Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2002

Advertisement

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

has anybody ever heard of a kent 540 s guitar

has anybody ever heard of a kent 540 s guitar? are they any good my brother just bought one at a garage sale with a kent amp for ten dollars. just wondering if there any good. its in really nice condition

Re: has anybody ever heard of a kent 540 s guitar

Don't know about the 540, do you have a pic ??, all I know was that kent was a 'distribution' co. that imported asian made guitars in the 60's, Hagstrom produced some guitars for kent also... so if it's a "Hagstrom Kent" in good condition it might be worth something... I've seen a couple old kent tube amps from the 50's and they sounded good, so if it's in good condition and you like it you can't go wrong for $10... post a pic if you can.

has anybody ever heard of a kent 540 s guitar? are they any good my brother just bought one at a garage sale with a kent amp for ten dollars. just wondering if there any good. its in really nice condition

starfield guitars, are they worth much

starfield guitars, are they worth much

This popular thread has been given its own page : starfield guitars, are they worth much

Wammy Bar

I`m a new guitarist and i don`t know how 2 use a wamy bar.Can somebody tell me how?Thanx

Re: Wammy Bar

Well you just push/pull on it

: I`m a new guitarist and i don`t know how 2 use a wamy bar.Can somebody tell me how?Thanx

12-string strings; and pick-up;any other maintenance advice?

I just got fairly decent 12-string.I saw something on another site that mentioned the rod may need to be adjusted,depending on string size. I don't want to adjust,so I guess I should get light strings.Will 6-string pick-up(seymour-duncan acoustic tube)work for 12

Re: 12-string strings; and pick-up;any other maintenance advice?

Put on the strings you like, you probally won't have to adjust the rod, but if you do have to it's pretty easy to do... putting on heavier strings you usually just have to turn it clockwise a little to tighten and take bow out (and bring action down)... go slow and easy though.... and the pickup will 'work' on a 12 string, I use a perfect timbre on mine and it sounds pretty decent, I find the tube kinda weak and too 'electric' for my taste... but hey, thats me... it's a good pickup.

: I just got fairly decent 12-string.I saw something on another site that mentioned the rod may need to be adjusted,depending on string size. I don't want to adjust,so I guess I should get light strings.Will 6-string pick-up(seymour-duncan acoustic tube)work for 12

JB Player 12 string acoustic and other topics

I just received my JBP50212 and it sounds great.Has anyone heard of JBP?I have a '76 Ovation(sounds better than any acoustic I've had,for all you snobbish purists).I also have a $1500 strat.I just purchased a cheap E-series Epi Basher LP,I guess I got lucky because I like the tone,action,overall sound just as much(if not better than strat).The only thing I did was put chrome covers over open humbuckers and like the sound better.It is after all, the sound that matters,right?

Need help determining my silvertone's year

Can anyone help? I recently bought a Silvertone guit. archtop f-hole with L-6132 in one hole and 57-614 in the other. Can anyone tell me what year it's from? or anything else about it?

Re: Need help determining my silvertone's year

I had a Silvertone archtop f-hole back in the late 50's. Sunburst finish. Do you have a photo?
: Can anyone help? I recently bought a Silvertone guit. archtop f-hole with L-6132 in one hole and 57-614 in the other. Can anyone tell me what year it's from? or anything else about it?

what are my guitars worth?

what are my guitars worth?

This popular thread has been given its own page : what are my guitars worth?

I need saddle blocks

I lost a saddle block on my fender squire. I tried to get one from a authorized fender dealer(Schmitt Music) It has been 4 months, and still no saddle block for the floyd rose tremelo system! Is there any way I can order a set of saddle blocks directly, so I can avoid the middle man and the delays!

ej tab needed

Who has tab for INTRO SONG from G3
video by EJ ?

Free Jam Tracks

http://www.guitaristforum.com/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get/guitarist.html

The Guitarist Forum has a large repository of free jam tracks available. This is a non-commercial site run by and for guitrists. Good BBS as well.

Hohner Telecaster Professional "The Prinz" (www.rockfunk.de)

Hohner Telecaster Professional "The Prinz" (<a href=www.rockfunk.de)">

This popular thread has been given its own page : Hohner Telecaster Professional "The Prinz" (www.rockfunk.de)

Les Paul Standard (Epiphone)

Replacing pick-ups with Dimarzios...which would be the best combination for a drier/crisper/cooler/crunchier tone?

I've been thinking to put the Evolution in the bridge position (or possibly tone zone) with a PAF PRO (or possibly AIR NORTON or FRED) in the neck position.

Re: Les Paul Standard (Epiphone)

I have a Les Paul Custom (EPIPHONE) and I also thought replacing the pickups with Tone Zone and Air Norton; were can I find an audio sample?

50's Deluxe amp

I have a 50's Narrow Panel Deluxe Amp. It has a tweed cabinate.
Model# 5E3
Serial# DO0686 or DOO686 Can't tell for sure.
(hand written)
Also it has the "Fender" name tag on front, NOT the longer "Fender Deluxe" tag
Can anyone help me in identifing the year?
Thanks Gary O.

Re: 50's Deluxe amp

'53 or '54

: I have a 50's Narrow Panel Deluxe Amp. It has a tweed cabinate.
: Model# 5E3
: Serial# DO0686 or DOO686 Can't tell for sure.
: (hand written)
: Also it has the "Fender" name tag on front, NOT the longer "Fender Deluxe" tag
: Can anyone help me in identifing the year?
: Thanks Gary O.

help me please

I need to know what this guitar I have is worth. It is a Tokai TST 62' Vintage series. It has the old style round head and serial # is 16812. I have looked all over the place and cannot find one that looks like the Tokai looks it looks like 7okai. Please help msslore@hotmail.com

Re: help me please

Copy and paste this in the address bar up there, I think it'll help.
Dairn

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Tokai+TST+62%27+Vintage+&btnG=Google+Search

I looking for someone can write and sing(Male or Female

I don't really care I need some with writing experince and talent, not posting fake messages to me? All Im looking for is some In Iowa, or Des Monies, or out town to Email me their picture not fake one!

Re: I looking for someone can write and sing(Male or Female

i just want someone to write something sweet for me to say to a girl i like.

I wanna know who began open tuning?

Was it old blues masters like Robert Johnson?
or did nashville invent it?
are they 2 seperarte issues
i am confused from references to keith richard's "learning" open string tuning from Gram Parsons
i always thought he picked up this method from listening to blues reocrds
can somebody clarify this for me please???

Re: I wanna know who began open tuning?

:Angel,
1st sorry about my original incorrect posting, I'm just a first time responder.
Open tuning has its origins at least with the Hawwaiins of the 1700 to 1900 period. They were influenced by spanish and south american sailors who used the islands as first an R&R port and eventually a commercial venture. During the "latin-spanish" influences the Hawaiins learned to play "some" guitar, adn later the Ukelele. The open tuning(s) are said to have really been a necessity of invention such that the tuning(s) better blended with their wonderful singing voices, adn that these tunings better melded with the rhythms of the ocean. There must be 20 different tunings if not more. During the turn of the century (1900) the tunings were becoming more readily heard in the US. By the twenties, lap steals were copying the tunings and it was off and running: Western swing steal guitar, blues, etc. These tunings allow solo guitar with the ability to provide simultaneous rhythm and base if the player is accomplished. G-tuning is a pretty easy one of the many to learn. From low to high: D G D G B D. I play Hawaiin tunes, country, blues, flamenco, jazz and about any easy listening top 40 tune in this tuning. Again, what makes this one a versatile tuning is its forgiveness with melody, rhythm and base. It works for slide as well as fingerstyle. I prefer fingerstyle. There is more about this topic, but maybe you would like to investigate it yourself on the web, keyword slack-key guitar. Oh yeah, both Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed made a killing off this tuning. Enjoy!
Gary
:

Re: I wanna know who began open tuning?

: :Angel,
: 1st sorry about my original incorrect posting, I'm just a first time responder.
: Open tuning has its origins at least with the Hawwaiins of the 1700 to 1900 period. They were influenced by spanish and south american sailors who used the islands as first an R&R port and eventually a commercial venture. During the "latin-spanish" influences the Hawaiins learned to play "some" guitar, adn later the Ukelele. The open tuning(s) are said to have really been a necessity of invention such that the tuning(s) better blended with their wonderful singing voices, adn that these tunings better melded with the rhythms of the ocean. There must be 20 different tunings if not more. During the turn of the century (1900) the tunings were becoming more readily heard in the US. By the twenties, lap steals were copying the tunings and it was off and running: Western swing steal guitar, blues, etc. These tunings allow solo guitar with the ability to provide simultaneous rhythm and base if the player is accomplished. G-tuning is a pretty easy one of the many to learn. From low to high: D G D G B D. I play Hawaiin tunes, country, blues, flamenco, jazz and about any easy listening top 40 tune in this tuning. Again, what makes this one a versatile tuning is its forgiveness with melody, rhythm and base. It works for slide as well as fingerstyle. I prefer fingerstyle. There is more about this topic, but maybe you would like to investigate it yourself on the web, keyword slack-key guitar. Oh yeah, both Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed made a killing off this tuning. Enjoy!
: Gary
: :
I read an article in a magazine talking about the wahine tuning being a "masculine" tuning. What are the other Hawaiian tunings and does anyone know their meaning is in English.

Thanks. WAL (England)

JCM800 Effect loop

I'm having a noise when i use the effect loop on my JCM800 50Watts head. Does any1 knows if the loop is really good on JCM800 or if it's possible to modify it ??? thanks in advance.

Re: JCM800 Effect loop

hmmm,what are you running through the loop?Amp's with effect loop's do have more pre-amp valve's than non effect's loop amp's it could be that.If you still have problems i've got a '94 just serviced jcm900 100w that I would swap for your amp

How to play "Ska"?

How to play "Ska"?

This popular thread has been given its own page : How to play "Ska"?

guitar magazines

what's a good guitar magazine out there? i'm looking for one to subscribe to. i wanna learn the more technical aspects of electrical guitars, ie. tuners, amps, etc. so maybe a mag that focuses more on that.

Re: guitar magazines

I bought a couple Guitar Techniques issues, and they really teach you well. It's expensive, but you have lots of info, reviews, the tabs and a cd with the song with guitar and another track without the guitar so you can play over it.

Blink 182 sound

I'm looking for the sound or a similar sound of blink 182 or greenday on my BOSS Ds-1 distortion pedal (help me please!!)

Blink 182 sound

I'm looking for the sound or a similar sound of blink 182 or greenday on my BOSS Ds-1 distortion pedal (help me please!!)

Violin bow on electric guitars

Thanx to all who answered my previous question about using a violin bow. I know that Jimmy page may or may not of been the godfather of the bow. I also enjoy Jeff Martin's take on the bow. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips tricks, or techniques on the matter. So Jeff or Jimmy if you are reading this drop me a line.

Re: Violin bow on electric guitars

http://www.sigur-ros.com/
This band uses bows on Gibsons...

: Thanx to all who answered my previous question about using a violin bow. I know that Jimmy page may or may not of been the godfather of the bow. I also enjoy Jeff Martin's take on the bow. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips tricks, or techniques on the matter. So Jeff or Jimmy if you are reading this drop me a line.

does anyone know what effect does jonny buckland from coldplay uses in their song Amsterdam wich is kind of a violin effect but he uses some weird little box in his hand that has a blue light that he approaches to the string and then the guitar starts playing alone and he only place the chords ....?? its like he's using some kind of bow on his guitar but he isn't so pls anyone that can tell me about that i would really appreciate it.

does anyone know what effect does jonny buckland from coldplay uses in their song Amsterdam wich is kind of a violin effect but he uses some weird little box in his hand that has a blue light that he approaches to the string and then the guitar starts playing alone and he only place the chords ....?? its like he's using some kind of bow on his guitar but he isn't so pls anyone that can tell me about that i would really appreciate it.

its called an ebow
www.ebow.com

need blink 182 sound

It's me again and I'm looking for the sound that blink 182 or green day uses

Should I sell out and join a covers band?

Hi guys

I've been playing originals for several years and the bands I've been in have gone nowhere. We got a few regular gigs, but things ebbed away and we ended up doing the same sets to pretty much the same people. For the most part, the money we made covered our expenses and allowed us to do a couple of recording sessions.

Anyway, I was recently offered an opportunity to play in a covers band. I'm not sure if I really want to play top40 and classic rock, but the pay I'm being offered means I can do part-time work instead of 9to5.

Am I a bit of a sell out if I dump my originals, leave the band I'm in and play covers? I think this is the only chance I'm going to get to try and make a living from playing.

Todd

Re: Should I sell out and join a covers band?

Give it a try Todd. If the money is OK, I'd say give it a try. I've been earnig a living from playing the guitar for a few decades now, and if I've learned one thing, it's take the work when it comes your way. I can't begin to describe some of the odd musical situations I've wound up in, but you learn something new from all of them. If the players are good and the groove is there, take the gig.

Kirk

NEAL MOSER is it rare guitar?

i recently picked up a NEAL MOSER guitar.(he was one
of the former guitar builders for wayne charvel back
in the mid eighties.)its black with clouds and lightning bolts.i was told there were very few of these
around because lack of a serial no.which meant it was a
personal played only and usally not sold on the market.
the quality of these guitars from reviews are supposed
to be the best in the world.this a smoken playing guitar and never seems to go out of with its factory floyd rose.has anybody heard or seen these guitars?
please let me know !thanks alot PAUL.

Re: NEAL MOSER is it rare guitar?

I own a Neal Moser. I'll get into the praises in a second. The scoop on Neal is this: Neal was part of the amazing guitar-building scene of Southern California that started in the late '70s, had its heyday in the '80s, and continues with much less fanfare today. Neal was part of the same scene that included the more well-known electric guitar builders such as Wayne Charvel and Bernie Rico. Neal was actually more closely involved with Bernie than Wayne. Neal was actually employed by BC Rich and was the man who designed the Active and Full Active electronics BC Rich was famous for. Neal eventually hooked up with another amazing luthier named Lee Garver. They started a company called GMW (makers of the Empire line of guitars which were finalists two years in a row at Harmony Central's Golden Axe Award) . Neal apparently has very little to do with building guitars these days. I go see Lee a couple times a year for tune-ups. If you or anyone is in the Southern California area and would like to have a guitar hand made for you (f**k PRS and Gibson) I can't recommend highly enough a trip to Glendora, CA. You can visit GMW at http://www.gmwguitars.com to get an peek at the Empires and at the custom repair work Lee does.

My Moser is my pride and joy. I've been playing for about 25 years and have owned Les Pauls, Paul Reed Smiths, ESPs, Jacksons, BC Rich, etc. I have never had a better playing, better sounding instrument in my hands. My Moser has great tone and sustain when it's not plugged in! And gorgeous?! I love going into Sam Ash or Mars Music on a busy Friday or Saturday and poppin' the case and draggin' out my axe in front of all the jaded counter jockeys and watching their eyes water and their tongues wag.

Hang on to that Moser!! There are only a few hundred in existence.

: I own a Neal Moser. I'll get into the praises in a second. The scoop on Neal is this: Neal was part of the amazing guitar-building scene of Southern California that started in the late '70s, had its heyday in the '80s, and continues with much less fanfare today. Neal was part of the same scene that included the more well-known electric guitar builders such as Wayne Charvel and Bernie Rico. Neal was actually more closely involved with Bernie than Wayne. Neal was actually employed by BC Rich and was the man who designed the Active and Full Active electronics BC Rich was famous for. Neal eventually hooked up with another amazing luthier named Lee Garver. They started a company called GMW (makers of the Empire line of guitars which were finalists two years in a row at Harmony Central's Golden Axe Award) . Neal apparently has very little to do with building guitars these days. I go see Lee a couple times a year for tune-ups. If you or anyone is in the Southern California area and would like to have a guitar hand made for you (f**k PRS and Gibson) I can't recommend highly enough a trip to Glendora, CA. You can visit GMW at http://www.gmwguitars.com to get an peek at the Empires and at the custom repair work Lee does.

: My Moser is my pride and joy. I've been playing for about 25 years and have owned Les Pauls, Paul Reed Smiths, ESPs, Jacksons, BC Rich, etc. I have never had a better playing, better sounding instrument in my hands. My Moser has great tone and sustain when it's not plugged in! And gorgeous?! I love going into Sam Ash or Mars Music on a busy Friday or Saturday and poppin' the case and draggin' out my axe in front of all the jaded counter jockeys and watching their eyes water and their tongues wag.

: Hang on to that Moser!! There are only a few hundred in existence.

All Moser and GMW guitars are rare. They're all custom made and I still do all the fret and bone work. If you want a costom guitar made by my own two hands all you have to do is email me. I still do repair work and custom building. Just to set the record straight, I worked with Bernie Rico from 1974 to 1985 and I designed the Rich Bich and the Virgin and all that crazy electronics. Wayne Charvel was a consultant at BC for about a year while I was there. He helped Bernie put together the bolt on neck guitar dept. Wayne is one of the nicest guys I've ever known and we are close friends to this day.
Missinformation abounds on the internet and I'm slowly trying to cure the problem. The problem is, there are only two people left that were at BC Rich 8 hours a day 5 days a week between the years 1974 and 1985 and I am one of them. The other one is Mal Stich who managed BC for almost 10 years. Mal and I are in the process of writing a book on the subject at this moment.
Anyone with questions can email me.
Neal, I'm still the M in GMW Moser

I guess the email address might help.
nmoser@attbi.com

Hi Paul, I've just started asking the same question. I bought a Moser painted by Dan Lawrence(#31 on the graphic list at GMWguitars.com)13 years ago and never knew what it was. I remeber the day I bought it, there was another one with the lightning bolts right beside mine. All I knew was that the guitar was amazing in every possible way. Mine has seymour duncan pickups, ebony fetboard, schaller trem, gotoh heads. Back then I paid just under $2000 canadian for it and I almost sold it a few months ago for $1000 because I didn't know what it was. Thanks to the internet and the few of us out there that own Mosers I realize how close I came to making a huge mistake.
Enjoy it! One day they will be worth alot more money.

THE COLOR GREEN TABS (TCG)

anybody have any tabs for the color green?

Have been looking for them for ages too...

: anybody have any tabs for the color green?

Re: THE COLOR GREEN TABS (TCG)

found two at this site: www.colourgreen.topcities.com
still looking for more. if anyone has them please let me know as they are my favourite band, thanx

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.