Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - October, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

vitto is around or not around

I being a great canuck of a guitarist here in regina where I ,m held highest of esteem of all the great music I came up with and written most of the 80,s stuff were made legendary now especially the stuff I had re-done and performed live during the garage band wars right up til present! so now also going on the road with my eldest daughter anastacia for the next leg of my bands done tour then on the road again for this legendary canuck guitarist well hope to c-ya at our shoes!!!!!!!

time to play

how can any of you people actually find time to play the guitar, you are all on here night and day saying "please help, my guitar wont work" or "how can i get better on the guitar" or even "hey, anyone want to check out my website and listen to me play, cos im bigheaded and dont know what modest means". Well, i have a bit of advice, go and play your guitar more and, one day, you might be half as good as me, but you will never be as good, because i am the god of guitar !!!!. love Bob

Re: time to play

Speaking of "modest", you must be the master of this.
I've heard you talk some talk before, now its time to "Walk the Walk". Lets see and hear how good you really are. Let us mere mortal guitar players hear you play. A website download would be nice, but who's to say that its really you playing.
Oh yea, I can back up my stuff, I just don't brag about it. If anyone wants to hear a sample, simply reply to this post. Or at least get my attention some how.

Re: time to play

i would love to hear you play. At last you can let people know how good you are, but ! you will be crap compared to me. I have recorded things playing with my feet, and i will still be better than you (right now you will be saying "ill show him, im better, faster and more melodic than him, at last, my chance to show how great i am at playing in the bedroom". You talk the talk, you walk the walk. love Bob

Chonkyfire

does anyone know the tab for chonkyfire by outkast

Re: Chonkyfire

: does anyone know the tab for chonkyfire by outkast

I was looking for this too. if anyone knows it, or any Outkast songs please send them or post them. thanks

Chonkyfire

does anyone know the tab for chonkyfire by outkast

Semi-Hollow Guitars??

Im in the market for a semi-hollow body guitar...I wanted to know if anyone had a suggestions, (preferably mid range price) thanks
Swazooo

Beginners acoustic guitar recommendations needed please !!!

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to buy my husband an acoustic guitar for Christmas as it's something I know he would love to play, but he hasn't gotten around to buying one.

He's an acoustic guitar novice, but has played bass guitar (musicman)for a number of years so isn't a total guitar novice.

What would recommend for him ?.

I have been told a Fender DG4 would be good, but I don't want something he would "grow out of" too quickly - do you think this wouls be likely ?.

I thought I'd ask you guys as a friend recommended this site to me.

Thanks in advance !

L x

Re: Beginners acoustic guitar recommendations needed please !!!

Fender aren't famous for their acoustic guitars and to be quite honest they are poor by any standard. You need to look for a guitar with a 'solid top' at least. An all laminated guitar will sound ...crap. Laminated sides and back are okay. Just make sure you get that SOLID top. As your husband isn't a total guitar novice don't waste 100 pounds ( are you in the UK ? ) when spending a little more will be worth it's weight in gold.
Look at Washburns in the 150 - 200 pound range if you're looking for something with that little extra. They are very well made , sound great and are easy to play. If you REALLY want to make him happy, buy him a Taylor Big Baby for around 300 pounds. I guarantee he'll love it as it IS the best budget acoustic guitar on the market. He won't need another acoustic ever again if you buy that one. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Unforunately the Big Baby is out of my price range - I was thinking more about £150ish !. Having looked into this more it seems that the Washburn D10 sounds like a pretty good buy. I've got a couple of good shop recommendations to try out in London - now all I've got to do is bribe my friend with beers to come and play some guitars in my price range and see how they feel/sound !!.

Thanks !

L x

Mick had a lot of good info for you.....but I will disagree that the Fenders are all crap.....my 1st was a nice solid top fender that only cost $200 but that was over ten years ago.......and I still play it regularly and is my camping/travel guitar...and I still love it even though Ive acquired many nice ones since then....the smartest thing you could do is to take a player with you to get a better perspective....and by all means if you can find a Taylor dealer, check out the "big baby" Taylor....like Mick said.....its the best bang for the buck....well made....sturdy.....not flashy...but great action.....and you want something easy to learn on....and if he really gets into playing he can always get anothter down the road...but he will always have a great backup/travel/camping guitar....just remember all guitars that look alike dont feel the same....you need a friend to play it and compare....good luck

I have just re-started my hobby of playing the guitar again. I'm 45 - did a lot of research and without any hesitation what-so-ever the Taylor Big Baby is incredible. I just bought one today for around $350.00 and I had an incredible guitarist friend of mine help me with my decision. I played the Big Baby first to see if I liked the "feel" and sound of the guitar. It is an extremely light guitar since the sides and back are made of veneer but the sound, especially the bass is the equivalent of the sound (if not better) than a guitar 3 times the price I paid. My guitar friend was totally impressed with the Taylor Big Baby also and he said there is no way that this guitar should be so priced so low. Heck, he loved the sound so much that he bought one himself and he has high priced Martins. He made the Big Baby do things that only a pro could do and he said that this was by far the best sounding guitar in anything near that price range. I love it ... my fingers are sore since I just can't put it down. The bass is great, chords are great - an incredible product.

Framus Nashville bassguitar

Framus Nashville bassguitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Framus Nashville bassguitar

Anyone heard of Apo or Appo...something like that?

i was given an acoustic. when i took it to get it repaired to a playable condition he said it was an early seventies Apo. don't know how it's spelt. anyway, its italian. any help appreciated, cos I've never heard of em.

Re: Anyone heard of Apo or Appo...something like that?

Are you sure he didn't say EKO ? It's just that I've never heard of Apo and " EKO " is an Italian brand.

ive heard of eko. he didn't say that it was definitely apo. he recognised it immediately as one. although what one is i do not know. anyway, whatever it is i've got one. thanks anyway.
xxxxxxxxxxx

if it helps, it has a second resonator board. I'm restoring it, putting a humbucker and chrome hardware on and refinishing it in metallic purple.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy

Popa Chubby's songs

Hello !
Can you send me the lyrics of these Popa Chubby's songs :
1. Dance the night away
2. Laya what ya tryn

And if you have the drums parts, that's would be cool too ;o)

Bye all, and thanks for all ;o)
J-Louis

Re: Popa Chubby's songs

Hello there.
I need to download "the same old bles" by popa chubby but I don't know where to find it.
Does anybody help me?
Max

Yamaha Sbg 200 Electric Guitar

Yamaha Sbg 200 Electric Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha Sbg 200 Electric Guitar

Does the name Mike Varney mean anything to you ?

Well? Any thoughts?

Re: Does the name Mike Varney mean anything to you ?

he is responsible for discovering some great guitarists, notably, greg howe, who is my favorite guitarist. He actually is a very good guitarist himself

Re: Shrapnel Records

Yea, Greg Howe can play pretty well. I have that album "High Gear". Just thinking about those "old" days,
I remember Fender STRAT's. They didn't last too long did they....(production wise) they just kinda died out.
I think Yngwie Malmsteen was one of Mikes first "discovery's".
A band I really like from Shrapnel, and miss hearing is.... Apocrypha.
Finally, a decent guitar conversation!

do you like becker and freidman ? (sorry if the spelling is wrong) where are you based, im in north east of england. i have some home recordings of stuff have you ?, maybe you could let me here some of your playing. tom

well im a guitar player of argentina im 23 years old well im writing for ask you to please just list mi guitar playing i think i play in a cross of bettencourt /kotzen/gilbert thing... but you got the ultimate words in mi country there is no place for guitar virtuosos for that im ask for mi oportunity...
thanx ( and sorry for mi bad english) please if you wanna listen to me just mail me and i send a mp3

Mi name is Aleksandar and i'm from Yugoslavia same country Borislav Mitic is.I tried to get in touch with shrapnel records but server keep's telling me that your e-mail is not valid.I play guitar for about 15 years and i have lot's of my music that i recorded in my home studio(i played all instruments and i record it)The reason im concakting you is following:in my country instrumental music is ranking very low not just instrumentals but all quality music.People listen folk songs and folk singers(like in the villages)and not to mention that standard of life is in the very low level(no money)I would like to share my music with rest of the world and people who can help me to record it proper.

Sorry about my english.
Sincerley yours

Aleksandar Novakovic
Yugoslavia

Yea, Greg Howe can play pretty well. I have that album "High Gear". Just thinking about those "old" days,
I remember Fender STRAT's. They didn't last too long did they....(production wise) they just kinda died out.
I think Yngwie Malmsteen was one of Mikes first "discovery's".
A band I really like from Shrapnel, and miss hearing is.... Apocrypha.
Finally, a decent guitar conversation!

yea, they were the good old days, pointy guitars and thousands of streaming notes.a friend of mine still buls instrumental rock albums by the truckload, where i have not bothered as much. I still listen to gregg,holdsworth,vai and the like,it sure pisses all over the new stuff out there. ps, i play,do you ?, i have a starfield with a seymour duncan holdsworth pick up, a pod 2, and a tech 21 combo.let me know "o" shred brother. tom. pps, have you checked out guitar9.com

: yea, they were the good old days, pointy guitars and thousands of streaming notes.a friend of mine still buls instrumental rock albums by the truckload, where i have not bothered as much. I still listen to gregg,holdsworth,vai and the like,it sure pisses all over the new stuff out there. ps, i play,do you ?, i have a starfield with a seymour duncan holdsworth pick up, a pod 2, and a tech 21 combo.let me know "o" shred brother. tom. pps, have you checked out guitar9.com

I did not write the previous post.. OOPS...
This is my rely to the Mike Varney issue... Yes the name means alot to me, he was a good friend of mine in the 1980's and I lost contact with him when I did alot of moving, and I sure would love to find again. I miss our long talks, and I have always wondered how he is doing, and how his wife Carol is as well. So if you read this Mike, it is Desiree in Houston, please find me at the above e-mail, or if you just know Mike, and you read this, pass my message and my e-mail address too, please!!! It has been too long, and I have so many great things to share with him..
Thanks,
Desiree

I'm still fudrucking and you better believe it's true and my fudrucker is so happily fudrucking it isn't even funny I play the guitar like a bandit too so you'd betetter look out IM FUDRUCKING OH MY GOD I'[M FUDRUCKINHG HOLY BANANAS AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I AM A GREAT FUDRUCKER

: he is responsible for discovering some great guitarists, notably, greg howe, who is my favorite guitarist. He actually is a very good guitarist himself

Yes....the name Mike Varney means something. Shred metal...discovery / promotion of some of the most technical guitarists on the planet...uhm...shrapnel records...Big permed hairstyles....pointy guitars...oh yeah, and he nearly drove poor old Ritchie Kotzen into the nuthouse..

Re: I saw Mike Last Night 12-1-2004

At The Sonoma County Blues Society - Santa Rosa, Ca.

Mostly that he can make even Michael Schenker sound like a garden-variety small-time shredder wannabe.

Software Tip

The is a special category of software on SMM that you
might not have really noticed called RADIO PRODUCTION
which is for online and traditional radio broadcasting
for beginners through to professionals.

Here you will find software to let you set up your
own online radio station quickly and easily to promote
your music or just transmit your ideas to the world
at large.

If you are involved in traditional radio you will also
find software for all sorts of radio tasks like broadcast
automation, broadcast logging, playing jingles, playing
samples on cue, simulating cart machines and loads more.

Check it out at
<a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/RADIO_PRODUCTION/" target="_top">http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/RADIO_PRODUCTION/</a>

What's up with Laney amps?

I just started hearing about Laney amps, are they that good. I like the sound of a small fender practice amp, or the sound of a 100 watt Marshall pushing mild distortion at high volume. Does laney compare? What do they do?------------Dave

Re: What's up with Laney amps?

I have always loved Fender amps, and Marshall as well as some others. However, I bought a Laney amp this year and I am not disapointed at all!
I play blues, but my son is into alternative rock, and we can both set the amp to get the tones and flavor we like. The model I bought has 2 12s and 100 watts
with a built in effects channel plus a tube over drive circut that really kicks butt ! If you haven't checked these babies out, you owe it to yourself to do so.

My Marshall combo is collecting dust these days, and will likely serve as a stand or a cabinet if I keep using the Laney -- it sounds that good.

Check out my web site at :

http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars/

for guitar set up and maintenance tips.

Later, Bill

I've got a Laney Pro-Tube 50 combo with one 12" speaker
made by McKenzie The amp has an ohm dial on the back
and I'm not sure whether it should be set to 4, 8, or 16.
Probably not 16 but not sure whether it should be 4 or 8
as I am not technically inclined. Any info would be
appreiciated.

Thanks
Johnny

What model is it? I'm looking for a new amp to replace my Fender 80 wat. How much did it cost? I was looking at a model around 1.4 grand (Australian), I can't remember which one, but it sound's quite a lot like a Vox AC30.

They're good amps. Company started in mid-60s. Their non-master-volume amps up to
about '73 are excellent: sound a bit like Marshalls of that era. Company went downhill for a
while, but they're back making all valve beasties now. Check out the VC-30 or the LC-30
(Vox like 2x12" combo). Their stacks are pretty good too. Tony Iommi uses one (a signature
model). Look at their website (Laneyamps.com or something) and then check out the
reviews of the models you're interested in on Harmony Central.

I havet aproblem,i need some old amp.but i dont havet a money.I play harp with my band"CROSSROAD BLUES BAND"
I'm from Macedonia and i can find some amps.
Please help me and write me.
Aleksandar

: I just started hearing about Laney amps, are they that good. I like the sound of a small fender practice amp, or the sound of a 100 watt Marshall pushing mild distortion at high volume. Does laney compare? What do they do?------------Dave

Well Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath uses Laney so if you want that sound go for it, personally I love his tone and I am all for Laney's as I feel Marshall's are overated. Sunn's sound sound a lot like aLaney but there cheaper and solid state.

I had an original Supergroup 100w head back in the early 70's and it honestly blew away any Marshall. It had a thicker tone when set like a Marshall, but tweak the treble and it sounds the same, with a TON of grunt.During the mid to late 70's they went through some quality control problems, (the Laney/Klipp era) but they've got it totally back on track these days. They must be the most amazingly under rated amps on the market, especially in the states. The new ones are incredibly good! Don't pass up the deals right now on used ones, they go cheap, and they are fantastic value. They do everything a Marshall can do, and much more.
Mick

Julian Bream and Maria Farantouri

I have been looking for a specific album by Maria Farantouri called "Seven Songs" for many years. On this album she is accompanied by Julian Bream on the guitar. Maria is a Greek singer better known for her Theodorakis' performances. Has anybody heard about this album. Any idea where I can get hold of it?

Re: Julian Bream and Maria Farantouri

: I have been looking for a specific album by Maria Farantouri called "Seven Songs" for many years. On this album she is accompanied by Julian Bream on the guitar. Maria is a Greek singer better known for her Theodorakis' performances. Has anybody heard about this album. Any idea where I can get hold of it?

Am afraid it is a recording of John Williams playing with her, not Julian Bream. Good record.

Re: Julian Bream and Maria Farantouri

It is not a Bream-Farantouri cd, but a John Williams-M.Farantouri cd. Recorded in London in 1972. It's really good. It was reissued 4 years ago by SONY in Greece.
: I have been looking for a specific album by Maria Farantouri called "Seven Songs" for many years. On this album she is accompanied by Julian Bream on the guitar. Maria is a Greek singer better known for her Theodorakis' performances. Has anybody heard about this album. Any idea where I can get hold of it?

Gibson RD !!!

Hi. I´m looking for a Gibson RD !..all of interest !
Best TJ

Re: Gibson RD !!!

: Hi. I´m looking for a Gibson RD !..all of interest !
: Best TJ
Hello i am Tony to and i have a 79 rd artist sunburst.email me for more info.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.