Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Napster

: : How do I get signed up for the napster

Depends on what you're talking about.
If you're talking about the service, you just go to www.napster.com and download the software and you're good to go. If you mean putting your songs on there, then you just have to have your songs on your hard drive and they'll automatically put them into your account, free for everyone to download.

Greg

GUILD GUITARS AND INFO ON SPEC'S AND DIFFERENT MODELS,ETC.

I am a collector of Guild Guitars and I need to talk to people
who are collectors or fans of Guild Guitars who have information and
on certain models the years that they were made and other information
that would help me in my collection.

Re: GUILD GUITARS AND INFO ON SPEC'S AND DIFFERENT MODELS,ETC.

: I am a collector of Guild Guitars and I need to talk to people
: who are collectors or fans of Guild Guitars who have information of model: M-80, 1977, I want to know if possible, information about it´s actual price aproximately, thanks a lot and excuse my english
:

Re: GUILD GUITAR :1963 Starfire 2 for sale

:all original parts but requires restoration to restore to former glory, otherwise plays and sounds superb.Olny reason for sale is i am a drummer!
:

: who are collectors or fans of Guild Guitars who have information and
: on certain models the years that they were made and other information
: that would help me in my collection.
:

I own a Guild star shaped guitar ,, a bit like an Explorer I guess ,, serial no HF100046 , you may be able to help me with a bit of info about this guitar
I thank you for your assistance
Andrew

: who are collectors or fans of Guild Guitars who have information and
: on certain models the years that they were made and other information
: that would help me in my collection.
:
Glad to find your site. I have a pre-60's Guild Sunburst solid body and practice amp that I played for approximately 15 years. I bought it instead of an L5. Pretty good condition. Never played professionally. Interested in conversation?

Pickup changing

Hello

I recently bought an ibanez grx70 guitar and I would like to change the pickups tp make it sound more like a fender stratocaster. Any tips?suggestions?

turnarounds

can anybody pls. tell me what "turnarounds are?

Re: turnarounds

A turnaround is a single bar(4 beat)phrase that leads you back into the main part(Chorus)of the song.It can also lead you to a change(bridge) depending on the song structure,but it almost always repeats itself coming out.Turnarounds can be 8 beats(2 bars). Rock&Roll Hoochie Coo uses an 8 beat turnaround before each chorus and the guitar solo.
Hope this helps

Re: turnarounds(correction)

I'd like to correct myself.In Rock&Roll Hoochie coo the turnarounds come before each VERSE and then the solo.

NORMAL >> VIBRATO: Fender amp inputs

Hello All -

My apologies in advance if this has been discussed on the list recently.

I've heard that the two input Fender tube amps (DeLuxe Reverb, Twin, etc.)
are designed so that you can run a guitar cable out from one of the NORMAL
inputs (plugging the instrument into the other NORMAL input) to one of the
inputs of the VIBRATO channel. Is this true? And if so, what effect does
this have on the amp? Does it mean you can use both the NORMAL and VIBRATO
knobs together to control the amp's sound? Does it engage some sort of
pre-amp? My memory may be incorrect on this, but for some reason I seem
to remember hearing that Hendrix used to configure his Fenders this way.

Any guidance on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
D-Lux in Austin

silvertone price check

I need someone that really knows,what a silvertone flatop L579 is worth in dollars $$$$ please give me a buzz. Many thanks. Leo.

Re: silvertone price check

: I need someone that really knows,what a silvertone flatop L579 is worth in dollars $$$$ please give me a buzz. Many thanks. Leo. P.S. It may not be a L579 but it is tobacco brown,big round whole,black pick guard.ivory turn keys,six string,40 50 years old.

What head should I buy?

Im looking for an extremely loud and good sounding head and speaker for $800 or the nearest offer.I want a sort of bright distortion on the amp and some great clean reverb. I play a Fender Strat (Japanese) with a Boss Ds1 and Boss Chorus. Im looking at Marshall, Mesa Boogie and some others. So far , I love the Marshall, but does anyone own a good head and speaker (s) ? Please give me your views.

Backing Tracks

any 1 nkow where i can find some tracks that i can download?

Re: Backing Tracks

: any 1 nkow where i can find some tracks that i can download?

I have the same question any MIDIs

chords & bar

I would like you to show me the real chord's for got the life song please

Need Help With The Music Business?

This book will help you to understand the basics of the music business
by giving you the information to start and run an independent record
label. The ground work for copyrights,contracts,independent record promotion and
distribution are also covered. At the back of the book is a start-up
checklist to guide you along the way!!!

Release your own independent CD with this information!

Order your copy direct from the author for only $21.75 (shipping included).

For more info and the order form email:

Jamsmith@bellsouth.net

Marshall head question

I have a JMP head that is 100 watts. I am trying hard to figure out what year it is from.
On the back it reads "Master Volume 100 Watt Lead"
and the serial number is 06364J.

I am wondering how to price something like this as well, because I am looking to possibly sell it. It has been hot rodded (2 of the 4 jacks taken out) and a fan has been installed in it. What do you think the going rate would be?

Please email any help you could send my way... watershipdown@kc.rr.com.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Greg

another Marshall ? and an Electro-Harmonix question

I also have a JCM 800 slant faced cabinet. It just says "lead series" on the label. I'm trying to figure out the year of this as well.

Also, does anyone know of a good cheap place to find an Electro-Harmonix guitar micro synth pedal? We have a Musician's Friend outlet store by my house where I can get it for 220 bucks, but I'm not sure if it's damaged or not.

Thanks again.

Greg

Re: another Marshall ? and an Electro-Harmonix question

: I also have a JCM 800 slant faced cabinet. It just says "lead series" on the label. I'm trying to figure out the year of this as well.

: Also, does anyone know of a good cheap place to find an Electro-Harmonix guitar micro synth pedal? We have a Musician's Friend outlet store by my house where I can get it for 220 bucks, but I'm not sure if it's damaged or not.

: Thanks again.

: Greg

WHY DON'T YOU TRY CRAPSTER THEY TAKE SHIT FROM EVERYONE AND GIVE IT OUT FOR FREE!!!! MAYBE YOU'LL FIND THE PEICE OF CRAP MARSHALL!! AND MAYBE EVEN THE HARMONIX PEDAL!!!!!!!!! GET A LIFE AND BY REAL AMPS AND PEDALS LIKE MESA BOOGIE AMPS AND BOSS PEDALS FUCK HEAD!!!!!!! METALLICA RULES ALL OF THERE SONGS KICK ASS INCLUDING THERE NEW SHIT.

NAPSTER BADDDDDDDDDDD

"CRAPSTER" SUCKS AND THE KID THAT MADE NAPSTER CAN SUCK MY DICK!!!!

chorus

Do you know exactly what is the amazing chorus used by Joe Satriani on "surf with the alien" tracks #2 and #4? PLEASE tell me, I'm searching for years and years. Since now I thank you !

Re: get your head out of your ass, Brandon

I love it, I love it, I love it...

not going against greg, because that was the funniest response to date. Marshalls and Mesa's both kick ass although Marshall is a little lower quality. Boss and Electro Harmonix are also BOTH good, remember...Metallica may use Boss but Korn uses Electro Harmonix and so DID Kurt Cobain...those are 2 (two) bands that will over-power Metallica by far for the future... PEACE!

check out creeper lagoon

their new CD is coming out and they rule. www.creeperlagoon.com is the link to the site.

also, anything by Kill Creek. www.killcreek.com
You will thank me later.

:)

Greg

Suite "In modo polonico" A. Tansman

If any one has information on this piece I would be very greatful to hear about it.
Was it meant to be performed as a whole for instance?

Re: Suite

I have a version with Segovia performing

-very nice

: If any one has information on this piece I would be very greatful to hear about it.
: Was it meant to be performed as a whole for instance?

Midi Board BOSS FC-50

i bought a boss fc-50 midi board and i search a documentation because when i bought it, there is no one !! if you have one, (english or french (i'am french :-) )can you mail-me
Thanks

Re: Midi Board BOSS FC-50

: i bought a boss fc-50 midi board and i search a documentation because when i bought it, there is no one !! if you have one, (english or french (i'am french :-) )can you mail-me
: Thanks

I too just purchased this board, hoping to connect it to my GT-5. I haven't found too much yet, but if anyone has anything, please let me know!!

Thanks!

: i bought a boss fc-50 midi board and i search a documentation because when i bought it, there is no one !! if you have one, (english or french (i'am french :-) )can you mail-me
: Thanks

So do I. I'm searching it too? (t'en a trouvé un? ça m'interesse aussi)
Please mail me!

Fender Telecaster

greetings from ireland!!!
i'm looking to get a new american made telecaster. the best price i can get for one in ireland is £890IEP, which is about $950....not very nice, but i've a brother in wisconsin and he said he'd get me one there, so i was wondering what would be a good price to pay for one, with flight case and all.....also the colour i'd like is midnight purple, just in case anyone has one for sale.
thanks
paul

Fender Telecaster!

Hi there!
My name is Chris, and I am from Denmark. Recently I´ve bought a Fender Telecaster 62 RI from San Fransisco (not correct spelled) which was through ebay.com -an online auction web-page. I got it to a very low price, and I will guarantee that you can make a good deal too. So check it out!

Chris Hayes!

bass tab

can anyone send me the bass tab for big wrecks "that song"?

Re: bass tab

: can anyone send me the bass tab for big wrecks "that song"?

Hello Rob

I can help you.. the best bet is to contact me with exactly what you want. I would also need a copy of the song that you want transcribed. You can contact me via http://www.improvise.com.au/phil.asp

Regards

Phil Hoffman

The 12-Tone Super Strat

Hello friends,
I have plans for the 12-Tone Super Strat (Dan Armstrong) but i do not understan all diagrams, who can help me. I think to buy a Squier and make this upgrade.
Which are the best pickups I can buy for this upgrade?
Thaanks.
Alberto Valverde

-PLEASE Help me with my ZOOM 9000 =-

When I turn my ZOOM 9000 on it just displays '9000'
I don't get sound nor the options in the LCD screeen.
What's the problem and how can I fix it?

Re: -PLEASE Help me with my ZOOM 9000 =-

it's a 9000's common trouble :P

open it and localize the hole signed tp2; short it for a second (sometime need to repeat many times).

This "shock" worked on mine 9000. seems a kind of reset..

: When I turn my ZOOM 9000 on it just displays '9000'
: I don't get sound nor the options in the LCD screeen.
: What's the problem and how can I fix it?

How can I get the gloss back ?

Hi !
I'm a norwegian guitarplayer. I have a Gibson ES-335. What can I use to get the gloss back on the chrome parts; pickups, tuners, bridge.
Tobben Alfsen
From the cold north

Re: How can I get the gloss back ?

hey
I'd try a light dab of Silvo? don't know if you get it over there. You should be able to find a good polish in the local hardware store. Or if your really keen you could take them off and get them re-plated, its not all that expensive here atleast, But i don't know how that would effect your guitars value
good luck
Phil

Shadows\Zoom GFX 707

Shadows\Zoom GFX 707

This popular thread has been given its own page : Shadows\Zoom GFX 707

RS Guitars

Hi Everyone,
As a big fan of the Red Special I would like to say that the RS guitars are superb. I have build to Red Special's to sate and I know a lot about the guitar, I think the the RS Classic is absolutley brilliant in looks and quality, the shape of the guitar is awesome and is so right. Also the quality of the guitar looks absolutley stunning. I cant really comment on the because I have never heard one but from what I have been reading on the website I think it should sound very close to the original because it has Burns Tri-Sonics fitted and also the on-off and phase switches. These guitars are much better than the Guild's and Greco's. Anyone who needs any information on the red Special please do not hesitate to E-mail me. Well done, cheers,

Martin Smith

make THOUSaNDS with 6 bucks

NOW I know you've probably read this message, or one similar to it, before and thought,"
Yeah right! What a scam!". So did I, but I gave it a try, and while I didn't make the
"$42,000.00 in 4 weeks" the original author claims to have, I have made $19,
236.00 in a month and a half! It really DOES work, so why not give it a try? After all,
6 bucks ain't that much to risk. I'm sure you'll be very happy! Good Luck!! HOW TO
READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE! IT DOES WORK!

TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND:

I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. A little while back, I was
browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now, and came across an article
similar to this that said you could make thousands of dollars within weeks with only
an initial investment of $6.00! So I thought, "Yeah right, this must be a scam", but
like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading. Anyway, it said that you send $1.00
to each of the 6 names and address stated in the article. You then place your own
name and address in the bottom of the list at #6, and post the article in at least 200
newsgroups. (There are thousands) No catch, that was it. So after thinking it over,
and talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured: "what have I got
to lose except 6 stamps and $6.00, right?" Then I invested the measly $6.00. Well
GUESS WHAT!?... within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! I was shocked! I
figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I
made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I had made a total of over
$1,000.00! In the third week I had over $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now
my fourth week and I have made a total of just over $42,000.00 and it's still coming
in rapidly. It's certainly worth $6.00, and 6 stamps, I have spent more than that on
the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and most importantly, WHY it works... Also,
make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of
it as you need it. I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will
start making more money than you thought possible by doing something so easy!
Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or download it.) Follow
the simple directions and watch the money come in!
It's easy. It's legal. And, your investment is only $6.00 (Plus postage)

IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and it is 99% no
risk - it really works!
If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive extraordinary
dividends.

PLEASE NOTE: Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can
be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty
and integrity of the participants. Please continue its success by carefully adhering to
the instructions.
You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In this business your product is
not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the business of developing Mailing
Lists. Many large corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists. However,
the money made from the mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made
from people like you and me asking to be included in that list.
Here are the 3 easy steps to success:

STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each piece of
paper "PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST." Now get 6 US $1.00 bills and
place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of paper so the bill will not be seen through
the envelope (to prevent thievery). Next, place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes
and seal them. You should now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of
paper stating the above phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you
are doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are requesting a
legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a little skeptical
and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S.
Post Office (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is indeed legal. Mail the 6
envelopes to the following addresses:
#1) Virju Patel
5814 Aloha Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46815

#2) D. Miller
3400 Red Lion Rd. Apt 29B
Philadelphia, PA 19114

#3) Debra Gibbs
9307 Florence Drive
Sturtevant, Wi 53177

#4) MARC LEVITT
9330 NW 10TH ST.
PLANTATION, FL 33322

#5) Joe Maher
19 Milano Place
San Rafael, CA 94901

#6) Robert Boyett
Box 8804 ASU Station
San Angelo, TX 76909

STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the other
names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as number 6 on
the list.

STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as close to
original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at least 200 newsgroups. (I
think there are close to 24,000 groups) All you need is 200, but remember, the more
you post, the more money you make! You won't get very much unless you post like
crazy. : )
This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18 Sec. 1302 & 1341 of
the Postal lottery laws. Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you
need money, you can use it again, and again.

PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the honesty
and integrity of the participants and by their carefully adhering to the directions.
Look at it this way. If you are of integrity, the program will continue and the money
that so many others have received will come your way.
NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you, either on a
computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you
are truly providing a service. (Also, it might be a good idea to wrap the $1 bill in dark
paper to reduce the risk of mail theft.)
So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members
will be reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one dollar each.
Your name will move up the list geometrically so that when your name reaches the
#1 position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH!!! What an
opportunity for only $6.00 ($1.00 for each of the first six people listed above) Send it
now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!

---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------

Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own posting. Simply
put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of
this document, and select 'copy' from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter
into the computer's memory.

Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your
cursor at the top of the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will
paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the list.

Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your postings in
different settings, you'll always have this file to go back to.

Step 4) Use Netscape or
Internet explorer and try searching for various newsgroups (on-line forums, message
boards, chat sites, discussions.)

Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this
article as a new message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste
from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that everyone sees as
they scroll through the list of postings in a particular group, click the post message
button. You're done with your first one!

Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to
do is jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will
take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup! **REMEMBER, THE MORE
NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE! BUT YOU
HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! You will begin receiving money
from around the world within days!!!

home recording

I am a singer, songwriter, guitarist. I have been in many bands and have recorded in studios,but I never really got in to the technical end of recording. I would like someone to tell me in simple, basic terms, where I start to record using my PC. I have Guitars and amps I recently purchased a fender passport. I do not have a bass or drums or keybords. Can I simulate them and how? please help me get started.

necessary info for home recording!!!

wow, that is a big question. I have been recordign at home on a p.c. for about 2 years now, and I think I am really starting to come around with it. It really is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it is typically a very big investment. First, you need some kind of multitracking digital recording program, there are tons to choose from. Sound forge, Cool Edit Pro, Vegas, Cubase, Logic...the list goes on. You can find those at any decent music store, or purchase them on the internet. Bad news...most of them cost 200-800 dollars. Good news, you can often download free versions over the 'net which work for simple recording purposes. I know there is a free version of ACID pro at www.sonicfoundry.com
it only gives you 8 tracks to work with, but if you mix them down a bunch you can keep going. I am currently using Cool Edit Pro, which i just love. you can get that at www.syntrillium.com
The next thing you need is a cd burner, to put your music on. I use a mixing board to run all mics into the computer. Mostly this is for drums, but you will probably need one for vocal or guitar mics *unless* (and this is a dirty little secret) you want to use the little gooseneck microphone that came with your computer. if you don't have one, you can get them for 7-10 bucks at damn near anywhwere, even wal-mart has them. They are excellent condensers, great for vocals and acoustic guitar. Just make sure the input source is not too loud for those little mics, cause they are SUPER sensitive. They can pick up breathing, and pick scratches on guitar strings, etc... To simulate drums and bass, your easiest bet is to buy a drum machine. As I am a drummer/bassist/guitarist, I play all those instruments myself and own them, so I don't know anything about drum machines, other than you can simulate drums and bass on them. That should get you started - home recording takes a lot of trial and error, but it is the coolest thing in the world once you have it all figured out. If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me at mcee2@hotmail.com. good luck!

Re: necessary info for home recording!!!

: wow, that is a big question. I have been recordign at home on a p.c. for about 2 years now, and I think I am really starting to come around with it. It really is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it is typically a very big investment. First, you need some kind of multitracking digital recording program, there are tons to choose from. Sound forge, Cool Edit Pro, Vegas, Cubase, Logic...the list goes on. You can find those at any decent music store, or purchase them on the internet. Bad news...most of them cost 200-800 dollars. Good news, you can often download free versions over the 'net which work for simple recording purposes. I know there is a free version of ACID pro at www.sonicfoundry.com
: it only gives you 8 tracks to work with, but if you mix them down a bunch you can keep going. I am currently using Cool Edit Pro, which i just love. you can get that at www.syntrillium.com
: The next thing you need is a cd burner, to put your music on. I use a mixing board to run all mics into the computer. Mostly this is for drums, but you will probably need one for vocal or guitar mics *unless* (and this is a dirty little secret) you want to use the little gooseneck microphone that came with your computer. if you don't have one, you can get them for 7-10 bucks at damn near anywhwere, even wal-mart has them. They are excellent condensers, great for vocals and acoustic guitar. Just make sure the input source is not too loud for those little mics, cause they are SUPER sensitive. They can pick up breathing, and pick scratches on guitar strings, etc... To simulate drums and bass, your easiest bet is to buy a drum machine. As I am a drummer/bassist/guitarist, I play all those instruments myself and own them, so I don't know anything about drum machines, other than you can simulate drums and bass on them. That should get you started - home recording takes a lot of trial and error, but it is the coolest thing in the world once you have it all figured out. If you have any specific questions, feel free to e-mail me at mcee2@hotmail.com. good luck!

long time player-first time recorder.
i don't even know where to beging recording. i have tried to research over the net and all of the jargon is binding me down. all i want to do is put parts down to cd. i know how to run a drum machine, but how do i get it all to my pc then to cd. WHAT DO I NEED! it seems like there are too many products out there to make a concious decision. HELP!

Metallica setting for my Boss MetalZone

I really need a good Metallica setting for my Boss MetalZone

Re: Metallica setting for my Boss MetalZone

well, your best bet is to get a new pedal - a danelectro fab tone. that is the perfect pedal for metallica. otherwise, I would turn the distortion up to 10, bass on 10, mids on 2, treble on 7 or 8. Metal Zones are a bit crispy sounding in my opinion, though. Also, take into consideration your amp and guitar. That is probably more important than the pedal settings. You won't get a practice amp to sound like a marshall stack under any circumstances. I don't know what you are playing through, so it is hard to say. I hope your guitar has humbuckers too, that is necessary. All the advice i can really give you is gain on 10, scoop those mids.

orange gro 100

orange gro 100

This popular thread has been given its own page : orange gro 100

Tune-o-matic bridge

To Rick B.- Thanks very much for the valuable information and advice.

Re: Tune-o-matic bridge

Anytime. If you have any more questions, just ask.
-Rick

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.