was made between 1970 and 1973, and is a model N18. It is indeed a beautiful sounding piece of work. I have played mine for over 30 years, and have and will not replace. I got mine from a surburban Washington D.C. store named Veneman Music Company. If you do find anything out, drop me a note. If you're close to upstate NY, amybe we can met and do some music together. PS, Linda Ronstadt thinks it's a beauty also.

John

: : I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar Mdl.# N30 Ser.# 933.It has:
: : 2 pc. spruce top/rosewood back,sides, and peghead face/top and bottom
: : multi layered body binding/inlay down center of back/bound mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard w/pearl doy inlays/mother of pearl headstock logo/gold hardware. It was distributed by Veneman Music in Springfield Va. circa 1970's. Any info re: History, Value, etc... would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is beautiful. sounds phenomenal, and is an excellent player!!!

: My Nagoya was made between 1970 and 1973, and is a model N18. It is indeed a beautiful sounding piece of work. I have played mine for over 30 years, and have and will not replace. I got mine from a surburban Washington D.C. store named Veneman Music Company. If you do find anything out, drop me a note. If you're close to upstate NY, amybe we can met and do some music together. PS, Linda Ronstadt thinks it's a beauty also.

: John

Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Nagoya Acoustic Guitars

I also have a N-18 Nagoya which I had the inside rebuilt a few years ago by a classical guitar maker up here in Connecticut to repair it and lower the action. I must have bought it in maybe 1977 around the DC area . It may have been from Venimans music but cannot remember.I know that they were built in Japan. I have a friend in Japan who can
maybe run down the history on the guitar maker.Thos is the only info I could find on the net about Nagoya.

: : I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar Mdl.# N30 Ser.# 933.It has:
: : 2 pc. spruce top/rosewood back,sides, and peghead face/top and bottom
: : multi layered body binding/inlay down center of back/bound mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard w/pearl doy inlays/mother of pearl headstock logo/gold hardware. It was distributed by Veneman Music in Springfield Va. circa 1970's. Any info re: History, Value, etc... would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is beautiful. sounds phenomenal, and is an excellent player!!!

: My Nagoya was made between 1970 and 1973, and is a model N18. It is indeed a beautiful sounding piece of work. I have played mine for over 30 years, and have and will not replace. I got mine from a surburban Washington D.C. store named Veneman Music Company. If you do find anything out, drop me a note. If you're close to upstate NY, amybe we can met and do some music together. PS, Linda Ronstadt thinks it's a beauty also.

: John

: I have a Nagoya acoustic guitar Mdl.# N30 Ser.# 933.It has:
: 2 pc. spruce top/rosewood back,sides, and peghead face/top and bottom
: multi layered body binding/inlay down center of back/bound mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard w/pearl doy inlays/mother of pearl headstock logo/gold hardware. It was distributed by Veneman Music in Springfield Va. circa 1970's. Any info re: History, Value, etc... would be greatly appreciated. This guitar is beautiful. sounds phenomenal, and is an excellent player!!!

My Nagoya was made between 1970 and 1973, and is a model N18. It is indeed a beautiful sounding piece of work. I have played mine for over 30 years, and have and will not replace. I got mine from a surburban Washington D.C. store named Veneman Music Company. If you do find anything out, drop me a note. If you're close to upstate NY, amybe we can met and do some music together. PS, Linda Ronstadt thinks it's a beauty also.

John

I just won an Ebay auction for a Nagoya acoustic in the 000 Martin bodystyle. Can't wait to get it, from what I'ev read on this message board, I think I'll be pleased with it! I'd love some more information about the Nagoya line, if anyone can come across anything.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.