Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: dimebag tip

: Just for reference sake, Dime uses a randall warhead. Never used one myself so I obviously can't speak from experience but I just finished reading reviews on the amp (which I did for about two hours) and apparently his live sound is very different from his recorded sound. To achieve a "Dime signature" sound you need to do a lot of tweaking with the EXACT rig he uses plus a soundboard and recording studio tools.

Re: dimebag tip

: : Just for reference sake, Dime uses a randall warhead. Never used one myself so I obviously can't speak from experience but I just finished reading reviews on the amp (which I did for about two hours) and apparently his live sound is very different from his recorded sound. To achieve a "Dime signature" sound you need to do a lot of tweaking with the EXACT rig he uses plus a soundboard and recording studio tools.
Dude, you are a freaking RETARD!!! You can sound like dime with other amps, get a goddamn clue, bitch. I swear! Every one tries to sound like every one else! People like that piss me off. How about this: TRY SOUNDING LIKE YOURSELF, MOTHER FUCKER!!!!! Konichywa, Bitches.

Re: What is the best Heavy Metal AMP????

I have an old Carvin head that fuckin' SMOKES! I'm not a Marshall man,but the JCM 800 with a Boss OD-3 is deadly!!

Ok, this is to bizare to believe, but,
If yer really gonna, do it right,,gitchur sef a PLASMO BLSATRON! Now there is a catch, you can only use em once. When they're built they have to be remotely tested away from any human population. They seem to disintergrate anything biological within a 14 mile radius to it's most basic molecular form. The funk is it does over a 4-7 hour period. With the first pains registering within the 3-4 hr. No body has ever used one twice. Ya gotta exist to do it the 2nd time. But what sustain!!!
I'm not to hip on they're actual theory of funtion,,but basically,,,,,,,,They are a Tesla field driven, plasma energy transfer 16 stage amplifier.With the final output stage operating at 180,000 volts D.C. Developed back in the 50's by Tesla Hisownself. Locale of production is a closely guarded secret, and sale is by invitation only.
Be fore warned!!! If you wind up with one,,you'll only use it once! Ya gotta really love your art.
Remember the Daffey Duck cartoon where he does the onetime only act of drinking gasoline, then ingesting nitro-glcerin, then dynamite. and the like,, then swallows fire??? Definitly a showstopper,,, but ya won't be bookin any tours.
Personally I use a '59 Marshall,an a Fender of some sort.
Good luck,
D. McDermott dzyzz-aw you know it.

Re: it's BLASATRON not Blsatron

: I played one at the 38 mile radi,,did,nt actually escaped unscathed.
Good luck,
: D. McDermott dzyzz-aw you know it.

I highly suggest a peavey 5150. for the money its a grerat head!
Stay away from the marshalls and boogies for sure. if you got the bens, i would recommend a Soldano Decatone or a VHT ptbull ultra lead.. will run you around 1500-2000. boutque amps are pricey.

as for pantera, dimebags sound originted from a solid state amp, FYI... Randall...

: What would be a real good heavy metal Amp Head that sounds like the late 80's and early 90's Metallica or that Pantera sound?? I want that real scooped mid sound without usind a Boss Metal Zone pedal!! I wish to stay away FROM MESA BOGGIE I'd rather get either a Marshall Or a Peavey!Thanks Alot for any help posted Thanks!!

Personally I dont know what anyone has against Boogie.
I own two, a mark 2 "c" and a tripple rec, If you want the met sound. use what they use. I would not go with the metal zone however I would use a HM-3, But on the low end...a crate dfx212. or maybe a line six vetta.

: I highly suggest a peavey 5150. for the money its a grerat head!
: Stay away from the marshalls and boogies for sure. if you got the bens, i would recommend a Soldano Decatone or a VHT ptbull ultra lead.. will run you around 1500-2000. boutque amps are pricey.

: as for pantera, dimebags sound originted from a solid state amp, FYI... Randall...

: : What would be a real good heavy metal Amp Head that sounds like the late 80's and early 90's Metallica or that Pantera sound?? I want that real scooped mid sound without usind a Boss Metal Zone pedal!! I wish to stay away FROM MESA BOGGIE I'd rather get either a Marshall Or a Peavey!Thanks Alot for any help posted Thanks!!

Solid state amps have amore aggressive edge to the distortion, but a tube amp has better sustain-distortion. Its al just a matter of opinion.

I know you want to stay away from Mesa Boogies, but, for metal, they're a great amp. Especially if you want a metallica sound. Metallica uses Marshall and Mesa Boogies. Specifically Marshall JMP-1 Pre-Amps and Mesa Triaxis Pre-Amps. Peavey's are good for the money, but at high volumes, wont give you the metal sound of pushed tubes amp. Agian, you aren't gonna want to hear this, but a Boss MT-2 and a GE-7 graphic equalizer work great together. For my distortions, I use a Dano Fab Tone. Not exactly prized for metal, but it does a hell of a job. Most metal bands use Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers. Rectifier amps are great for metal. Ever heard of a Bob Bradshaw 100 Watt head? Go to an Audio Electonics web site (not sure of the address). They run at about $1600, but they're worth it. If your low on money,try a Marshall JCM800. Great sound. Good Luck. -Steve

I am doing a research project ....and i have some questions : )

How was Heavy Metal developed? Who was the first Heavy Metal band?

What Insturments do Heavy Metal bands use? How many Heavy Metal Bands are there ?

If you can't answer any of these questions its ok ------>THANKS FOR YOUR TIME<------

I am doing a research project>> and i need some help

What Insturments do Heavy Metal bands use? How many Heavy Metal Bands are there ?

If you can't answer any of these questions its ok ------>THANKS FOR YOUR TIME<------

I am doing a research project>> I have some questions if you could help me out

Re: I am doing a research project>> I have some questions if you could help me out

: How was Heavy Metal developed? Who was the first Heavy Metal band?

: What Insturments do Heavy Metal bands use? How many Heavy Metal Bands are there ?

: If you can't answer any of these questions its ok ------>THANKS FOR YOUR TIME<------

There can be a lot of conflict on this but, technicly: Black Sabbath. Some people say Jimi Hendrix, but that dont make sense to me. There IS a difference between psychodelic rock and metal. There are way to many Metal Bands to count anymore. Metal has become a product of society and been catogorized into different genres, but metal is one thing: Expression. Metal was killed by Grunge, and hip hop screwed everyone into a submission, for a while. But people now fuse metal and rap, ala Otep.

"weapones" used by metal artist have to sound good, and must have a good look to them too. The to three metal guitars, as voted in a big pll are as follows:
1.) Gibson Les Paul
2.) darn, forgot this one
3.) B.C. Rich Warlock

number four is th Gibsn SG, which was used by Tony Iommi in Sabbath, which i think means Satans Guise, but i could be wrong. A lot of modern metal is down-tuned mayhem, usually a seven string.

Re: I am doing a research project>> I have some questions if you could help me out

:
: : How was Heavy Metal developed? Who was the first Heavy Metal band?

: : What Insturments do Heavy Metal bands use? How many Heavy Metal Bands are there ?

: : If you can't answer any of these questions its ok ------>THANKS FOR YOUR TIME<------

: There can be a lot of conflict on this but, technicly: Black Sabbath. Some people say Jimi Hendrix, but that dont make sense to me. There IS a difference between psychodelic rock and metal. There are way to many Metal Bands to count anymore. Metal has become a product of society and been catogorized into different genres, but metal is one thing: Expression. Metal was killed by Grunge, and hip hop screwed everyone into a submission, for a while. But people now fuse metal and rap, ala Otep.

: "weapones" used by metal artist have to sound good, and must have a good look to them too. The to three metal guitars, as voted in a big pll are as follows:
: 1.) Gibson Les Paul
: 2.) darn, forgot this one
: 3.) B.C. Rich Warlock

: number four is th Gibsn SG, which was used by Tony Iommi in Sabbath, which i think means Satans Guise, but i could be wrong. A lot of modern metal is down-tuned mayhem, usually a seven string.

Metal is all about playing, too. Not wearing cool clothes and strangling your guitar in front of a crowd of screaming teenagers. A good majority of modern "metal" bands do this, where as good bands play music. Listen to Killswitch Engage, i was a bit skeptical at first, but they actually play with DYNAMICS. Most bands go for speed, but if you can get people to say "What the Hell, thats cool?" then you have a good song. You can cheat and fix your dynamics when you're mixing the album, but if you know what your doing, it'll actually sound good on stage.

>>

Im doing a progect on heavy metal and i have some questions

Im doing a progect on heavy metal and I have some questions

I used the marshall 30 watts practice amp miked for the Metallica track "For Whom The Bell Tolls". It sounded pretty decent. Much better than any pedal or processor i ever used. The channel switch functionality is a good feature.

Now Realy! There is no best metal amp.. It all depends apon your interpretation, and $$$ flow. I have several great hi gain amps, but I prefer peavey. They are very reliable, and low maintinance. Sound great live too.. Only the old ones lack on the gain structure. If you plan on using a pedal than almost any loud amp with a good clean channel will work. It's all up to your ears to decide. Check out your local music stores and try them bad boys out.. Good luck!!

There is no best metal amp.. It all depends apon your interpretation, and $$$ flow. I have several great hi gain amps, but I prefer peavey. They are very reliable, and low maintinance. Sound great live too.. Only the old ones lack on the gain structure. If you plan on using a pedal than almost any loud amp with a good clean channel will work. It's all up to your ears to decide. Check out your local music stores and try them bad boys out.. Good luck!!

Well, I wouldn't know about that, being as they seem to market a lot of specifically towards
metal players. Crate, Marshall, Bogner, Diezel, Hughs andKettner, Laney, Peavey, Randall, and the rest.

: There is no best metal amp.. It all depends apon your interpretation, and $$$ flow. I have several great hi gain amps, but I prefer peavey. They are very reliable, and low maintinance. Sound great live too.. Only the old ones lack on the gain structure. If you plan on using a pedal than almost any loud amp with a good clean channel will work. It's all up to your ears to decide. Check out your local music stores and try them bad boys out.. Good luck!!

: Well, I wouldn't know about that, being as they seem to market a lot of specifically towards
: metal players. Crate, Marshall, Bogner, Diezel, Hughs andKettner, Laney, Peavey, Randall, and the rest.

I played a Laney Hardcore about a month ago, and i was duely impressed. Great distortion, multi effects such as Reverb+Choru, Chorus+Delay and an Octaver that make your sound incredible! The Hughes & Kettner Warp series sounds good, too. My friend bought one a while back, and i came over and jammed. If Metallica is the sound you're after, then this might not be as good a choice. It is more of a Nu-Metal amp, plays like a Kittie song and is really agressive. If all else fails, get a Tech21 SansAmp pedal, you cn build you're own rig form head, tone and cabinet sound. Great pedal, i'll be getti' one soon.

: Now Realy! There is no best metal amp.. It all depends apon your interpretation, and $$$ flow. I have several great hi gain amps, but I prefer peavey. They are very reliable, and low maintinance. Sound great live too.. Only the old ones lack on the gain structure. If you plan on using a pedal than almost any loud amp with a good clean channel will work. It's all up to your ears to decide. Check out your local music stores and try them bad boys out.. Good luck!!

The best metal amp to YOU might sound like crap to someone else, so its up to you really. Mesa Boogie rectifiers are good for metal, but if you insist, i would recommend ahigh end amp like a Bogner. They have a heavy, jackhammer distortion compared to a marshalls "crunch" sound. To get good sound from a marshall, you have to use a good pedal, but this is one of those times when one pedal might suck to everyone else, but sound totally awesome to you. So, shop around, play with friends amps, read reviews and what not. I have a Line 6 Spider II, and the METAL ONE channel sounds like old Metallica, but with a tweak of the mid EQ knob, you could have early Slayer tones. ITs a digital amp, but if it doesn't matter to you, then go for it. I know I have some badass tones set up on mine.

there are lots of different amps out there for great metal tones:
Zakk wydle uses jcm800s with distorsion pedals (his heads are modified to his tastes!)
Dino Cazarez from fear factory also uses a modified jcm800
EVH used a modified jcm800 on eruption and such, he now uses a 5150 which is also an awesome amp! (def check it out!)
Anthrax used jcm800s however they use jcm2000 dsls and randall now
DimeBag uses randall amps, along with furman parametric equalizers, a graphic eq, and a distorsion pedal (mtx double shot or dd-11) to further push the amp
Godsmack uses mesa rectifers
Sevendust uses randall and mesa
Metallica use to use jcm800 (modified) the now use mesa preamps, rectifers, ada mp-1 (check it out!!)
The best bet is to get an amp modified(or built) to your tastes http://www.voodooamps.com the guy named Trace modifies amps to your tastes! most any amp too! he'll build you one, or modify yours, or you can buy modified amps! hes located in NY but you can contact him, tell him what you want done, what sounds you are going for, and he'll do it for you! and its a lot cheaper than a high end amp (IE soldano, vht, bogner, diesel) which are awesome amps but very pricy!
good luck guys!

for the late 80's metallica sound you will need to find an old mesa BOOGIE mark 3 or 4 (a boogie studio 50 would work also), or use a Boss hm2 heavy metal peddle (not metal zone) if you can find one. i know this is totally what you said you didnt want but that will get you where you want. a marshall 800 would be the closest down the line and the other amps wont come close. also know if you cut your mids that the drums will eat your sound up, metallica used to put like 4 tracks of clean guitar to cut through the mix

Has anyone used the Ibanez TB100H head and the 4 x 12 cab ????? I hear it is a very "dark" metal tone.

hello for 5 minutes before im removed.

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: hello for 5 minutes before im removed.

why do you keep posting stupid stuff? just leave already nobody cares for you, kinda like everyone in the real world.

boss SD1 overdrive pedal

i have an old battered japanese sd1. it sounds great, but that brings me to my question. i have heard talk of the japanese ones being better than the new ones(are they made in taiwan ?)Is this true ?if so, why ?. any info much appreciated.

Re: boss SD1 overdrive pedal

Hmm.I've heard this too.I think the Japanese use a different set of transistors,which alters the impedance
levels.This will give the pedal a richer,beefier sound.
I recently dicovered the Boss OD-3.Not too shabby!
Good Luck

Re: boss SD1 overdrive pedal

they used to use the infamous JRC 4558D Chip!! Its The Same One Found In Many Ibanez Ts9 Going For Over $300.00!!! I Also Have A SD1 From About 83 And It Sounds Killer Has Soldi Shaft POst And Kicks My Ts9's I Have Collected I Also Have A Turbo OD2 And It Also Sounds Huge But Does Not Have The JRc 4558D Well Good Luck!!!!!

epiphone MG

I just brought one today...i know it's extremely pretty and purple, but i dont know if it's a good guitar...can anyone tell me anything about it..please??

Re: epiphone MG

: I just brought one today...i know it's extremely pretty and purple, but i dont know if it's a good guitar...can anyone tell me anything about it..please??

I know something else which is "pretty" and "purple" and if you ever want the full length of it inside you just email me at slips34ruld@yahoo.com and we can arrange.

Re: epiphone MG

dude yur a freak

CRAP

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: CRAP

ok man, you are a moron.

wiring help

I'm need some help I've installed a delta tone(single coil) in the neck and have a humbucker in the bridge. I just have a volume and a togle(3 position). sound cool when on neck or bridge but when i put it in the middle i lose a lot of gain. any suggestions?

Re: wiring help

Your pickups are out of phase with each other. De-solder the wires from the single coil and hook them up backwards from the way they are now. In other words, take your "signal" wire and ground it and take your "ground" wire and hook it to where your "signal" wire is going.

Re: wiring help-Pickups?

:I've Bought replacement pickups for Worlock,The Ohm's read Higher then the old ones,I thought the lower the ohm's the crisper the sound. is this true?

Starting to play guitar?

How long did it take anyone after they started leranin guitar (accoustic or otherwise) before they could strum thier first song??? how long does it take to get reasonable good or or good enougth to start writing songs. Also is it easier to learn on a accoustic guitar or an electric guitar? I would rather play an electric guitar but thought it would be better to get the basics done with an accoustic guitar?
thanks for any help

Re: Starting to play guitar?

my first song was metalica enter sandman the easy way wich is all on the last string (the fat one)
0 0 7 6 5 0 0 7 6 5 3 0 2 0 2 3 2 0......

Re: Starting to play guitar?

If you practice an hour every day you should get caluses on your fingers after a week. Then the notes will become clearer. Learn a three chord group like A D and E or G C and D. Get someone to teach you a slow song that uses those chords (like a 12 bar blues) and you should have it in a week. Electrics are generally easier to finger for the beginner.

framus guitar

Hello: I have a 12 string Framus acustic guitar that i bought in the 60's
the model no. is 512961. It is in excelent condition i very seldom played with it.
i was wondering if anyone knows the value of it.
thank you very much ART

Re: framus guitar

Saw one in a pawn shopa coupla weeks ago, they seemed to think it was worth about 450 bones.Was'nt what I had in mind.Unless it belonged to John Lennon or the like I prob. would'nt give more than the p. shop would.

Re: framus guitar

hello i have a 6 string guitar framus model#5142 i was just wondering if it would be worth putting some money into it.

Fender Tremsetter Installation Guide?

When I bought my Fender Strat Deluxe Pluas a few years ago, there was also a TRemsetter in the case which I now want to install, but unfortunately there is no guide for installing it. Can anybody help me? Thank you very much!!

Re: Fender Tremsetter Installation Guide?

Get a hold of Dan Erlwine's guitar repair book -- if memory serves me right it's explained in there.

If you can't find a copy, drop me a line through my web site and I see if I can help you out.

http://member.home.net/wilkatguitars

Good luck, Bill

can anyone out there help with this query?

I'm searching for information
on the following guitar:

acoustic classical model
the label inside has the following information
'Original Kessler Guitar
brothers KEssler Master of Guitar-MAking
date of manufacture 1960
serial number 11650'
it's signed (looks like Frederick Wilhelm Kessler)
serial number and the number 60 are stamped on the headstock

Any idea on sites that could help,please?
we'd like to know if it's worth having the
slight damage to the soundboard repaired

any help you could offer would be much appreciated!

many thanks
Harriet Booth

Re: can anyone out there help with this query?

: Harriet - did you find out about the Kessler? 2001 !)
: I have a similar instrument also bought in 1960 and
: would like to know if anyone is interested in buying it.
Pat

: acoustic classical model
: the label inside has the following information
: 'Original Kessler Guitar
: brothers KEssler Master of Guitar-MAking
: date of manufacture 1960
: serial number 11650'
: it's signed (looks like Frederick Wilhelm Kessler)
: serial number and the number 60 are stamped on the headstock

: Any idea on sites that could help,please?
: we'd like to know if it's worth having the
: slight damage to the soundboard repaired

:
: any help you could offer would be much appreciated!

: many thanks
: Harriet Booth

Peavey amp and Marshall Cabinet...are they compatible?

Can someone help....I have a Peavey Classic Chorus 212 amp. I like the sound but the speakers are finished. I also have a 4x12 Marshall cabinet. I want to play the Peavey thru the cabinet...is it possible? I tried attaching a patch cord from the amp out of the amp to the cabinnet but got nothing. I then pulled out the patch cord half way and got some sound, but it was very very quiet, even at 10. My questions is, are they comatible? Is it because I'm not using the right kind of patch cord (i used a guitar patch) or is the amp just underpowered? The specs of the cabinet are 75 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 2 12inch speakers. Can someone send me and answer,

THX

Re: Peavey amp and Marshall Cabinet...are they compatible?

There should be an external speaker jack(s) on the rear pannel of your Peavey 212. Do you have the user manual? If so, find out what Ohms it handles. I'm guessing that if the 212 speakers are at 8, the external speaker jack(s) is at 8 Ohms also. As long as you are matching the Ohms, you should be ok. the cable you are using doesn't matter to much. It would be better to use a speaker cable, but it's not that big of a deal. The other problem is that you may not have enough power to fully push the cab. Agian, look in the user manual or go online to Peavey's web site, the amp itself handles more than the speakers it comes with. If you don't have enough power, you will still be hearing sound, infact, it may not sound different to you. At higher volumes, you will hear it. Marshall 412's run at 4 or 16 Ohms (switchable) mono, or 8 Ohms Stereo. get a 1x12 cab, and run it out the stereo jack on the cab. This will bring you down to 8 Ohms and decrease the wattage of the amp. That is your best bet. Good Luck. -Steve

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.