Checkmate Guitar Model G115

Posted by Mike on Thu, 02/24/05 - 11:30:56.
In Reply to Korean Guitar page

I recently purchased a Checkmate G115 Guitar, can anyone tell me anything about it and what it is worth, it is great condition.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Checkmate Guitar Model G115

I purchased my G115 in the 1970's, I got it at Kmart for about $80. I recently got the Esteban at Goodwill for $90 (had a coupon) and the Checkmate is worth more, sounds better and will probably outlast the 2009 Esteban. I wouldn't sell my Checkmate for less than $120 and I would have to really need the $120 to part with it. I too, wish I could play better. Also just got a Casio CTK-900 (paid a needy friend $140) that I would sell long before the Checkmate Guitar.

My First Guitar

My first guitar was a Checkmate G115 purchased at KMart for $12 in 1974. I began playing it when I was five. The guitar lasted until 1995 when the bridge finally fell off. I didn't repair it because I bought a handmade classical to replace it. I can't imagine there are many left now.

Checkmate Model G115

My wife's father passed away about 3 years ago. We went to WI for his memorial service and returned with a few of his things, one of which is a Checkmate Model G115. I was trying to research the guitar recently to decide if it is worth repairing the couple of minor things wrong with it. She claims it's the only guitar her father played so I'm thinking it's at least antique and carries value as well as sentimental value for my wife. My 2 oldest grandsons taught themselves on this guitar and the 6th string would not stay in tune. I want to learn so I can play with them but, I'm not paying what we paid for their new guitars when I have one. Is it worth a small investment to fix..

Yes it is worth fixing.

Yes it is worth fixing. Tuners can be had from e-bay for around $15 they are standard 35mm spacing. A new bone nut for about $10 really improves the sound. I have one and I like it just fine. I also have a checkmate G-135 Classical w/ Nylon strings. Love them both.

I learned to play on a Checkmate acoustic purchased by my father in approx 1974. When I turned 16 my parents purchased me a Martin which promted me to smash the Checkmate against a tree. What a piece of craap. All the time I thought I was retarded and couldn't learn to play guitar. Now I am a professional studio musician with terrible memories of that infernal piece of crap.

I know it's been a while, but I just saw this thread.. I have one myself, it was my aunt's and she got it in 1958.. They were made by Teisco, in Japan, from the 50's through the 70's.. The G115 is a 3/4 size.. It's a nice instrument, small body, and great tone... Value wise, it is worth probably around $50-100 depending on the condition.. I doubt you would get that though... that's only the book value.. what you would get if you sold it, would be somewhere arounf 30-50.. sad but true... butthey are great little players. Check the bridge, they have a tendency to lift a little, nothing that can't be fixed easily, and inexpensively...

i have one....btw you are

i have one....btw you are all on crack

btw.. they were sold in all kinds of stores.. All over the world.. I have seen them in Denmark, Italy, Egypt, as well as many states in the USA.. The one my Aunt had was purchased from the F & R Lazarus store in Columbus Ohio.

Re: Checkmate Guitar Model et-200

: I recently purchased a Checkmate et-200 Guitar, can anyone tell me anything about it and what it is worth, it is great condition.and were to find parts to it

i have a Checkmate ET-200 as well i dont know much about it too. iv had it 4 about 2 years now and i think im going to pay to get it fixed

Checkmate et-200 were made in 1969 by the Teisco company of Japan.
It is a keeper. Not so much for the value but for historical reasons. I have seen then being sold for as little as $80.00 USD.
I do not know what their value is for a collector but it is ,again, worth keeping.
Cheers

: I recently purchased a Checkmate G115 Guitar, can anyone tell me anything about it and what it is worth, it is great condition.

These were beginner-grade instruments made in Japan in the 60s-70s and sold through Gibson Dept. Stores...no idea of the value, but I'd think fairly modest.

need string adjustment thumwheel gor g115

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.