Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: How old is this guitar and what is it worth?

I have a Montana Model #M18-WN. Made in Korea by Kaman Music Corporation. Serial #803589. 6 string acoustic.
Dark brown body and neck. I also have a chipboard case.
Any information would be appreciated. thank you

Re: How old is this guitar and what is it worth?

:I was given a Montana Guitar made in Korea from the Kaman Music Company. The serial # is 155335. What is the year and what is it worth?

whos the best

who is the best: Angus Young or Ritchie Blackmore

Re: whos the best

: who is the best: Angus Young or Ritchie Blackmore

Angus Young Hands down

westbury les paul

Are westbury les paul copies any good?

punk sounds with line 6 spyder

Hey everyone,
i have gotten into punk music recently, and i have been messing round and i cant find a good sounding one from bands like green day. thanks.'
cheers
brad

Re: punk sounds with line 6 spyder

Go to the line 6 website... there are patches for green day and most other bands, or links to patch sites.... and I find changing cab parameter helps (like "modern high gain #2' w/line 6 2x12 cab, these are off a FTII though).

: Hey everyone,
: i have gotten into punk music recently, and i have been messing round and i cant find a good sounding one from bands like green day. thanks.'
: cheers
: brad

Where are they located?

ya i am pretty lame i kno.......but where are these patchs located i looked around the site a bit but i couldnt find them. im not to good with this kind of stuff so could u point me in the right direction?

Re: Where are they located?

No problem... you'll get used to it... thie discussion/transfer libs are under "the lup" menu item at: http://www.line6.com/Main/The_LUP/the_lup.cfm

: ya i am pretty lame i kno.......but where are these patchs located i looked around the site a bit but i couldnt find them. im not to good with this kind of stuff so could u point me in the right direction?

: Go to the line 6 website... there are patches for green day and most other bands, or links to patch sites.... and I find changing cab parameter helps (like "modern high gain #2' w/line 6 2x12 cab, these are off a FTII though).

:
: : Hey everyone,
: : i have gotten into punk music recently, and i have been messing round and i cant find a good sounding one from bands like green day. thanks.'
: : cheers
: : brad

Just for your reference, Green Day are not a punk band.
They're a group of pop stars who, apparently after watching to many James Dean movies, think acting rebellious will make them more appealing to the large underground music scene, which would in turn boost they're record sales. If you want to listen to real "punk" music check out Rancid, AFI, Dropkick Murphys, Operation Ivy, Propaghandi, the Distillers, the Vandals, ect.

Back to your initial question: If you want to get a good sounding setup that works for just about ANY style of play, hook youself up with a 30 watt amp (doesnt have to be a great one), a fuzz pedal, a chorus, a flanger, and a reveb pedal. I sing lead vocals and play "support guitar" in my band, and that simple little setup is very versatile. (Yes, it works very well for punk.)

I agree green day is just "skateboard pop" (and your explanation of them), and coming up from the punk scene over 20 years ago the term punk is used very loosely today, more to describe a style than an attitude/lifestyle... but hey who cares, guess green day could be considered punk against nsync and stuff like that... and the fact is they are successful... very successful... so you gotta give anyone credit for that, even if you don't like what they are... they made it, when you do most will say the same about you.

The guy is lucky he has a spyder already, alot more than others have/can afford starting out and way more versitale than any 30 watt amp out there (even w/pedals and all)... Now is the learning curve to figure it out... I've been using FT-II Heads and amps for over 3 years and like them alot, I'am not a fan of downloading a patch for anything to sound like someone else but the ability to save a 'sound' you have come up for later reference I find invaluable... just store it on the PC w/notes.. you can't beat it when you do alot of recording.... ever find that great tone at 3am after closing when totally wasted and the next day just can't 'get it' ???

So the point was (after typing all that crap), I was gonna put my green day 'comment' in the original post, but figured this was a place to help people out... so I just put the info I thought would do that... and snickered to myself.

So lets just get along... long .. stick :)

:
: Just for your reference, Green Day are not a punk band.
: They're a group of pop stars who, apparently after watching to many James Dean movies, think acting rebellious will make them more appealing to the large underground music scene, which would in turn boost they're record sales. If you want to listen to real "punk" music check out Rancid, AFI, Dropkick Murphys, Operation Ivy, Propaghandi, the Distillers, the Vandals, ect.

: Back to your initial question: If you want to get a good sounding setup that works for just about ANY style of play, hook youself up with a 30 watt amp (doesnt have to be a great one), a fuzz pedal, a chorus, a flanger, and a reveb pedal. I sing lead vocals and play "support guitar" in my band, and that simple little setup is very versatile. (Yes, it works very well for punk.)

: I agree green day is just "skateboard pop" (and your explanation of them), and coming up from the punk scene over 20 years ago the term punk is used very loosely today, more to describe a style than an attitude/lifestyle... but hey who cares, guess green day could be considered punk against nsync and stuff like that... and the fact is they are successful... very successful... so you gotta give anyone credit for that, even if you don't like what they are... they made it, when you do most will say the same about you.

: The guy is lucky he has a spyder already, alot more than others have/can afford starting out and way more versitale than any 30 watt amp out there (even w/pedals and all)... Now is the learning curve to figure it out... I've been using FT-II Heads and amps for over 3 years and like them alot, I'am not a fan of downloading a patch for anything to sound like someone else but the ability to save a 'sound' you have come up for later reference I find invaluable... just store it on the PC w/notes.. you can't beat it when you do alot of recording.... ever find that great tone at 3am after closing when totally wasted and the next day just can't 'get it' ???

: So the point was (after typing all that crap), I was gonna put my green day 'comment' in the original post, but figured this was a place to help people out... so I just put the info I thought would do that... and snickered to myself.

: So lets just get along... long .. stick :)

Hey, it's cool that a band like like Green Day can make something their own (well, sort of their own) and have it sell. I would never trash that. But, my problem with them, and most other bands who try it, is that they try to sell themselves as somthing they're not. They're a power pop trio, and I dig that, but they try to pass themselves off on MTV as a 'punk' band. That gives people the wrong idea about what the music, and culture as whole, are. THAT is my problem with bands like Blink 182, Green Day, NFG, and others.

About the equipment I descibed. When we play a gig, which is hard for a band with that has members under 18, I find that using a lower amp has distinct advantages. First of all, you can put the volume up around 7 and then mic the amp, so the audience gets a better mix of vocals and instruments. And with the pedals, that always boils down to personal preference, but I find the setup I described follows that important life motto (Keep It Simple Stupid) and allows for great versatility.

No way in hell will Green Day or any of those other bands mentioned ever be punk. Punk is used way to loosely nowadays and its bullshit. Real punk still exists but is an endangered species. Such punk bands that are new nowadays are The Casualties, The Unseen, Clit 45, Toxic Narcotic, Caustic Christ, Aus Rotten, A Global Threat, The Exploited, The Adicts, Total Chaos, and the list goes on and on forever. So those other bands are completely pop bullshit and should die for trying to call themselves punk

small combo amps

I'm looking around to buy a small combo amp, about 30w.I know amps/guitars come down to personal preferencies but I'd like anyone's opinion on what's good and what's not!

Re: small combo amps

Marshall AVT 20 or 50. Theses are amazing, I've got the 50 and it's the best amp I've EVER owned.

I don't know where Mick is comming from but in my opinion every Marshall combo I've tried is crap. They are decent if you're going to play with the distortion or clean tone, but once you start adding external effects (pedals, racks, floor units) it goes to hell. I think they're always muddy and have much interference- as if one is not getting a direct signal from one's guitar. Marshall combos (like all other Marshalls) sell mostly because they the Marshall name on them- most of the buyers are unwitting of other options. Plus, Marshalls are overpriced.

It's going to depends upon YOUR ears most importantly, of course. What do you play? How long have you played?
I assume you'll be using the amp exclusively for use at home. What's your budget?

Check out Peavey [Envoy II, Blazer II, Rage II]. Laney also makes decent amps and Yamaha too. There are many brands to choose from.

Don't forget to check out the user reviews at http://www.harmonycentral.com. 99% of all guitars and guitar related products are listed there with reviews...
Oh, yeah, Crate makes durable little amps too.

Good Luck!

: Marshall AVT 20 or 50. Theses are amazing, I've got the 50 and it's the best amp I've EVER owned.

You're for real, right? Oh God. There are really people out there who STILL fail to see the light. Peavey? Good? You are really away with the mixer, buddy.

marshall are crap are they ?, well, i wish i was a tone expert like you, and then i would know the "HOLY GRAIL" of amps are peavey. you are crap !!!, like your amp. love Bob

Simpleton, working class fucks on a trip to exercise power on the net, because they have absolutely

Well, if either of you had any interest in helping that guy instead of hanging around this board for the sole purpose of feeling your blood rush to your cock every time you can contradict what someone says with your trite and witless guitar-knowledge, then you would have defended your statements in addition to helping the orginator of this post make a decision.

Once again I'll repeat: MARSHALL COMBOS ARE SHIT. MARSHALL TOPS ARE, OFTEN, VERY GOOD.

Re: Simpleton, working class fucks on a trip to exercise power on the net, because they have absolut

You should really consider a career with a guitar magazine. As their shit-boy.

Marshalls suck... plain and simple wannabe, it is obvious you are not anywhere near the level of TONE expert that I am... so just keep your hands in your lap, eyes closed, and your lame ass mouth shut... and dream about being me.

: marshall are crap are they ?, well, i wish i was a tone expert like you, and then i would know the "HOLY GRAIL" of amps are peavey. you are crap !!!, like your amp. love Bob

Vox Valvetronix! Switchable from 1, 14, 30, and 60 stero watts. It kicks butt.
reviews;
http://www.guitarist.co.uk/print.asp?ID=1685&type=rev
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Vox/AD60VT_Valvetronix_112_Combo-01.html

Hi(^^/ I like Marshall small combo Series.
Since I am actually playing, please make it reference.
G10-mk2 VS-15 etc.
http://www.koniro.net/note/

Try a Tech 21 Trademark 60.

Washburn Prairie Custom

Anybody know anything about this guitar?

Great Article on Mastering by Jeff Murphy

Thought I would share this great article on Mastering by Artist/Producer Jeff Murphy. Here is the link:
http://www.geargenie.com/articles/jeff_murphy_051602[2].html

I can't decide about my first electric guitar

I am going to buy my first electric guitar and i can't decide between Epiphone SG special and Yamaha RGX121 for about same amount of money, can anyone help?
P.S. Other suggestions r also welcome.

Re: I can't decide about my first electric guitar

Epiphone pick ups can be a let down. The often squeal at high volume. The guitars themselves are well made. I would say, out of the 2 guitars, go for the yamaha. Great quality usually.

All I can suggest is just try em both (and others) and the one you like the best buy.

: I am going to buy my first electric guitar and i can't decide between Epiphone SG special and Yamaha RGX121 for about same amount of money, can anyone help?
: P.S. Other suggestions r also welcome.

I own several guitars in the over $1000 range. But I also own a $300 ESP. I don't have any problems with the ESP LTD. I also own a Samick, no probs there either. I'd recommend either of those.

im looking for a cheap Yamaha RGX121 electric guitar

I realy like the Yamaha RGX121 but i cant find it for a good price

im looking for a cheap Yamaha RGX121 electric guitar

I realy like the Yamaha RGX121 but i cant find it for a good price

Re: im looking for a cheap Yamaha RGX121 electric guitar

hkfu ikghk gh

yamaha 1221ms

I have a yamaha 1221ms metallic blue and I bought it for 200 dollars. Since the person didn't know too much about yamaha guitars he sold it for that little. If you are still wanting to sell your yamaha 1221, I know someone who wants it. If you can just send me some pictures via the internet to my email address, I can probably get him to pay $300 for it depending it he likes the color and condition. thanks

help me

I have an ibanez s470 floyd rose.I have no clue as of how to fix the bridge.Its all messed up.The guitar is so out of tune its horrble.Could someone tell me how to fix that?I brought it to the shop.They gave it back to me,and all they did was restring it.whats with that?thanks

Re: help me

Don't know why the shop wouldn't tune it too, but heres a site that explains a FR setup pretty good:

http://www.homeguitarrepair.com/tremolo/tremolo1.html

They can be frustrating to set up at first, but once you get the 'hang' of it, it's not hard at all.

: I have an ibanez s470 floyd rose.I have no clue as of how to fix the bridge.Its all messed up.The guitar is so out of tune its horrble.Could someone tell me how to fix that?I brought it to the shop.They gave it back to me,and all they did was restring it.whats with that?thanks

Re: help me

You may find the guidance you're looking for on my web site at:

http://members.shaw.ca/wilkatguitars/

Go to the "Guitar Tips" section, and click on the articles for whammy bars.

Shops often have an in-house guy to do simple stuff, but they should have done more than just put new strings on
(like setting the intonnation, and the action). Seek out a local luthier if you still have problems later.

Good luck,
Bill

F349 Takamine Acoustic 1979

The seller says it is rare. Mahongany, Made in Japan. Excellent Condition. Priced at $480. Martin headstock Anyone want to help me make a decision to buy? I need assistance. Possibly a Father's Day gift. Please respond asap.

Recherche valeur ARIA Pro II Super Twin ( 4 / 6 )

Recherche valeur ARIA Pro II Super Twin ( 4 / 6 )

This popular thread has been given its own page : Recherche valeur ARIA Pro II Super Twin ( 4 / 6 )

Hot Stack pickups

Does anyone have these pickups on their guitar?
If so, I'd like to have comments on them cause I want to put 2 of these at middle and neck of my strat. to go with my hotrail at bridge.

Re: Hot Stack pickups

If you want a nice traditional clean tone, you're better off with the Vintage Stacks

WTS Gibson J185

t is a 1954 Gibson J-185 w/serial number A16590 in very good original condition with the exception of strings which have been replaced. There are no cracks nor
have there been any repairs to the instument. Some minor scratches and nics from playing wear. Also some minor chips to the finish on the tuner area of the of the
back of the peghead. There is also some minor play wear to the finish surrounding the sound hole. The original bill of sale dated back in 1955 accompanies the guitar
as does a fibre case. Pictures available upon request.

My father-in-law solicited my assistance in selling the guitar for his dear friend's widow. She was not left with a great deal of resources in the estate settlement, but
managed to show this guitar to my father-in-law. After some initial inquiries, we have determined that this particular guitar has a good desirability rating and would
like to pursue different avenues of selling it and maximizing the return for her.

Would anyone consider offering me your thoughts on how we may locate the right buyer for this instrument? We are both volunteering our time and effort to assist this
widow and would appreciate any insight that you may have regarding this matter. Thank you for taking the time to review this information.

Strat Plus Locking tuners

Strat Plus Locking tuners

This popular thread has been given its own page : Strat Plus Locking tuners

Hohner Arbor Series 85'

How much is my 85 Hohner arbor series worth?

Re: Hohner Arbor Series 85'

: How much is my 85 Hohner arbor series worth?
And the prices

Hamer 922716

ich werde dankbar sein wen jemant kann mir sagen was habe ich fuer hamer, oder schickt mir mail,oder web von diese firma.danke

Line 6 210 Does any one own it???

Hey People I was wondering if any of you have the Line6 210??? If so is it a good amp??? Is it worth buying???

Groove tubes solo 75 - 4 or 16 ohms?

I have a Groove Tubes 75 combo with two speaker outlets and an ohm selector switch. When connecting two 8 ohm speakers to this amp - do I get 4, 8 or 16 ohm? (is it series or paralell?)

Regards,
Espen

Re: Groove tubes solo 75 - 4 or 16 ohms?

Usually speaker outlets are parallel, so you get 4 ohms. If you ever want to sell this amp, send me a mail.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.