Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

How To Shop For A Classical Guitar

Hi folks,

My name's Lindi Hobbs, out in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I don't play any instruments, but my 12 year old son has turned into quite a talented classical guitarist. It's time to get him a "serious"
guitar, as opposed to the little learning piece he has now. I'm going to be in Albuquerque next month, and I understand one of the best guitar manufacturers, Pimentel has their headquarters there.

Anyway, I'll be, as they say, a "babe in the woods" doing my shopping. My brother will be with me, but while he plays, he insists he doesn't know much about purchasing guitars either.

Question: I've been told to make sure the guitar has a "solid" front and back ... but how the heck to I tell? I've seen nice guitars that look like they have two kinds of wood on the back, but they're "solid
back" anyway. So what does "solid" mean? no holes? well, I hope not!

Anyway, if you folks have any pointers on what to look for and what to steer clear of, I'd be grateful.

Thanks and take care ~ Lindi

Re: How To Shop For A Classical Guitar

Hi; Solid top means the front of the guitar is real wood as opposed to plywood. You can usually tell by looking at the edges of the soundhole ( the round hole beneath the strings). Of course, the salesperson should be able to supply that info, but this is the main difference, if it is plywood you should be able to see the laminations, if it is solid wood you should be able to see the grain. Solid top guitars are usually more money and better guitars. Happy shopping, Jim

Re: How To Shop For A Classical Guitar

OK, I advise you to buy a guitar that has thin bar, because probaly he has small hands.. I would advise antonio sanchez model 1025, it is about 800 dollars, it is very good even for concerts. I have one and very happy. it is really hard to find this guitar in america. if you can afford buy the 1035 model.
good day

EMG81 vs DI EVOLUTION

EMG81 vs DImorzio EVOLUTION, which one is better for metallica and classic rock solo? can u use them both on a guitar? can i swtich btw to play solo with these 2 different pickups?

Re: EMG81 vs DI EVOLUTION

Funny you mention these 2 pick ups - I just switched from an EVO to an 81 - I play stuff in the Glassjaw/Mudvayne/Deftones/Nothingface vein of things - Much much better w the 81 - more clarity - the cleans aren';t bad - most people bitch the 81 sounds artifical clean - but it's not bad - I just turn my volume down to clean up -so tkae my opinion on the clean for what it is worth. Peace -
Rai
www.simple168.com

Zoom 9000 replacement

Does anyone know a good, not ridiculously expensive one-box replacement for the old Zoom 9000
Thanks

Epiphone 2001, the pickup good enought???

i just got an Epiphone 2001, is the stck pickup good enought??? what should i change it to ? i play solo like hotel california and metallica .

Re: Epiphone 2001, the pickup good enought???

: it's Epiphone LP standard manufactured in 2001

Old Hofner guitar

I've bought anold Hofner guitar, in fairly bad shape.
It's an acoustic blues-model (2 S-holes, a wooden bridge) Is it worth something? And how much do I have to pay for reconstruction and eventually to add one or two pickups,

Old Hofner guitar

I've bought anold Hofner guitar, in fairly bad shape.
It's an acoustic blues-model (2 S-holes, a wooden bridge) Is it worth something? And how much do I have to pay for reconstruction and eventually to add one or two pickups,

Re: Old Hofner guitar

I can't personally tell U, though I would be interested in the answer as I have owned an acoustic Hofner Blonde since 1958 and it's in really good condition.

Someone please help me with my esp guitar for stringing

How do I put a new string in it? It is way diff than my other guitars

Re: Someone please help me with my esp guitar for stringing

: How do I put a new string in it? It is way diff than my other guitars

your dumb

Gibson V Parts

Does anyone know where you can get parts for a Gibson V.

Re: Gibson V Parts

It depends on what parts you want, but a good source is Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/)

: Does anyone know where you can get parts for a Gibson V.

zoom505II

hi, just bought a zoom505II but no instructions came with it,
does anybody know and patch settings or where i can get them.
infuences are brian may, mark knopfler, gary moore.thanks

Re: zoom505II

[The body of this post has been lost]

WHERE I CAN GET PATCHES FOR ZOOM 505II ????????????
......SOUNDS LIKE INCUBUS, PINK FLOYD,....

não sei programar minha pedaleira me ajude please!

ñsei nada me ensina

: hi, just bought a zoom505II but no instructions came with it,
: does anybody know and patch settings or where i can get them.
: infuences are brian may, mark knopfler, gary moore.thanks
i like mare efects about the play and the lirycs of the group metallica.

: hi, just bought a zoom505II but no instructions came with it,
: does anybody know where i can get the zoom505II portuguese manual.

thanks

Gretsch Guitar

I have a 1960's gretsch Annivarsary Guitar in fair condition,it's color is sunburst,That's all i know about it,Im thinking of selling it,can anyone give me an idea what to ask for it,i have the orginal case also which is not in good condition.Will apperciate any help.

Re: Gretsch Guitar

Hi Barbara - jeez ... don't sell it! I'd guess at around $1600 US, but you might want to look at this web site for more information on your guitar: http://www.gretschpages.com/models/
Of course, if you wish to donate it, I'll take good care of it! Steve

jake jones pickups for strat

does anybody know about the jake jones pick ups?
I' m for info or a web site of those pick ups

Re: jake jones pickups for strat

I have my pickups in my Strat a couple of yers now and I'm very happy with them. They are very clean with a nice bite. Great for Blues and Country.

Gibson "The Paul" Guitar

I have a Gibson "The Paul" guitar, in mint condition.

Where can I get an honest answer as to the value of it??

Thanks

Re: Gibson "The Paul" Guitar

assuming you mean Les Paul as in the name of the designer and a big electric guitar pioneer it could be worth quite a lot.. do a little research.. find out how old it is and compare on e-bay

Re: Gibson

Gibson brought out a model called the Paul couple of years ago. It's one of their cheapest
"proper" Les Pauls. About IR£900 new, as far as I remember. No idea for used in dollars.

gibson the paul is worth about 500USD

The "The Paul" is a stripped down version of the Les Paul. Most were made in the late 70s. They are a bit hard to find but still only sell for up to 600 dollars.

the paul was a guitar manufactured by gibson in 1979.
designed by les paul...

: assuming you mean Les Paul as in the name of the designer and a big electric guitar pioneer it could be worth quite a lot.. do a little research.. find out how old it is and compare on e-bay

: I have a Gibson "The Paul" guitar, in mint condition.

: Where can I get an honest answer as to the value of it??

: Thanks

Hey, i have a The Paul also, it was given to me by my uncle. I took it to a guitar shop and they gave me an estimate. They said around $700 as compared to around $1000 for the les paul. i would think your best bet would be go directly to Gibson with the serial #.

SONG competition - $5000 worth of prizes

What could you spend a cool $3,000 first prize on? Your band? Your own home studio? Your rehearsal room? Musician's Friend are giving you the chance to find out! Want to win a $3,000 gift certificate from MusiciansFriend.com, giving you access to some first-class music equipment? Of course, you do. And here's how.

Simply submit your best song to us. Don't worry too much about the style or genre. Just give us your best shot. The final date for submitting your song is April 6, 2001.

Complete details: <a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/2001/">http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/2001/</a>.

* '2001: A Musicians Odyssey - brought to you by Musician's Friend' is only open to residents of the United States.

HELP MY GUITAR PLAYING SOUND MORE MECHANICAL

PLEASE HELP!!!
IM IN AN INDUSTRIAL METAL BAND AND CANT SEEM TO PLAY MY GUITAR
TO MATCH A MECHANICAL SOUND. SUCH AS (FEAR FACTORY,STATIC-X). PLEASE EMAIL ME TO HELP

Re: HELP MY GUITAR PLAYING SOUND MORE MECHANICAL

: PLEASE HELP!!!
: IM IN AN INDUSTRIAL METAL BAND AND CANT SEEM TO PLAY MY GUITAR
: TO MATCH A MECHANICAL SOUND. SUCH AS (FEAR FACTORY,STATIC-X). PLEASE EMAIL ME TO HELP

why don't you try some line six amps and work on the chugging. Try out the fast picking in Replica or the groove in Egdecrusher, both by FF. Masturbating does not help wrist action.

Re: HELP MY GUITAR PLAYING SOUND MORE MECHANICAL

I have a Line 6 spyder 210 combo. The Tubetone speakers are'nt the best, but it comes with some great affects that give me the perfect industrial edge sound.

If your really up for some industrial poundage....then go for either Line 6 products... or Roland. Roland is expensive, but they have awesome effects that will blow you away. Check some stuff out on ebay. I know a guy who has had his Roland Amp for over 10 years, and it still sounds perfect. Roland is the way to go, trust me. But it cost $$$, goodluck.

Yngwie Malmsteen Statocaster for SALE!

I have a 1988-89 Yngwie Malmsteen Sinature Fender stratocaster for Sale in good conditon. Serial# H039152 please e-mail me if interested! Taking offers

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Statocaster for SALE!

: I have a 1988-89 Yngwie Malmsteen Sinature Fender stratocaster for Sale in good conditon. Serial# H039152 please e-mail me if interested! Taking offers

hye i am from israel and i would like to know if yuor guitar has a 70's big head stock and what pickups u got ,if it's a fender u.s.a and how much u want for it.

: : I have a 1988-89 Yngwie Malmsteen Sinature Fender stratocaster for Sale in good conditon. Serial# H039152 please e-mail me if interested! Taking offers

What color is it, what fretboard does it have, what is the over all condition? I am very interested!

Requesting price

: I have a 1988-89 Yngwie Malmsteen Sinature Fender stratocaster for Sale in good conditon. Serial# H039152 please e-mail me if interested! Taking offers

What's the price?

how to multi-effect + Pedals???

i am thinking of using the amp modelling and sound modulation effect in multieffect(rp-1000)...but i want to chain it with boss metal zone and dunlop cry baby 535 Q wah. what should i do ? thanks

Re: how to multi-effect + Pedals???

I use a GT-3 along with a Cry baby, Tube screamer, Daddy O, Small Stone and Boss DD3...Just make sure the Stomp boxes are first in the chain, the processor last... ..

help!!! how to re-wiring on my epiphone LP standard!!

how to re-wiring on my epiphone LP standard

Re: help!!! how to re-wiring on my epiphone LP standard!!

Rewiring it how? Just redoing it the way it comes from the factory?

: how to re-wiring on my epiphone LP standard

the bridge pickup will sometimes get soundless or drop on distortion level...wat can i do?

Re: the bridge pickup will sometimes get soundless or drop on distortion level...wat can i do?

Start by checking to see if all the wires are soldered solidly to the controls...don't forget to check the toggle switch.

It doesn't happen to the neck pickup at all? You might check the wires coming from the pickup itself too.

Guitar Effects

I've just recently started using a few pedals ... rather than buying a half dozen pedals, is there such a thing a a multi-effect box, such as a midi for electric piano, one can use for guitar? Mostly looking for jazz & chorus out of an accoustic/electric tak. Thanks ... Steve

Re: Guitar Effects

found it ... nevermind.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.