Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2001

Advertisement

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

need help on pickups

halo from the far east....

i'm quite new in the electric guitar world though i've been playing acoustic for a year plus now.....i need you guys' help on two life and death questions.......

1. i need your answer on the best set of pickups.....whether a single coil is good enough, two single coils, a coil and a humbucker, two or three (does that exist) humbuckers or a combination of two humbuckers and a coil etc....there just seem to be too much choices to be made.....if music style is of any concern to this, i play mainly blues and rock (a bit of metal too)..............

2. how good is kramer? while the price is ridiculously attractive, i'm quite curious about the product and the workmanship ie. the coil, the wood, the bridge, the durability etc......one more thing, how can they sell so cheap?

thanks guys.

Re: need help on pickups

: 1. i need your answer on the best set of pickups.....whether a single coil is good enough, two single coils, a coil and a humbucker, two or three (does that exist) humbuckers or a combination of two humbuckers and a coil etc....there just seem to be too much choices to be made.....if music style is of any concern to this, i play mainly blues and rock (a bit of metal too)..............

Well, this is very subjective. But if you play rock and metal, humbuckers are the way to go. For some blues applications, single coils do the trick. You can try to find a guitar that has a coil split which will change the humbuckers to singles for even more sound options. Play lots of guitars and decide what you like the best.

: 2. how good is kramer? while the price is ridiculously attractive, i'm quite curious about the product and the workmanship ie. the coil, the wood, the bridge, the durability etc......one more thing, how can they sell so cheap?

The new Kramers are not very good guitars in general as far as their quality. But I did play one and was quite impressed with the sound and playability of it. They are good starter guitars but probably not something you will want to keep for a long time if you decide to continue playing. I just don't think they will hold up. I personally think you have to be up in the $500 range to get a decent instrument. I would recommend Hamer, Dean, or Washburn guitars. Stay away from Epiphone, Rogue, lower priced Ibanez, and brands you never heard of.
You wont be happy in the long run.

My Laney TF200

Does Anyone know why my speaker warps (thats the only word I can think to describe it) it sounds like it cant take the load, but does it does it when I play quiet to, am i using too much bass, does any1 have this problem also - I also sometimes get a problem with the distortion channel, it happens on VIBE and off, but it doesnt come on for ages (longer than a valve warming up) it then crackles and cuts out a lot. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

My Laney TF200

Does Anyone know why my speaker warps (thats the only word I can think to describe it) it sounds like it cant take the load, but does it does it when I play quiet too, am i using too much bass, does any1 have this problem also - I also sometimes get a problem with the distortion channel, it happens on VIBE and off, but it doesnt come on for ages (longer than a valve warming up) it then crackles and cuts out a lot. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

My Laney TF200

Does Anyone know why my speaker warps (thats the only word I can think to describe it) it sounds like it cant take the load, but does it does it when I play quiet too, am i using too much bass, I cant stand the sound with more treble, does any1 have this problem also - I also sometimes get a problem with the distortion channel, it happens on VIBE and off, but it doesnt come on for ages (longer than a valve warming up) it then crackles and cuts out a lot. Any help would be appreciated, thanx

Re: HELP! My Laney TF200 is playing up also

I think I have the exact same problem, but I havent sorted it out could anyone help?? I also (when I play it loud) get a loud crackling from it I think it happens when it shakes alot because of its own vibrations

sorry 4 repeat posts

Sorry for the repeat posts!

steel lap guitar

I'm looking for information on a guitar I bought at a garage sale. I believe it is a steel lap guitar. Color primarly black with white. Written on the guitar front is the word Airline. On the black felt back is a metal label with: T41887 engraved. Any information would be welcome. THANK YOU !!!

double hanging guitars

Hi,
my band is doing a cover of fade to black by metallica and im playing james' parts. I was thinking about playin the clean on acoustic and the distorted on electric. I was planning on hanging the two guitars at the same time. Is this a bad idea and a recipe for humiliation?? I was also thinking about finding a stand where i could walk up to it and play it and then walk off to play the dist. Any ideas or comments please

brian

Re: double hanging guitars

I've never tried that, but I think that anything original is cool. As long as you pull it off, make sure both guitars aren't on at the same time! =) I don't think most people care how you play or use your instruments, what color your hair is.. etc, as long as you sound good.

-Ben
: Hi,
: my band is doing a cover of fade to black by metallica and im playing james' parts. I was thinking about playin the clean on acoustic and the distorted on electric. I was planning on hanging the two guitars at the same time. Is this a bad idea and a recipe for humiliation?? I was also thinking about finding a stand where i could walk up to it and play it and then walk off to play the dist. Any ideas or comments please

: brian

if jamez can play it with his ESP electric, why cant you? the accoubstic simulating pedals/effects are pretty good nowsaday....~~

I wouldn't hang one guitar over the other for the simple fact that it kinda makes it impossible to play the one underneath, without risking having the other one fall off its strap.

The stand you want is called a Gracie Stand. I'm not certain where you can buy one, maybe on Musicians Friend (www.musiciansfriend.com). It's a stand for an acoustic guitar that you can adjust up and down and play on, then walk away and play the electric guitar. I use one on occasion.

: Hi,
: my band is doing a cover of fade to black by metallica and im playing james' parts. I was thinking about playin the clean on acoustic and the distorted on electric. I was planning on hanging the two guitars at the same time. Is this a bad idea and a recipe for humiliation?? I was also thinking about finding a stand where i could walk up to it and play it and then walk off to play the dist. Any ideas or comments please

: brian

70's Sabre 2 Musicman Electric Guitar- Serial # a005370

Any Info would be appriciated

Re: 70's Sabre 2 Musicman Electric Guitar- Serial # a005370

: Any Info would be appriciated

awesome leo fender guitar....about 1979 from serial no. try this site www.harmonycentral.com......go to user reviews.browse by manufacturer Music Man...(not ernie ball musicman) it's got reviews for Sabre I & Sabre II
that are pretty comprehensive.
later
jimmy
sydney aussie

Re: 70's Sabre 2 Musicman Electric Guitar- Serial # a005370

: Any Info would be appriciated i want sale musicman sabre 2 mahogany all body
i want sale 5000$
form thailand

how did you learn?

ok heres my question. how did you learn to play guitar? did you teach yourself? did you take lessons? did a friend/relative teach you? just curious...

Re: how did you learn?

My roomate taught me(when I was 18)the basic 12 bar blues pattern so he could solo. I was hooked. I then got a job at a music store and learned as much as I could as fast as I could. All self taught from then on.
I'm 40 now,(ugh)and mostly just record.

: My roomate taught me(when I was 18)the basic 12 bar blues pattern so he could solo. I was hooked. I then got a job at a music store and learned as much as I could as fast as I could. All self taught from then on.
: I'm 40 now,(ugh)and mostly just record.

: REALLY. You wanna play guitar or try to PUT SHIT TOGETHER/UNDERSTAND? Which will make YOU a better GUITARIST in the long run? Ask Les Paul/Chet Atkins. LEARN. As Segovia said,"I am a STUDENT of the guitar." How many chord variations are there?? Over 2500! You gonna learn them on your own???? I think NOT. Guitar IS a disclipline. Even Hamett is taking lessons.

i got my first guitar when i was 11. but my fingers are not long and strong enought to play it. I get the "tutorial sheet" from church to start learning the chords at 13. I couldnt find any one that are better than me at that time to teach me any further. i can only learn from CDs. My skills start to improve like hell afther playing metallica, particulary kirt's solo. If u r able to handle kirt's solo, i dont think u will have any problem playing any other songs in this planet.i am now 23

Started learning from dad on his guitar, then I got my own in 6th grade. I've been playing plenty since. I took some lessons on and off, but I do think after you learn the sounds of things, figuring out songs and how people you like to listen to do what they do ends up being the most helpful. Practice helps tons too, I spend most of my free hours here at school playing guitar.
Some of the best were entirely self-taught, which seems like a slow route to me, but maybe it's better in the long run.
-Rick

: It is a pain in the butt, however I recommend teaching yourself. The reason: because you will have no pre-conceived notions of how to play. Everything from a noise to a great arpeggio can be a great part/song. I found that after I taught myself and then later took some lessons(with different teachers)that the teachers were trying to pigeon-hole me into "a guitar student" rather than a musician. It's tough to put into words, but I think self taught is the way to go. Just use your friends for free lessons and jam with lots of people. It's more fun that way.

I started playing guitar when I was 14 yrs. old. I started taking lessons from a guy Jeff Cohen for my first 4 years.He also held group guitar lessons and had
Guitar Therapy classes.Later,I studied while in college
and then went to Mannes for two years(expensive).
Learned classical counter-point(loved it),amoung other
things.Gigged with a lot of bands.Took more lessons with this cool mofo(what's his name)three lessons with
this cat changed my whole perspective of guitar.When I
first started with lessons I wanted to learn everything.My teacher said,"slow down kid,nobody knows it all." "There's simply too much to know." So I'll just keep playing and keep learning.
PLAY ON PLAYERS!

: ok heres my question. how did you learn to play guitar? did you teach yourself? did you take lessons? did a friend/relative teach you? just curious...

I am 95% self taught. I've taken lessons from 3 or 4 different teachers,
but mostly I learned from reading and listening. Reading books that is, and listening
to music. I also learned A LOT by jamming with other players, and joining
a band. That is probably the THE MOST effective way to learn.

Bob

I've been playing for a total of fifteen years. I took lessons my first six months or so, and have been teaching myself since. I picked up a lot of stuff early on through guitar magazines, Guitar For The Practicing Musician mostly.

: ok heres my question. how did you learn to play guitar? did you teach yourself? did you take lessons? did a friend/relative teach you? just curious...

First I listened to guitar players I really liked, like Frank Zappa, Carlos Santana, Jerry Garcia, and John Cipollina. And I had a friend that was a really good guitar player, and he taught me a lot of stuff. And then I got method books at the local music stores, like "Lead Guitar" and "Slide Guitar" by Green Note Publications. That was about 30 years ago :)

I've been learning from an online place called digevent.com
I actually work there, and I get to jam with the guitar instructor before we go live... if you want to see he does lessons
guitarmania.digevent.com
it's totally cool!
Phil

ESP LTD F-200

Can Anybody describe me all the details of this guitar?Because I wanna buy it, but I want to be sure that it's a good professional guitar for playing "heavy sounds"!!!

Re: ESP LTD F-200

Go to http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/ESP/F-200-01.html

where can i find patches of groups for boss GT3?

where can i find patches of groups for boss GT3

Re: where can i find patches of groups for boss GT3?

: where can i find patches of groups for boss GT3

... check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GT-3

guitars' makers internships-Juani

Where should I look for information about gitars' makers internship, and how and where to show my work?

INTERNSHIPS for guitars' makers - Juani

Where should I look for information about gitars' makers internship, and how and where to show my work?

Re: INTERNSHIPS for guitars' makers - Juani

:I would say find a local guitar maker(not just a luthier, but someone who goes from tree to guitar) and show them any work you have and show them your desire to learn. once you begin, keep a portfolio of work you've done and network yourself at shows,NAMM whatever.
It will take some time to get noticed and don't expect Gibson or Fender to sign you up right off the bat.

SHOWING MYSELF - Juani

I'm a guitars' maker. Where should i look for web-places or some post-addresses to send my work? thanx

Re: SHOWING MYSELF - Juani

I don't know but I'd like to see your work. If you feel like it, send me an e-mail with a picture of one of your guitars. I'm just starting to make them as well.
-Rick

Joe Satriani: What's his best album?

I've heard alot about him and I'd like to check him out.

Re: Joe Satriani: What's his best album?

: I've heard alot about him and I'd like to check him out.

-Zak, I really enjoy his double-live album, Surfing with the Alien is good too...He's an awesome player.

Hes absolutely wicked, especially live, I would have to agree, get Time Machine the double CD one it has a studio CD and live one also with (some of) the best tracks on :)

Zak, Coming from a guitar player who plays fusion myself. I would say check out the G3 album. It has some of his best songs such as Summer song and Flying in a blue dream. Steve VAi and Eric Johnson are also on the CD. It's a great album.

opinions on best 15-watt amp

what is the best bang for the buck as far as 15-watt amps go? ive been looking at crates, squiers, and fenders.

Re: opinions on best 15-watt amp

I have one of those little Crate 15 watt Club series amps. It's class A power with an 8" speaker. By itself, it's only useful as a practice amp at home, or maybe for recording....the 8" speaker is a little shrill for my taste. I plug it into my 4X10 cabinet though and it has this awesome overdrive sound. My singer uses it onstage for his Stratocaster. I play through my Mesa/Boogie because it's way more versatile and sounds better, but there's no sneezing at the tone of the Crate.

Food for thought. By the way, part of the reason it sounds so good is it's all tube, not that cheesy solid state crud tone. I bought it used for $129.00

: what is the best bang for the buck as far as 15-watt amps go? ive been looking at crates, squiers, and fenders.

haha, my first amp was a 70 watt Peavey for $75 used Canadian $$$, i got a deal... its a great PRACTISE amp.

: haha, my first amp was a 40 watt Peavey for $75 used Canadian $$$, i got a deal... its a great PRACTISE amp.

: what is the best bang for the buck as far as 15-watt amps go? ive been looking at crates, squiers, and fenders.

I've owned a gorilla, a pv, a Fender Frontman, and a
Vox Pathfinder. the Gorilla was horrible. the PV was ok. the Fender was ok. The Vox Was the best. Low price, lots of sound. a real good deal.

Check out the reviews of the Laney LC15 and LC15R on Harmony Central. General conclusion seems to be that they sound amazing but might have reliability problems. Seem to be the cheapest all-valve class A amps out there.

Ibanez TB15R for power, features and overall sound
http://chrisbsmusic.com

strings- the thicker the better?!!!

yeah right, i know the thicker it is, the better it will sound. It's ok if i use E 11s to play blues. BUT metallica?!!! i even struggle with E10s to play master and seek 's solo from kirt. i doubt those guys out there who always claim how thick the strings they use have ever try out the solo as mentioned above with their E 12,E 13s....

Re: strings- the thicker the better?!!!

by the way, what's the standard gauge u guys use for heavy metal solos?

Re: strings- the thicker the better?!!!

I use 10's and am putting on 11's next set. Your fingers get strong enough to do it. Mine sure have. You also build up some left hand stamina. Go play on a set of 11's for a week and then try some 9's on different guitar. You'll see what I mean.
I do, by the way, play some Metallica from that era, and with some time you can surely use those big strings.
-Rick

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.