Does anyone know about marlin electric guitars?

Posted by shawn on Sat, 07/27/02 - 09:40:19.

Hi i have a marlin pa-10t....Does anyone know anything about this particular guitar? It has a sunburst finish w/ black around the body. It has two volume knobs,3-way switch, and 2 pickups. Any comments will help thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

marlin loner

looking for a bridge for a marlin loner can anyone help

Marlin by Hohner (Hohner were good way back then)

http://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2014/07/more-marlin-guitars-late-1980s.html

Marlin Stingray

A superb guitar (if you get one from the early/mid eighties).... later ones were costed down.

Mine sounds and plays brilliantly. Bought it for £69 in 2012.

Here is what it looks and sounds like: http://soundcloud.com/hotspanna/rockmebaby-guitar-instrumental

Re: Does anyone know about marlin electric guitars?

: Hi i have a marlin pa-10t....Does anyone know anything about this particular guitar? It has a sunburst finish w/ black around the body. It has two volume knobs,3-way switch, and 2 pickups. Any comments will help thanks.

I have a Marlin Les Paul copy,(black).Solid body.

I bought mine from the Eaton's department store in Canada,around 1974.It was made in Japan.Has two chrome pickups I believe they are Alnico magnets and not humbuckers.Has 2 Vol&2 tone controls with 2 switches to select between the 2 pickups or both.

The body feels like it might be basswood but am not sure.

I like the sound of mine,and would be interested if anyone has one for sale that is good condition.

E-mail wrayarendt@sbcglobal.net

Re: i have a marlin.

i bought it from a friend; its a good guitar and im happy with it, but i dont know the model, i just know its a marlin, it is kind of a copy of an Ibanez, it annoys me because i want to know what i have, any suggestions?

i have a marlin..and am the same cant get any history on it i have never seen one the same...its an electric marlin stingray in silver..my dad bought it for me about 15 years ago from his mate at the pub who was skint and really needed the money..lol..its had some hammer and its still in mint condition and sounds awesome :) ..i love it!

I bought one new in 1986-it was my first electric. Metallic black, and looked and sounded pretty good for what it was. I've never seen another.

Re: i own a marlin they fooking rock!!!

i own one!!

I have just bougt a marlin loner of ebay for 27 squid, i have no idea what theyre like but the one i have bought has some shit glued on and the bridge is done , the headstock screwed back togethar and is missing the bridge humbucker. I hope they fix up easy as this is just my temperary guitar until i can afford my fender jaguar which ill stick a humbucker in, i bought this guitar as i sold my explorer to get the jag money as my jag obsession is continuing and i still am 100 or so what im after in money so i hope this marlin can fill in rhythmical duites until my jag shows up,ill let you all know if i can make it a kick ass guitar or wether i should have bought a new watch or something with the money,

i have marlin loner. it sucks. =)

Anyone know how much is a Marlin bass that look exactly like a gibson SG 1963??

Anyone know how much is a Marlin bass that look exactly like a gibson SG 1963??

ive got a marlin. bought it off a mate for £70 years ago, swapped it back with him for a surfboard, then bought it back off him in december for £30. they were made by a company called british music strings that was based in wales (it says that on the neckplate). mine was originaly white with 2 single coils and humbucker in the bridge, with 5way selector, 1 volume, 1 tone. But i am in the process of customising it. i have created a wicked distressed-psychadelic-vomit-burning-water-punk1977 paint job and i am making a black scratch plate, removing the two single coils and replacing the 'bucker with a seymour duncan and doing away with the 5way selector switch. it should all be finished by the end of january '03 ready for playing in the band im in: the blue super giants.

Not sure bout the guitar but i've got a British Music Strings- Marlin amp!!! made by the same peeps as your guitars, it's the 10L model n it it 40W. That's all i know bout it. If anyone can tell me where the f*** it came from I would be most greatful. Total beast of an amp.

Re: Marlin Loner

I have A Marlin Loner. They were very popular in the 1980's. Mine plays very well, it has a solid body finished in white with no scratch plate. has 2 humbuckers , one at bridge & one at neck with a single coil in between. It has a 5 way selector switch & 2 swithches that switch each of the humbuckers to single coil if required.
Mine has an extremely low action with locking head nut & tremelo & is in mint condition.
I originally paid £80 for it in about 1986, it was originally sold at £120 in early 1980.
I have several guitars & this one still remains my favourite for playing Shadows/Ventures type instrumentals.

marlin loner

I have a marlin loner .got it from r&t music in barrow.the guitar is in mint condition.not a mark.these guitars are severely under rated.if set up properly they sound beautiful.yes there heavy but get a decent strap and its no probs

I have a Marlin Loner DS-1. I bought it for five pounds and a can of fosters - it has no single coil, as this has been removed at some point in its mysterious life. It used to be used in a punk band during the 80s, i now have it as a momento to 80s hair metal. I must admit mine plays shit, but looks cool & i'd love to one day spruce it up a bit and give it the respect that a british made guitar deserves...

i've have a marlin loner. metallic red, 2 humbucker, one single coil, 5way sel, two switches for humbuckers, lock nut and tremolo arm. i paid £150 for it a long time ago. i like it, it's very low action and sounds great because of the multiple settings you can do.

why can't i find any pictures of one on the net. are they rare? there's one identical to mine in 'Branigans bar', peter street, manchester, it's in a glass display above gambling machine with another posh looking guitar.

does anyone think they are worth much today??

yeh i've been looking for pictures and crap for ages i can't find anything for loners it's a pain in the ass, if anyone knows anything about it give us a shout

: I have A Marlin Slammer. The paintwork is chipped, but otherwise in good condition. it is black with a white scratchplate, 2 tone controls, 1 volume and a five way selecter, it is my first guitar, but plays well.

i've also got a marlin slammer (same style). i don't know anyone who has one either and nobody has heard of the company.

Have a look at www.bluetoothbookinc.com and go to Marlin guitars

Marlin Loner: They are British Made in early 1980 by English Electric Guitars based at a factory I believe in Wales

Help

what are the two switches for and what do they do on the side of the guitar

what are the towo switches for and what do they do

I too have a marlin, a marlin sidewinder, a strat style body, with humbucker - single coil - single coil pickup lectrics, and a little switch thing that turns the humbucker into a singlecoil, fantastic guitar, gorgeous sound and excellent action, flloyd rose stylee bridge, with locking neck, ace and only £95.

I had a Marlin Loner as my

I had a Marlin Loner as my first guitar. It was dreadful, weighed a ton, action like a longbow but still managed to have fret buzz on pretty much every fret. It was so bad that it really held my playing back. I took it to bits just so no one else would ever have to play it.

i have a marlin loner with 2 humbs and a single coil between does ne1 know anything about it?

: i have a marlin loner with 2 humbs and a single coil between does ne1 know anything about it?

i also have a marlin loner and i also no nothing about them
i was given it, it had previously toured europe with a friend.

good luck on your search

i have a Marlin Slammer which is a really nice red and white strat... thats not useful to you in any way but it's still worthy of a mention. I also (by pure chance) have a Marlin bass... I haven't really looked into it before but i think that Marlin guitars were taken over by HOHNER, hope that might help you...

My son has a Marlin LONER its silver with red edging on the body, a rosewood faced neck with red fret markers. There are three pick-ups (two humbuckers and one single coil).

A plate is on the back of the body and says BRITISH MUSIC STRINGS,WALES,U.K. with the serial no. 8010303.This guitar dates back to the 70s and was played on stage and T.V. by a group called AIRBORNE who won a UK talent show (OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS) for six weeks.It was bought for approx. £400 by a member of the band and a relative who was also in the band sold it me six years ago for £50.

I am told that MARLIN were taken over by HOHNER and in my opinion the quality has suffered.The guitar is heavy and takes a lot of setting up but is worth it.My son also has an IBANEZ RG550 and says the MARLIN plays well but nowhere near the 550.

I hope the info may be of some use,please let me know if you find any more,HAPPY HUNTING.

TERRY F.

I picked up an amp recently

I picked up an amp recently for £15, its all natural wood and looks like a coffee table, I cant get it working though, because i know nothing about electrics, but it too has a sticker on the back saying "BRITISH MUSIC STRINGS LTD., SOUTH WALES, UK"

: My son has a Marlin LONER its silver with red edging on the body, a rosewood faced neck with red fret markers. There are three pick-ups (two humbuckers and one single coil).

: A plate is on the back of the body and says BRITISH MUSIC STRINGS,WALES,U.K. with the serial no. 8010303.This guitar dates back to the 70s and was played on stage and T.V. by a group called AIRBORNE who won a UK talent show (OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS) for six weeks.It was bought for approx. £400 by a member of the band and a relative who was also in the band sold it me six years ago for £50.

: I am told that MARLIN were taken over by HOHNER and in my opinion the quality has suffered.The guitar is heavy and takes a lot of setting up but is worth it.My son also has an IBANEZ RG550 and says the MARLIN plays well but nowhere near the 550.

: I hope the info may be of some use,please let me know if you find any more,HAPPY HUNTING.

: TERRY F.

i own two of these guitars both bought in the 80s
the first one was purchesed in aprox 86 after discusing the merits with bms who were still trading back then .
the first was a sidewinder serial 7110005.this was
fitted with a double humbucker and two singles-i have just
stripped this m/c to carry out rebuild and respray -our
friends abroad wernt too fussy about qc in those days.
the second m/c is a jasmine semi acoustic serial 8020655 fitted with an active peizo bridge pick up.the build quality on this m/c is far superior, i have enjoyed
playing these guitars all these years and and hope to carry on for some time yet.
[the purchess of a les paul this week prompted the rebuild]
ps. sorry about the delay only got on the net this week!!
fellow guitarist
dave smith.

Marlin

I bougth at a flea market a guitar. Red Marlin number 7101717.
Someone has changed mikrophones, where I get original spare parts ?
the guitar body ok but the parts have been changet.

I've got a Marlin LONER left handed. The guitars were marketed by BMS but I am lead to believe were built by Samick. They are heavy for a ply body, but the quality is pretty good for a cheapish guitar. I'm dubious about the £400 tag you mention, I can remember seeing them in a shop for around £100 in the early eighties. BTW: I believe they were only made in the eighties and the style is certainly of that era. I picked one up in excellen condition about 12 years ago for £75. The sound it puts out is pretty top notch too, great pickups, good resonance. I love it, apart from mine is a metallic red colour which I'm not too made up about.

Re: Yeah I have one

I have a Marlin Sidewinderit is glittery sliver and a neck that has given me trouble but it is my first bass and heres me looking into it. It has 1 twin coil and one the usual precision single coils.

good to know some else has one in the world.

I will find out some history on the guitar for you. My dad was in Airbourne.

:I recall the guitaris in an old band of mine,having a Marlin Sidewinder. It was by far the most horrible thing ive ever had the misfortune to try and sing along with.Wouldnt staay in tune,had a pointless tremelo etc.YEEEUCCH! Horrid thing!

i have a Marlin Slammer which is a really nice red and white strat... thats not useful to you in any way but it's still worthy of a mention. I also (by pure chance) have a Marlin bass... I haven't really looked into it before but i think that Marlin guitars were taken over by HOHNER, hope that might help you...

Marlin Slammer

Bought my Marlin Slammer about 1985.The Slammer was slightly cheaper than the Sidewinder. My Slammer is red and was made in The GDR. The action is a little high but have been told this can be rectified at not to much cost.

Marlin Sidewinder - The Forgotten Legend

Read this:
http://planetbotch.blogspot.no/2012/07/marlin-sidewinder-forgotten-legend.html

Planetbotch has some useful

Planetbotch has some useful info, but is rather inaccurate comparing Marlins with Korean Squiers. Early MIK squier models (87-88) definitely had solid wood bodies, quality hardware, don't have microphonic pickups and are far superior to any Marlin. Squier quality only really fell off in 89 which are the models think the planetbotch bloke is basing his opinions on.

Marlin

Just bought one for £40 from my guitar teacher, the pickups weren't working. So I put a new 5 way selector switch in. It works like a dream now. The sound is somewhere between a fender and a Gibson. Best 40 bucks I spent of my life.

red lefty

i have a red lefty since 1987. i loved it and the feel though it was a bit heavy compaired to others, i gave it to my brother about ten years ago to learn on and he had it in the loft for about the past 8 years, my friend phil is now restoring it to its former glory and i for one can't wait, loved that guitar and it is so good to see it all shinny and new looking again nearly 30 years later \m/

red lefty

i have a red lefty since 1987. i loved it and the feel though it was a bit heavy compaired to others, i gave it to my brother about ten years ago to learn on and he had it in the loft for about the past 8 years, my friend phil is now restoring it to its former glory and i for one can't wait, loved that guitar and it is so good to see it all shinny and new looking again nearly 30 years later \m/

slammer

just been given one tonight by some one who's been snobbed at before. I think am gonna make it my month to sort this geet. I need a new image

Studio Mystic

I'm a fulltime career musician and producer in my own Brisbane studio called The Tanuki Lounge and I own a Marlin Sidewinder. Its the most interesting guitar i have ever owned or played and has the best neck. Its true the tone is a little narky and its squeals terribly when on high gain settings but sometimes thats just the mystic you need.

All instruments have a sound and a character worth exploring and my marlin has provided me with some of the best guitar features i have ever written.

Get one. Play it. Explore sound. And ignore branding.

Bless

I bought a Marlin Sidewinder as my first ever electric guitar in 1985. A mate of mine who was an excellent player suggested it to me as a decent budget guitar to learn on. Over 20 years later I still have it propped up next to my Rickenbackers. It was a top of the range Sidewinder (if ever there was such a thing) with floating bridge, tremelo arm, locking nut and allen key holder on the reverse of the headstock. I think it cost in the region of £250 though I'm not sure what the RRP was back then. I always liked it and it played fine although scorn was inevitably poured upon both me and the guitar when I went to jam with mates who all owned Gibsons and Fenders or at least reasonable well known copies.

As I never really wanted the tremelo I removed it and tensioned the floating bridge so that it basically became fixed. Then, around 15 years ago I TIG'd out a stainless scrathplate for it and swapped out the tone and volume knobs for chromed knurled replacements. Maybe I thought that customising it might make it more acceptable amongst fellow musicians. I always though that if I ever made it big in music I'd drag it onstage at Wembley and try to give it some credibility. I think more than anything, Marlin suffered at the hands of guitar snobs and in my experience they were nowhere near as bad as people made out.

As much as I love playing my more "credible" guitars, the Marlin will always stand alongside them and be played when the mood takes me. I can't ever see me getting rid of it and not simply because it was my first guitar, but because it's still a good guitar when all said and done.

Hey i recently found a Marlin SG on ebay that im interested in but i wanna know if its any good first. If anyone has ever used one please email me asap with info!

tomsuperdude@hotmail.com =D

Do anyone know the where-abouts of George Marlin? Last news item was his 'bigfoot' guitar in Florida... his name tag still said Marlin Guitars. Any Idea how I can contact him?

: :I recall the guitaris in an old band of mine,having a Marlin Sidewinder. It was by far the most horrible thing ive ever had the misfortune to try and sing along with.Wouldnt staay in tune,had a pointless tremelo etc.YEEEUCCH! Horrid thing!

: i have a Marlin Slammer which is a really nice red and white strat... thats not useful to you in any way but it's still worthy of a mention. I also (by pure chance) have a Marlin bass... I haven't really looked into it before but i think that Marlin guitars were taken over by HOHNER, hope that might help you...

I have a marlin sidewinder and personally i have not a clue what u r on about if you know what you are doing its a pretty f**ing good guitar

i have a marlin sidewinder and i think its great its got a great smooth feel to say they are not that great a guitar.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.