Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: First guitar

well I can tell you this.
you have enough to start out, but you dont have enough to start out on new equipment.
My advice to you is: Go looking around pawn shops for nice guitars in your price range, then buy a nice practice amp like a little RMS or Gorrilla or something small to save some money and let you practice. Trust me, when you start out its better to buy used equpiment that way you dont waste all this money on new stuff, because you might not want your new stuff anymore and you would have wasted all that time and money on it. Used gear is just a better introduction into guitar playing, after a few years on the used gear, if you decide you like guitar enough, move up and buy bigger newer things.

Re: First guitar

: well I can tell you this.
: you have enough to start out, but you dont have enough to start out on new equipment.
: My advice to you is: Go looking around pawn shops for nice guitars in your price range, then buy a nice practice amp like a little RMS or Gorrilla or something small to save some money and let you practice. Trust me, when you start out its better to buy used equpiment that way you dont waste all this money on new stuff, because you might not want your new stuff anymore and you would have wasted all that time and money on it. Used gear is just a better introduction into guitar playing, after a few years on the used gear, if you decide you like guitar enough, move up and buy bigger newer things.

DUDE, YOU DON'T WANT USED EQ. MOST OF THE STUFF AT PAWN SHOPS IS WAY OVER PRICED. AND NOT IN THE BEST SHAPE. THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS A GUITAR THAT SOUNDS LIKE JUNK. YOU'LL HATE IT AND NOT WANT TO PLAY IT.
YOU SAID YOUY HAD $150 THROW ANOTHER $30 IN AND CHECK OUT MUSICYO.COM GET A KRAMER AMP/GUITAR/ECT. FOR $180
CHECK OUT THE FOCUS FAT PAK AND BOTH THE PACER PAKS
GOOD LUCK MAN

guitar player lists

Do you all know of any good guitar player lists? My duo partner is a harmonica player (we play roots oriented music, a lot of blues) and he has a great connection to the active harmonica world through a list called harp l. I would like to find something similar, a community of active guitar players/geeks/afficianados.
TIA
Larry Olson

acoustic lead guitar

I play in an acoustic duo, roots based with much blues, gigging 3-5 times a week. Sometimes when I am playing lead my only back up is the other guy's harmonica. I am playing through a PA head. Does anyone have any ideas for fattening up the lead guitar sound? I have tried a Zoom pedal and find it either too crunchy or too noisy or both. Looking for alternatives and will consider anything. I would like to be able to play one note and have it have the power and sustain to rule that moment, maybe even occasionally for four or eight beats, in the kind of way a horn can.

Re: acoustic lead guitar

: I play in an acoustic duo, roots based with much blues, gigging 3-5 times a week. Sometimes when I am playing lead my only back up is the other guy's harmonica. I am playing through a PA head. Does anyone have any ideas for fattening up the lead guitar sound? I have tried a Zoom pedal and find it either too crunchy or too noisy or both. Looking for alternatives and will consider anything. I would like to be able to play one note and have it have the power and sustain to rule that moment, maybe even occasionally for four or eight beats, in the kind of way a horn can.

I would try with a chorus pedal. The idea here is to obtain the effect of two or more guitars instead of one, so another way is to plug into your amp, and then connect the preamp out of your amp to the power-amp-input of another amp, so you will go through two speakers. If possible, put a delay between the two amps w/2 to 5 miliseconds of delay, it will increase the illusion of two guitars sounding.
Don't use too much reverb or cut the mid frequencies, cause it makes the guitar sound hidden.

Batio vs. Vai

You know, I like Michael Angelo Batio. He is really fast and cool sounding but I think in the speed section he pulverizes Steve Vai, but Steve blows Mike out of the water with all his cool technicallity and heart. Does anyone else agree? I think I like Steve is the best, he's a darn cool guitar player.
tell me your thoughts on the situation.

P.S. Does anyone know any REALLY fast guitar players? even faster than Batio and Gilbert? if so please tell me about them!

Re: Batio vs. Vai

There is no such thing as being faster than Michael Angelo Batio. The Call to Arms solo creates a rip in the fabric of space and time.

There is a guy named Rusty Cooley who i think is faster than Angelo.

: There is a guy named Rusty Cooley who i think is faster than Angelo.

Rusty Cooley is a. not as fast as Michael Angelo and b. not nearly as technical as Steve Via-please you obviously have no knowledge of Via or Angelo.

[The body of this post has been lost]

Who doesn't like speedkillers. The guitars are the guitars are greater than Steve Vai Check out Speedkillers.com

Gilbert is better than both of them in my opinion. He is plenty fast enough (listen to "Frenzy") and has more expression and musical creativity than Vai and Batio. listen to "Viking Kong" by racer x.

Todd Duane - the fastest guitar player ever

sunny awesome! have you ever heard of that guy! damn! angelo will sound like curt cobain if they would have a fuckin showndown! oh yeah!

oh! nadingig nyo ba ni karl iso? aysus! apo! nagpaspas la u nay! kaya 400bps in 7 strings guitar! ehem! agbain kayo aminin! umay kau id toy baguio jay regidors tailoring ta madingeg yo anya? it got yo pay angelo ag balin nga angelito...

speed is not important! if u wanna hear some REAL MUSIC, GREAT ARTISTIC ABILITY, SUPERB COMPOSITIONS n FULL OF SOUL... all u need is; ALLAN HOLDSWORTH!!! (by the way, i like the all other guitar shredders. moore, macalpine, roth, schenker, rhoads, van halen, m. angelo, vai, satriani, t. duane, kotzen, g. howe, d. uhrich, s. rose, g. hoey, r. le tekro, a. takasaki...) all artists is extremely important for the music world... we don't need no musician genocide or sill competition thing. (sorry 4 my weak english speaking)

i love speed metal, check out marty friedman and jason becker, becker made sweep picking look like it was nothing. too bad about that disease he got, i think he was faster then yngwie. i think vai is ultimately the better player. after hearing mike play, dont get me wrong, its intense and i love it. but it sounds like the same thing over and over. but steve can do pretty much anything. he gives a song emotion. and i mean real emotion like laughter and like the beginning of yanky rose. its like charlie brown's teacher talking. its just amazing. but i got to hand it to the both of them, not just them, but eddie van halen, paul gilbert, joe satriani, there are a million keeping real talented playing alive. and i'd rather look up to these guitar players, and strive to be like them rather than the linkin parks and limp bizkits out there. i wonder if anyone will even read this.

Girl Guitar Players?

Who is the best female rock guitar player? Someone told me it was the Great Kat, but she is god aweful, and she is like retarded. I dont mean to sound sexist or something, but I swear there are like hardly any genuinly outstanding female guitar players!

Re: Girl Guitar Players?

Bonnie Rait doesn't do too damn bad and Meridith Brooks Sheryl Crow and Mellisa Ethridge are all more than capable but here in Australia we have a couple of all girl rock bands called Nitocris and Skulker that not only play well but really rock hard.

Maybe Jennifer Batten...for rock guitarists.

Two others that I can recommend for classical are Liona Boyd and Muriel Anderson. Excellent guitarists.

Hmm.The baddest girl guitar players I've heard were, Jennifer Batten and Wendy Malovin(Prince).Wendy had awesome picking tecnique and jazz knowledge.Barbara Mandrel can really whup some ass too.

: Who is the best female rock guitar player? Someone told me it was the Great Kat, but she is god aweful, and she is like retarded. I dont mean to sound sexist or something, but I swear there are like hardly any genuinly outstanding female guitar players!

I'll throw Susan Tedeschi into this mix. While she certainly doesn't tear up an ax with right hand tapping, etc, she plays fairly well, plays slide also, much as Bonnie Raitt.... all while singing her guts out. Try her, you'll like her ;)

Carina Alfie is the shit on the guitar!

: Carina Alfie is the shit on the guitar!
I think CARINA is a great guitarrist from ARGENTINA,she´s 4 cds edited,maybe you didn´t listen her very well,she´s also at FAVORED NATIONS(STEVE VAI´S LABEL,with CUERDAS VITALES, a great cd)and she´s recorded TRANSMISSION(her las album,at THE MOTHERSHIP)you can check her website:
www.carinaalfie.cjb.net

PEACE
DANIEL

I would like to mention allison robertson of the donnas
. I saw her play on vh1 and thought she was great.

I saw a chick around Boston, Faneza Izabella... she rocked pretty hard. She was part of an all girl band..pretty tight !!!

Rebecca Brown. Bassist in School Of Rock. Gold.

hi e-mail me if your a real guitarist

cause i want to know what is the one true best guitar,send me pics if u want to cause ill get you and your guitar on my best guitar/guitarists forumn

Rhythm of Life?

Hi to all, I have a question about a good old Tune. Afriend of mine has asked me to find her a copy of the lyrics to "The rhythm of Life". Is there anyone out there who knows them or knows where to get them. I would appreciate the help. It goes sota like this: And the rhythm of life is a powerful thing, You can feel it in your fingers feel it in your feet ......... Any help???

Re: Rhythm of Life?

Look here: http://www.saber.net/~astartae/rhythm.html

I don't know about getting the music, but on www.allmusic.com if you search you can find a bunch of albums it's on.

: Hi to all, I have a question about a good old Tune. Afriend of mine has asked me to find her a copy of the lyrics to "The rhythm of Life". Is there anyone out there who knows them or knows where to get them. I would appreciate the help. It goes sota like this: And the rhythm of life is a powerful thing, You can feel it in your fingers feel it in your feet ......... Any help???

Re: Rhythm of Life-Cy Coleman & Dorothy Fields

You sound a little young to be looking for old for old semi-forgotten lyrics like these... but if you want them, here they are.

Rhythm Of Life
(Cy Coleman & Dorothy Fields)

Daddy started out in San Francisco
Tootin' on a trumpet loud and mean
Suddenly a voice said, Go forth, daddy!
Spread the picture on a wider screen!

And the voice said
Daddy there's a million pigeons
Ready to be hooked on new religions
Hit the road, daddy
Leave your commonlaw wife
Spread the religion of the rhythm of life

And the rhythm of life is a powerful beat
Puts a tingle in your fingers and a tingle in your feet
Rhythm in the playroom, rhythm in the street
Yeah the rhythm of life is a powerful beat

(To feel the rhythm of life,)
For the rhythm of life is a powerful beat,
(To feel the powerful beat)
(To feel the tingle in your fingers)
(To feel the tingle in your feet)
The rhythm of life is a powerful beat!

(Daddy go)
For the rhythm of life is a powerful beat
(down below)
Puts a tingle in your fingers and a tingle in your feet!
Rhythm in the bedroom, rhythm on the street,
(Down below)
And the rhythm of life is a powerful beat!

Daddy spread the gospel in Milwaukee
Took his walkie-talkie to the Rocky Ridge
Blew his way to Canton, then to Scranton
Till he landed under the Manhattan Bridge

Daddy was a new sensation
Got himself a congregation
Built up quite an operation down below

With the Pie eyed piper blowing
While the muscatel was flowing
All the cats were go, go, going down below

Daddy was a new sensation
(Daddy was a new sensation, Got himself a congregation)
Got himself a congregation
(Built up quite an operation down below)
Like a Pie eyed piper blowing
Built up quite an operation down below

Like a Pie eyed piper blowing
While the muscatel was flowing
All the cats were go, go, going down below

Flip your wings and fly to daddy
Fly, fly, fly to daddy

Take a dive and swim to daddy
Swim, swim, swim to daddy

Hit the floor and crawl to daddy
Crawl, crawl, crawl to daddy

And the rhythm of life is a powerful beat
Puts a tingle in your fingers, tingle in your feet
The rhythm of life is a powerful beat

(To feel the rhythm of life)
O, the rhythm of life is a powerful beat
(To feel the powerful beat)
Puts a tingle in your fingers and a tingle in your feet!
(To feel the tingle in your fingers)
Rhythm in the playroom, rhythm on the street
(To feel the tingle in your feet)

(Daddy go)
For the rhythm of life is a powerful beat
(go, go, go)
(down below)
Rhythm in the playroom, rhythm on the street,

To feel the rhythm of life,
To feel the powerful beat,
To feel the tingle in your fingers,
To feel the tingle in your life

Daddy, we've got the rhythm, rhythm, rhythm, rhythm of life!

Jimmy Bruno Midnight Blue Guild eBay Auction

To celebrate the release of Jimmy Bruno's smokin' new Concord release Midnight Blue on August 14th you can bid to win a private lesson with Jimmy in his hometown of Brotherly Love- Philadelphia!

The Winning Bidder will also receive one guitar courtesy of Fender Guild: The Guild StarFire 2, thin line archtop, retail value $1999.99 and one Seymour Duncan pickup! The winner may choose from either their Seymour Duncan, Antiquity or Benedetto product lines.

Also included are 1 dozen guitar picks and 1 set of strings- Everything you need to become a guitar virtuoso!

Dobro guitar--possibly 1949?

I have a dobro, made of nickel I believe. The stamp on end is #2170. Painted gold color, original. Original Dobro sticker still on it. Does anyone know approximate worth of this guitar or where there is info I can get for this particular guitar? Thank you Doris

wireing

Can you tell me how to wire 2 Humbukers (with only two wires coming from eatch) and a 3 way toggle switch

Re: wireing

: Can you tell me how to wire 2 Humbukers (with only two wires coming from eatch) and a 3 way toggle switch

try asking to this adress:

homeguitarrepair@homeguitarrepair.com

http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~jamie/

another site to take a look - highly recommended

: Can you tell me how to wire 2 Humbukers (with only two wires coming from eatch) and a 3 way toggle switch

I'VE GOT A TELE STYLE GTR W/DBL HUM 3 WAY SLIDE SELECTOR AND PUSH/PULL V/T ANY HELP ON WIREING THIS UP WOULD BE GREAT...

ive got a huge weiner

ive got a huge weiner

Hand Positioning?

Should the thumb of your fretting hand stay behind the
fret board or is it okay to let it come on top?

Re: Hand Positioning?

Usually the thumb stays back behind the fretbaord, but I mean, its not illegal to do funny tricks and stuff with it. You could turn it into a "showoff trick".

Take it easy

: Should the thumb of your fretting hand stay behind the
: fret board or is it okay to let it come on top?

It depends if you want to play like, let's say, Vai, or Vaughan - see their own thumbs and compare...

: Should the thumb of your fretting hand stay behind the
: fret board or is it okay to let it come on top?

Check out www.richiehavens.com, this guy uses his thumb to play chords. He performed in the original Woodstock, his version of Dylan's "just like a woman" blew me away.

Check it out..he uses his thumb to play chords..amazing.

regards

Hmm.Generally,it's better to play with the thumb behind
the neck.You'll have greater mobility when playing.This
taught in music schools(Violin position).I alternate between the two,depending on what I'm playing.I'm not really conscious of it.Do whats comfortable for you.
Good Luck

Value of VERY Old Electra in basement?

My Uncle passed away and left my cousin the oldest elctric guitar I have ever heard of. My cousin said it has been identified as an original Electra hollow body in excellent condition, with a matching tube amp that's rough but still kinda works, and the orignal case which is in poor condition. It is believed to have been made pre-WWII, and my Uncle was the orignal owner. The guy at the little store in Arkansas said it should be in a museum. Any idea what this could be worth and how I could get in touch with Electra about it?

Re: Value of VERY Old Electra in basement?

: My Uncle passed away and left my cousin the oldest elctric guitar I have ever heard of. My cousin said it has been identified as an original Electra hollow body in excellent condition, with a matching tube amp that's rough but still kinda works, and the orignal case which is in poor condition. It is believed to have been made pre-WWII, and my Uncle was the orignal owner. The guy at the little store in Arkansas said it should be in a museum. Any idea what this could be worth and how I could get in touch with Electra about it?

Cuz,hold on to it.Keep it as clean as you can.The amp?...well,electronic parts go bad,it can prob' be fix'd.If I were you,I'd take it to someone I trusted to set the action and intonation(go thru it),re-string it(cuz that won't affect the value of it),and see what it sounds like thru a good amp.Ofcourse some folks might say leave it as it is,but I'm just a guitar freak,whut can i say?Before you do anything,you shouls search the web,Electra,or Elektra,should have a web-site.Good luck,you may have something that very well may be one of few left intact.,all else said,.....hold it!!!

What are the identifying marks of an American/Mexican Fender Stratocaster?

Could someone please give some information about Stratocasters. What is the difference in appearance/sound and overall quality of American and Mexican Stratocasters?

Re: What are the identifying marks of an American/Mexican Fender Stratocaster?

: Could someone please give some information about Stratocasters. What is the difference in appearance/sound and overall quality of American and Mexican Stratocasters?

i have a black strat mexican serial no mn4 142112..... so any information pertaining this number. what is the difference btw maple and rosewood finger boards? thnx

New Korg AX1500G website

HEy All!

I recently started a website of resources for the Korg AX1500g - I'm gonna get a patch database going. Any submissions, comments, or feedback would be great!

Tim

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.