LYLE GUITARS

Advertisement
Posted by DOUG FIELDS on Sat, 07/13/02 - 07:09:41.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Lyle 12 string.

I have a 12-string Lyle in really good shape. Bought as a b-day present from me back in late 1970's from a pawn shop. I need to take it to a luthier to have it set up better, but it sounds really good. Just right now the action is a little high, but not that much wear. For a long time, I put it away, finding it hard to chord as a relative newbie back then. But now, I am more than ready. It does say it was made in Korea ~ which makes it seem a little more rare. The sound is still great or maybe even better! Wish I knew what it was worth, but I hope the guy I find to set it up will know more.

Lyle W430

Any info on Lyle W430 dreadnaught ,open book head badge,is it all laminate, what's the value?

Lyle

I inherited a Lyle guitar from my first cousin once removed and I don't know a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g about guitars. Can someone tell me a little about mine or where to find more info? It's a classical with the model # cp-366.

RE:Lyle guitars

Ok, Lyles were made by Matsumko in Japan from the mid 60's to around 74 or so. Are they rare? Ummm, no, not so much. Unusual, yes, rare no.
For those who have 335 copy Lyle, the model 5102T, it's the EXACT same guitar as the Aria's, Westbury's, Epiphone's of that era. See, Matsumko built for dozens of companies guitars. Aria, Westone, Phoenix, Westbury, Conrad, some early Domino's, Epiphone, and some house brands for Sears and JC Penny. Much like Ibanez and Teisco did.
For example, let's say you were a distributor, named Bob. you would put in a bid to the different companies,. and say, "Who can build me 5000 Bob 335 copies, for around $30.00 wholesale?" Matsumko would say, "I can!" and boom, 5000 Bobs were lining the store shelves.
The company that distributed the Lyle's, LD Heater, WAS NOT Owned by Gibson or Norlin. They distributed them, much like they distributed Lyles.
Quality-wise, they range from complete and utter crap, to OMG! Acoustics, tend to fall into the former range. Electrics, mostly the hollow bodies, were somewhat, but not always better. Solid bodies, mostly made from plywood, BUT they do have their own feel and sound. I happen to love them, others despise that cheap feel and sound. Remember, they were built to fill the growing demand of guitars, that the kids saw on tv, with the Monkee's and the Beatles

Lyle hollow body bass model 5120 no serial number

I had this guitar handed down to me. It is in pretty rough shape. I think it is in good enough shape to restore to good condition/used shape. Before I attempt such a thing I would like to know more about the guitar itself. I know the history of Lyle and "Lawsuit" guitars so that part is done. The body has a cherry red finish with 2 "f" openings. The neck has had some stress on it, enough to have the wood lift a little on its grain pattern about 2 inches long from the nut to the fret board. I am not sure if injecting glue into this will keep the neck from breaking in the future. The fret board is loose at the nut but I believe I can glue it again. This is not the first restoration I have done. I have restored a flute and a grenadilla wood clarinet. Any comments regarding how to or if I am wasting my time will be welcome.

I was passed down a lyle

I was passed down a lyle guitar model# 692 serial# 57 from an uncle. anyone know anything about it?

Lyle-same model and serial

I also have a Lyle model 692 serial # 57 I purchased new in 1970s direct from dealer for Norlin. No case -some defects in the finish from the factory beautiful tone after adjustments. Remember the dealer saying it was a Martin copy but did not mean anything to me at the time. Duplicate serial number is interesting.

I have a lyle 335 copy i got

I have a lyle 335 copy i got back in the early seventies for christmass ser. no. 15734. Maybe someone has some ser. no. close to that and can compare dates.

Vintage 60s Lyle SG copy

It looks like there was no information about Lyle guitars on google back in the day.Now you can find some info, but very little. I purchased my first guitar of my life age 14 from a seller on ebay for $100. I baught an awesome looking black SG style guitar with the name Lyle on it. Years later now, I know a lot more... Lyle is one of the rarest brands of guitar manufactured in the world. This rarety however does not increase the value of the instrument. Lyle is not a brand that can even be found in the guitar Pricing Guide. I have looked. The value is determined usualy by the seller. If your selling one, hit me up. Lyle was never associated with Gibson. Lyle was never purchased and closed down by Gibson. However, Lyle started manufacturing Gibson style guitars at a cheaper rate but they failed to observe copyright laws. Lyle was created by the Motsimoku Company in Japan from 1965 to 1970. In 1970 the Motsimoku Company was slapped with such high lawsuits by the Gibson Corp of the US, that they bankrupted and closed. Making Lyle one of the rarest brands of guitar because of their extreamely limited production life of 5 years.

Long Live The Lyle! May You Play On For Another 30 to 40 years and beyond!

Lyle thin hollowbody

I have a Lyle thin hollowbody electric that I have been doing a lot of research on as well. It has the Gibson "open book" headstock with a pearl inlay of - well, it looks like a firebird & at the top of the headstock, it has Lyle in pearl inlay as well. Email me at bikeflyer250@gmail.com & I'll send pics

Lyle thin hollowbody

I have a Lyle thin hollowbody electric that I have been doing a lot of research on as well. It has the Gibson "open book" headstock with a pearl inlay of - well, it looks like a firebird & at the top of the headstock, it has Lyle in pearl inlay as well. Email me at bikeflyer250@gmail.com & I'll send pics

Lyle w410

My wife just found a W 410 model at an auction for me....a little dirty, but otherwise in pretty solid shape. Al

Lyle 'copy' guitars from Japan -

Lyle guitars were some of the best COPY CAT guitars made during the LAWSUIT years - years where Lyle (made in Japan) attempted to COPY higher end American made Gibson and Fender guitars - hence 'lawsuit' guitars. There are some other companies that attempted to 'copy' American instruments but many of those were made in Korea or other countries and were not of the quality that the Japanese 'Lyle' copies of American instruments. They would have done well to make their own branded guitars - they're very well made. Another 'copy' company from that era is Ibanez - they made excellent instruments, too, and they paid quality guitarists to help them market their marque - George Benson, for example. Enjoy your guitar.

Lyle SG guitar

i have an old red Lyle SG guitar has some roadwear but still plays well and sounds great. Who would buy it? where would i find them? and what could i get for it?

Lyle for sale!!

I have a big box electric hollowbody up for grabs! It's like silk! It has a small ding, not sure if anyone is interested I can send pics upon request. Make an offer!
Danny
dvh1313@hotmail.com

Lyle 630L

I picked up a Lyle 630L recently for $100. Best playing acoustic I've ever played and sounds awesome, but it has a few issues. First being the fact that it's been played long and hard, with at least 3 frets showing hard wear. I had to tweak the torsion rod and raise the adjustable bridge some to stop a few frets from buzzing, but one is still a stickler. Bridge has cracked between the peg holes but the pegs still stay secure. My thought is to use good epoxy to stabilize it. Any thoughts? Also, leaving the strings taught over the years seems to have warped the body some, but there are no cracks or finish peeling from it. One tuner has been replaced with another style tuner, (looks like crap from the back) and I'd love to replace it.

Does anyone know where I could find a single tuner knob? It's the G string, (first on the bottom) so I'm thinking that is right-handed tuner? Maybe someone has replaced their stock tuners and has a single or set of them I could buy? Please reply to this thread if you do. Otherwise I need to go buy a set of Grovers or something.

gibson/Lyle

I have a very unique Lyle guitar. It is apparently a 1972 but on the headstock it has the pearl from Gibson and it says Gibson on it as well on the headstock. It has the tail trapeze and the adjustable saddle. I recently had it set up and there is absolutely no fret buzz, it looks like it just came off the wall, stellar condition. My tech was stunned at the body condition and even the frets were like a new guitar? This is the only guitar I have seen that is definately a Lyle but it has Gibson, correctly done on the front of the headstock? I went in to the acoustic section and played a Gibson new hummingbird next to mine and it sounded cheap! I was stunned. I have no idea what this is worth but is like the perfect guitar. No dents, nicks, scratches, just and old guitar that has been babied, no warping anywhere, I think this will play another 30 years easy. If anyone knows about a Lyle with a Gibson logo and Gibson written on the headstock, please let me know

Re: LYLE GUITARS

: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON.

Lyle guitars

I have a really nice classical C-620. Got it for 50 dollars. Like new but now 40 year old wood. I went to a local store to sample what they had and to get the sound and build quality on my Lyle I had to look at name brands upwards of 500 dollars. That's where I stopped and realized I had gotten a great deal. I won't sell mine. Should last a long time. I just got a nice case for it, used, for 50. So. 100 dollars for a great guitar and case. I also got an attachable pickup.

: : DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON.

I have a Lyle arch top, hollow body , electric guitar.Modle no.t-120 ,in mint condition. Does anyone know what the value of it is?

: : DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON.

I have a Lyle arch top, hollow body , electric guitar.Modle no.t-120 ,in mint condition. Does anyone know what the value of it is?

Lyle guitars

Dave, I looked it up and somehoe Gibson bought out the company. It originated in Japan.Ive had one since 1966.as a teen ager woulnd sell it for the world. Its a C605. Maddy

lyle classical guitar c-605

i also have a lyle c-605 small nylon string guitar with loud voice. ceder top,mohagany back and sides. paper label, also says 3144 in red print.have 4 more nylon sting guitars. this one sounds best. would not sell, without vintage appraisal! good luck fellow lyle owner

I have been playing for two years. I use to play (and still have) a fender squier. Today I bought a Lyle on impuls. I wasn't planning on buying one, i just walked in and it looked so beautiful. I have a feeling it is about 10 years old or so, but the sales man didn't know much other than it was a Lyle and it had new tunning pegs on it. I got it for 150$ and i would REALLY love to know more about it. Thanks.

Does anyone know where you can get bridge parts for a W-415 Hummingbird

: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON.
I have found more information on this site regarding Lyle Guitars, than anywhere else on the internet. Mine is a flat top model L-12. The guitar appears to be in very good to excellent condition, with some minor wear on the finish near the pick guard, and sounds fantastic to my tin ear. I have just begun to play guitar and would like to know if this is a good guitar? Is it actually worth anything?

I just bought a Lyle 80 today, off craig's list.
no birds, roses, etc. It's my first guitar and I think it has a really nice tone.

i have a lyle. i know nothing aobut it. my dad bought it when he was 17. model number :692. serial number :291. somebody tell me something about my guitar.

I have an M 470 Hummingbird 12 string copy from the early 70's--don't remember where I got it or how much I paid, but it's been all over the country with me and only sounds better with age. I haven't been able to find any info other than here...

I also too have a lyle elestric guitar. It was my first guitar. I must have a cheap version becouse it has very crapy sound and looks cheap. It says that it was made in japan on the back plate of the neck. It hase no model number on it. It is all black and it says lyle on the head of the guitar in gold leaf. It looks like a rip off of a gibson with a single hummbucker. I think that it was made in the early 70's. If any could please give me some more info on it and some differnt pics then the ones list in the replys that would great. I can send pics if any one wants to see. Thanks

Lyle guitar

I think I have one like the one you are talking about, can't find any info either.
Sure would like to know more about it so I can put a decent price on it to sell it.

: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON. I got a W-460 hummingbird copy in 1976 and it knocks everyone out with the sound for a plywood guitar. I also saw the identical model in a diorama at the Roy Rogers museum in Apple Valley. thought he played a martin but could just be a prop for the public.g

I have a lyle guitar that is 41 yrs old and the model is C-630

I haven't found out much more info out there besides what I've read here about the Lyle brand guitars.

LYLE GUITARS

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: LYLE GUITARS

Count me in -- just bought one and know nothing about it. Can't find any info either. Mine's a Model L-14 12-string. Bought it 'cuz it was cheap as 12-strings go.

GREETINGS, IF YOU OWN A LYLE YOU ARE VERY LUCKY. MOST PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO ADMIT TO OWNING A GUITAR MADE IN JAPAN,BUT WHEN I BOUGHT MY LYLE HUMMING BIRD IN 1973 FOR $50.00 AND THE GUY WAS GOING TO SHOW ME THE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND BETWEEN A 50.00 LYLE AND A 800.00 GIBSON AFTER HE PLAYED BOTH HE SAID WELL I WON'T DO THAT AGAIN. THE LYLE SOUNDED TWICE AS GOOD. 2 WEEKS LATER I BOUGHT MY DAD A LYLE DOVE WITH ADJUSTABLE BRIDGE FOR 85.00 THEY ARE STILL BOTH PLAYABLE TODAY. I ALSO OWN A MARTIN D-18 AND A GIBSON F-HOLE GUITAR AND WILL PLAY EITHER OF THE LYLES OVER THEM ANY TIME. CONGRADS ON YOUR LYLE,YOU ARE IN FOR SOME VERY ENJOYABLE TIMES. I WAS TOLD THAT THE LYLE GUITARS WERE BUILT BY JAPANESE TECHS THAT WERE TRAINED AT THE GIBSON FACTORY AND BASICALLY ALL THEY MADE WERE COPIES OF THE GUBSON LINE, MUCH LIKE THE SIGMA LINE COPIES MARTIN.

MIKE.

Lyle was owned by Norlin, the same company that owned Gibson in the 70's. I've heard that this was going to be Gibson's answer to the influx of japanese boxes at the time but after just a few years of production they move Epiphone to Japan instead. I've got a Model 630-L (Hummingbird) that I've owned for over 30 years. It is stil my favorite player although it is showing it's age after being drug all over hell's-half-acre. ANYBODY with more info or having any model for sale, contact me!!

Lyle guitar for sale

Hi, I have a Lyle guitar I want to sell. It looks to me like the model is 0-620. The serial number is 210086. It was sold out of the "Stan Boreson" music shop near Seattle Washington (he was a very popular long-time musician in the pacific northwest). It looks in perfect condition, to me. I don't play or know much about guitars.

: Lyle was owned by Norlin, the same company that owned Gibson in the 70's. I've heard that this was going to be Gibson's answer to the influx of japanese boxes at the time but after just a few years of production they move Epiphone to Japan instead. I've got a Model 630-L (Hummingbird) that I've owned for over 30 years. It is stil my favorite player although it is showing it's age after being drug all over hell's-half-acre. ANYBODY with more info or having any model for sale, contact me!!

I have a Lyle hollow body,electric guitar. Model no.1203 T. It is in mint condition.Red w/white trim.Two pickups,whammy bar,and a strat-like headstock.I am courious what the value of it is and I am wanting to sell it also.Please contact me if you are interested or have any information regarding this guitar and it's value.Thanks, Dvae Stepp

Re: LYLE GUITARS Lyle 630-L

LYLE GUITARS Lyle 630-L

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: LYLE GUITARS Lyle 630-L

I own a Lyle acoustic guitar, Model #F-500. It's a concert style body guitar with what appears to be a solid spruce top and probably mahogany sides and back. My father in law left it to me and it has always had an amazingly good sound for what I always thought was a pretty inexpensive Japanese instrument.

i have a 12 string lyle guitar and i would like to know if anyone else has one.i couldn't find anything on the net about lyle guitars.are they rare?

I also have a Lyle 12-string that is a copy of a Gibson Hummingbird 12. This thing has the nicest neck of any 12-string I've ever played. I understand Gibson had them made in a deal with Matsumoku Mfg. in Japan. ANybody able to date these things?

: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT LYLE GUITARS. I ONCE WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE AFFILIATED WITH GIBSON. I have inherited a Lyle Acoustic guitar. Model No HDLN. On the face of the guitar is some roses and a white dove. It is in perfect condition. It also says "Custom" above the neck. Any Info. would be fantastic. Thanks.

My Lyle is a copy of a Gibson Humming Bird. It was my first accoustic. I strung it backwards to accomidate my left-handedness, and played the hell out of it for 10 years now. I've cracked it, broken the head stock off, and generally beaten the crap out if it (youth and stupidity). But it still plays well. I've compaired it to the sound of an actual Gibson humming bird (all be it upside-down to me), and could not tell too much difference. I've never heard of anyone else having a Lyle Hummingbird. Any ideas of where another is?

Lyle Guitars

If you have been on this site then you know many people own Lyle Guitars in various versions.mI have a hummingbird fro 1970 and it beats many other brands for sound.

I have a lyle hummingbird copy as well. It was made in about 1966, and has been in storage for a while. I need to set it up and replace the tuners. It's in pretty nice condition, and sounds nice when professionally setup. Does any one know anything about these guitars?

I have a lyle guitar with a cherry red back and the front has a bluebird on it. Has any one any information of this. It has a W415 on the sticker on the inside. thanks

my first electric was a lyle SG copy. it was cool for me at the time (I was 10). very cheaply made -- bolt-on neck, etc...--cheap. I ended up selling it for 25 bucks to a friend in high school. I've seen maybe 2 lyles since then and one was an acoustic.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.