Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

jazz guitars

I am looking for advice.
I am looking for a jazz guitar that is also good for a
rock/blues sound.
something along the lines of an Ibanez semi-hollow.
Mid-range price.
any clues?

Re: jazz guitars

Used Gibson ES 335? Maybe? Used Gretch?
Rai
www.SimpLe168.com

I found a used Epi Sheraton for cheap. It's a hollowbody with a maple centerblock. Very nice workmanship, but I might change the pickups. It is a jazz guitar that can play rock/blues too.
-Rick

I agree with Rick B. I own an 80's Epiphone Sheraton and love it. Many people complain about the pickups but I dig um. They are pretty dark sounding, which suits my style.
You can find these used for around $300-$400 and that's a great deal for the quality of this guitar.

Jj

: I am looking for advice.
: I am looking for a jazz guitar that is also good for a
: rock/blues sound.
: something along the lines of an Ibanez semi-hollow.
: Mid-range price.
: any clues?
Buy an upscale LP copy from rondomusic.com
Under $200.
Plays any thing you want.DAMN good

: I am looking for advice.
i have a john scofeild ibanez artist jazz guitar
if you're interested in buiing it drop me a line

VAN HALEN TAB PLEASE !!!!

Hi all i have this slight problem , i really like this van halen song "years to the day" unfortunately i don't have the CD to listen to it as to tab it, so if anyone has the tab please mail it to me or direct me to a site !!!!! Thanks all

guitar job

Does anyone know of any guitar shops i.e.(guitar center, mars, shops of that sort,small guitar shops also) in the houston texas area that are looking for emploies, part /full time? thanks for any info. you can e-mail me at greenan@bryan.edu or at tadin@guitar.com thanks in advance TDG

Re: guitar job

I live in the Springfield MA area - near Hartford CT - I have a few friends that work at GC - I'd say just go and aplly at a guitar center - good luck -
Rai
www.SimpLe168.com

Classical Rasqueado

What should the hand look like when playing a classical rasqueado? And how do you develop control of the rasqueado?

to anybody

please send me more music letters from metallica, guns´n´roses and another groups of heavymetal

What rack component should I buy???

Hi -- I would appreciate comments / recommendations about the following: I have 2 empty rack spaces, and I would like to fill them with the most appropriate product for my usage. I would appreciate advice from anyone reading this! I have a Marshall amp. 1/2 of my rack space is taken up by a Pod Pro. The rest is empty. I play live and do some recording work, so it would be good if the remaining space were filled with a component useful in both situations. I play many styles of music. So: What should I get to fill up the remaining rack space?? An effects unit? A reverb unit? Something else? Advice would be appreciated.

Re: What rack component should I buy???

Just my opinion - I dug my Marshall JMP-1 when I had it - I run a head now so - But the JMP-1 is very versatile - I mean the POD is cool but I have heard they can sound flimsy compared to a "dedicated" preamp per say - - if you had both you could have flexibility AND Multiple Marshall tones (along w whatever the POD musters up ) the otehr space maybe a good Effects Unit - TC G Force? Expensive but one fo the better if not best rack effects gear pieces. Just my 2 cents -
Rai
www.SimpLe168.com

How 'bout a reverb/delay.Some multi-things are cool,or a NOISE GATE.

well, since you do some recording and play live, I suggest getting an effects processor. It sounds like the overdrive and distortion effects are covered but what about something with some delay, reverb, a compressor would work well in either of you playing situations, even some modulation effects like chorus or flange or something. I would recommend a nice Alesis processor if you don't want to spend a ton of money and if money is no object go with T.C. Electronics, you just can't beat that. I hope this helps some.

A noise gate and a wireless system (shure, samson or audio-technica)

question

I was wondering how much a Peavey Raptor Plus would cost.

fender flame black

my fender is a honey is she an oldie? i have everything she came with,including the name plate.e me anyone

Re: fender flame black

: my fender is a honey is she an oldie? i have everything she came with,including the name plate.e me anyone

Re: fender flame black

It is more than likely a 1984 guitar.
If you want more info email me at
jkzub@yahoo.com

High A-string

Just thought I'd let you know Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit used to string his guitar with a high A string, he, doesn't actually use a 7-stringer anymore, he believed it was dampening his creativity (?)

Oops

Sorry if my last post didn't make any sense, I was replying to something I read in an article by Guy Pople, the 7-string guy, and he said he'd never heard of anyone stringing their 7-string guitars with a high A-string...

guitar chat sites

hello,i am trying to find a good guitar chat site.
i have tried heaps of them and they either have no
one in them or if there is any one there, they talk
rubbish. i am travelling around the world soon and
would like to corraspond with other muso`s. any help
gratefully appreciated, thanks ROB.
p.s. i am from australia.

guitar chat sites

hello,i am trying to find a good guitar chat site.
i have tried heaps of them and they either have no
one in them or if there is any one there, they talk
rubbish. i am travelling around the world soon and
would like to corraspond with other muso`s. any help
gratefully appreciated, thanks ROB.
p.s. i am from australia.

Overdrive Pedals. which is Best????

I am looking for a reasonably cheap overdrive Pedal, can any one reccomend a suitable reliable unit,
Any i should avoid??? i am a 15 yr beginner so funds are tight.
thanx

Re: Overdrive Pedals. which is Best????

I'd suggest the Ibanez TS-10 or TS-9,$90,TubeKing,$90, heard good things about the Boss OD-3,$85,or Boss SD-1.My favorites are;Blackstone(mosfet)O.D.,but it's $180.,TS-10,DOD preamp 250(cheap,but good).These will give you meaty,clear overdrive.There are others that may be good,so shop around.
Good Luck

: just get the danelectro DaddyO
it's all you'll need

: I am looking for a reasonably cheap overdrive Pedal, can any one reccomend a suitable reliable unit,
: Any i should avoid??? i am a 15 yr beginner so funds are tight.
: thanx

Eddie G had good advice, but I would recommend avoiding Boss pedals! Go Ibanez, much better overdrive distortion.

I have played a lot of overdrive and distortion pedals and the one I am most impressed with and use most often is the Boss Blues Driver. It is very reasonably priced. I got mine at a local shop for about 70 bucks. I haven't found anything in that price range that sounds that good. In my opinion it sounds better than some high-end pedals. But also, it's a Boss and they are built like tanks. That pedal has taken so many beatings and it still peforms flawlessly . It is awesome.

I will second this pedal until I die. You can get as much distortion as you could want for almost anything, and you can get really nice light overdrive, too, although for light overdrive I usually use my amp.
-Rick

Try the "rat" the first one this is a standard for the punk sound I think. Right now I'm using a sans amp tech 21 pedal and this emulates the fender,marshall and Mesa tones. I like it a lot. Goes from real light to heavy crunch. Costs about 120 though. The rat should be between 50-70. Don't be afraid to rock out at the stores and try different shit out there, fuck the owners ears.

Try the "rat" the first one this is a standard for the punk sound I think. Right now I'm using a sans amp tech 21 pedal and this emulates the fender,marshall and Mesa tones. I like it a lot. Goes from real light to heavy crunch. Costs about 120 though. The rat should be between 50-70. Don't be afraid to rock out at the stores and try different shit out there, fuck the owners ears.

Danelectro FAB TONE!
that is if you want heavy distortion...
nothing beats it, and it is only $60.00
seriously, this pedal is a total sleeper.
I would go to the music store and test a bunch of them out If I were you. If your music store won't let you test them, fuck those guys get a new music store.

I own about 30 pedals. You have to find one that you like for your guitar and your amp and most important your ears. The other guys are right on when they say try it loud! Also, try it with your own gear!
You can find a TS7 used for cheap or an old potato bug TS5 ibanez. ALso, I use the Boss DS-1 but it's more for distortion. The Nobels ODR-1 is another good one. Some brands vary between pedals of the same brand, so buy the one you try. My son loves his boss mt-2, but again, that's more distortion.
You might find a gem in one of the cheaper off brands, too. Try 'em all! Havee Fun!!

-PAUL

Mystery semi-acoustic!

Can anyone help me find out more about my semi-acoustic? It's made by a company called Hotaka, but I know nothing about them other than that they are/were a Japanese company. The guitar is a 335-type. The body is flame-top maple and the fingerboard is rosewood. It's sunburst with gold hardware. Does anyone have a Hotaka guitar, or know where I can get more information about them?

Rai

Hey ray, your band sucks and you look like a monkey.

Who plays 7string acoustic?!!

I'm looking for notes and tabs for
low B 7string acoustic guitar.
welcome http://b7sus4.narod.ru

Knobs for Vari Mid

I have a Prestige bass, and the knob of the treble and mid controls of vari mid did broken, I am from Brazil, São Paulo, and I can't find anyone who have that knob, or potenciômetro( like we call here). it`s a B50k ohms (X 2)with dual cam. Thank you.

Best guitars

Can you tell me the absolute best electric guitars made in the U.S. that stay in tune.I found out that most guitars are poorly constructed and I need to find the best.Thankyou,LO'KEY

Easy question.

Gibson Les Paul. Either a standard (plus) or custom, Delux, 59, 58 reissues. BUT, stay away from studio and gothic. They are just pathetic excuses for guitars

Remove guitar track from CD recording

Is there software that will remove guitar from a CD recording? I have seen the karoake software for removing vocals but can't find anything for removing guitar.

Be good if bands released their songs minus guitar so we could jam to them.

Thanks,
Cameron.

66 EB 3 Bass case

I am looking for a original case for a gibson EB3 Bass.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Looking for RadioZero/Eyes Right guitarist from New York City!

Can anyone help me find Mike Zero? He was the guitarist with the New York City band RadioZero and I think he is currently playing with Eyes Right. However, I hear he is leaving the band. If you know Mike or how to get in touch with him, tell him I have the perfect situation for him and can pay well. Contact Randy @ RandmanK@hotmail.com

Thanks

how to solo?

I am have been playing for 2 years and i have learned the pentatonic and major scale>> But it seems like very time when a simple 3 chord theory song, i had a hard time to solo and even if i manage to play my solo is always a repetition!!!

Re: how to solo?

I used to have problems like this, too. Something that I've found useful is to learn the solos from songs you like, you'll pick up nezt little techniques and things to throw into your own solos. I would keep grinding those scales into your head over and over and over again, I'd also learn the Aeolian mode, which a lot of people use in solos. The trick if you practice enough is that you eventually stop thinking about it and just do it. When solos are mainly thought about they usually sound like scales. If your problem is doing one live, then write on beforehand, and drill it repeatedly until you don't even think about it.
Most importantly though, have fun. If you're not playing guitar to make yourself happy, then why are you playing?
-Rick

I hear ya'.Don't take this the wrong way,but at this stage(2yrs.)Your knowledge maybe limited.But don't worry!Rick made some good points.Cop some riffs and phrases from your favorite guitar players.This will increase your vocabulary,allowing you to take more interesting solos.Next,make changes to some phrases and make them your own.LEARN THE SEVEN MODES!This will let you see the guitar differently and add new dimensions to your approach.Ask your instructor to show you how to use these modes.You won't be sorry.
Good Luck

2 years eh? well you'll still be a bit "wet behind the ears"! look, if you want to learn to solo, there are no short cuts, anyone who tells you this is an uninformed fool and propably crap aswell. you have to learn everything slowly and speed it up over a period of years. also, i have found that after reading a whole bunch of books, soloing had come down to learning vibrato and all other tricks properly, but as for the notes themselves, all i can say is don't bother learning other people's work, listen to the notes that fly through your mind, concentrate!, slow them down (a great deal) then find those notes on the neck itself. the compositions that your subconcious mind comes up with will sound infinately better than any covers you will ever do. they will also define your style, sound, and increase your self confidence i.e you won't be wondering wether your mates think your rendition of someone else's work is up to scratch, you'll be listening to their comments about how good you are! for sure man, worked for me and every other musician i know! just get a guitar teacher to teach you the correct way of doing basic solo techniques and tricks, then practice, and all the time write your own solos! keep playing dude!

offre de service comme bassiste

Si vous êtes à la recherche d'un bassiste professionnel pour accompagnement et composition je suis disponible.

Re: offre de service comme bassiste

: Si vous êtes à la recherche d'un <B style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">bassiste</B> professionnel pour accompagnement et composition je suis disponible.

Van Halen's effects

Hey all,
Does anyone know what kind of pedals Van Halen uses? I like the sound on his album Balance. What kind of distortion or fuzz box, delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, wah-wah effects does he implement?

Does anybody have some recommendations on pedals & effects to reproduce his sound? I'm an electric player but have never been into effects until recently.

thanks much!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.