Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2004

Archive for posts from September, 2004

ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

1954 Teisco guitar

I was just wondering what the value might be

Giannini Craviola Classical

Looking to purchase an older, excellent instrument - please no Jay Turser laminate tops.

Thanks

Re: Giannini Craviola Classical I have a Classical model 6N Serial # J-397 The guitar is in nee

: Looking to purchase an older, excellent instrument - please no Jay Turser laminate tops.

: Thanks

dad's guitar

My dad bought that spray monday pookster. We sprayed it out like you said to and it works like new now. Today we went to the music store and he told the man who said it couldn't be fixed what we done. Dad told him too that we know what kind of guitar it is and why he wanted it. The man got mad and had to go all of the suden. Anyway, we just wanted to let you know that it works great now and your help is greatly apreciated.

Thanks again.

Gibson ES300

My grandfather left me a guitar when he passed it is a Gibson ES300 it has a # A-5080 inside it has been sitting in my bedroom for years it has a few cigerette burns (pap liked to smoke while he played) I have never gotten around to learning to play and I am now 38 and don't figure I ever will. Can anyone tell me how much it might be worth? I realize I would probably have to take it to a dealer in person to get an exact figure but was just trying to get an idea.
Thanks

gibson les paul junior

HI CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YEAR THIS LES PAUL JUNIOR I HAVE IS..SERIAL NUMBER..0 7774...IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY SISTER IT BELONGED TO MY LATE BROTHER IN LAW HE WAS THE ORIGINAL OWNER...MY SISTER TOLD ME IT WAS A 1959..BUT IM NOT SURE..IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANK YOU

Re: gibson les paul junior

Somewhere along in 1953, when solid body guitars began, Gibson started to ink-stamp the ID numbers on the back of the headstock. They were 5 or 6 digit numbers and the first number designates the last digit of the year it was made. The rest of the numbers are production numbers and run in consecutive order. They used this system until 1961.

The number you list is, 0 7774. This would mean it was made in 1960 and was the 7,774th one in production.

: HI CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YEAR THIS LES PAUL JUNIOR I HAVE IS..SERIAL NUMBER..0 7774...IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY SISTER IT BELONGED TO MY LATE BROTHER IN LAW HE WAS THE ORIGINAL OWNER...MY SISTER TOLD ME IT WAS A 1959..BUT IM NOT SURE..IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANK YOU

Re: gibson les paul junior

The solid body guitars made before this time in 1953 have 3 digit nos. on the headstock top.

: HI CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YEAR THIS LES PAUL JUNIOR I HAVE IS..SERIAL NUMBER..0 7774...IT WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY SISTER IT BELONGED TO MY LATE BROTHER IN LAW HE WAS THE ORIGINAL OWNER...MY SISTER TOLD ME IT WAS A 1959..BUT IM NOT SURE..IF YOU CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE GREATFUL...THANK YOU

I NEED PEDAL BOARD HELP

HI i just built a pedal board im running a rotovibe,crybaby,yngwie malmsteen dod od pedal a tubescreamer and a compressor. powered by a signalflex dc adaptor when i switch on the yngwie pedal the hum is INSANE and i noticed when i have the effects hooked up it screws the natural tone of my amp up its a hot rod deluxe...please please help the hum is crazy

Re: I NEED PEDAL BOARD HELP

Possible solutions: Make sure your power supply is regulated ( I don't know about signalflex ) and provides enough amperage. Total up the amperage of the pedals and compare with the power adaptor rating.
Make up a patch lead that has the earth disconnected at one of the plugs, and try it on the input or output of the yngwie. Too many earth points cause an "earth loop" which acts like an aerial picking up interference from transformers etc.
Have your power supply (and amp) at a distance from the pedals, and don't run mains power leads near signal leads. Use high quality leads.
Most distortion pedals are noisy, and compression makes it worse. If it's just as noisy running on batteries, the problem is harder to fix. A good techie can quieten some pedals down by upgrading the capacitors. If the noise is in the pedals themselves it usually wouldn't sound like hum, more like surf. Pedals sure can screw your amp tone. You might consider having true bypass mods done on the pedals.

strats and telecasters

what is the difference between strats and telecasters?

Re: strats and telecasters

Telecasters are more of a country guitar as they have a cleaner sound and Strats are more for rock. This is not definite though, it depends on the personal choice of the player.

: what is the difference between strats and telecasters?

pookster, which one do you prefer?

: : what is the difference between strats and telecasters?

That depends on what I'm going to play. If it is a straight up country sound, the Telecaster. If it is a soft-medium rock sound I may use either, the mood of the song and chords used would decide which. Hard rock or metal, the Strat. I have one of each and use both, again depending on the venue I'm playing. Some times the Tele delivers what I'm looking for even though the sound is hard rock because of it's tonal qualities and vice-versa. I have done a lot of tweaking to them so they will perform to my needs.

: pookster, which one do you prefer?

: : : what is the difference between strats and telecasters?

wouldnt you say the strat is better for the softer side of rock? certainly a great blues guitar, and it too has its place in country sound, same goes for the telecaster, they both have their unmistakable sound and qualities, but hard rock/ heavy rock? surely thats where the Gibson comes in, humbucker pick ups driving a valve amp, thats heavy/hard rock.

:Yes, I would and I agree, but to a point though. When invited to play with a band, I ask for a copy of the set list they will be using and what their guitarist will be playing. If it's for hire at a studio, I ask for a little back ground info on the type of music to be played, what guitars are being used and the person I'm playing for. Then I will select the guitars to take with me. This way my sound can be distinguished from the others and I'll have a better idea of what is expected of me. You are right, Gibson's are great guitars for heavy/hard rock, I have several. Personally, I don't want to sound just like the other guitarist, or any other guitarist for that matter. Nor do I want to sound better than any of them. I only want to lend my ability, style and sound to what's being played for the sake of the music. Besides, it's all about the music, so diversity and the ability to adapt to what's needed is paramount.

wouldnt you say the strat is better for the softer side of rock? certainly a great blues guitar, and it too has its place in country sound, same goes for the telecaster, they both have their unmistakable sound and qualities, but hard rock/ heavy rock? surely thats where the Gibson comes in, humbucker pick ups driving a valve amp, thats heavy/hard rock.

Gibson Trini Lopez serial no.: year ??

I have a Gibson Trini Lopez serial no. 898131, but don't remember what year the guitar is. Is there anyway to find out if it is a 1965, 66, etc. guitar??
Thanks

Re: Gibson Trini Lopez serial no.: year ??

The Trini Lopez models, Standard and Deluxe, were manufactured from 1964 to 1971. Serial numbers between 897000 and 898999 were made in the year 1967.
The serial no. you give here shows it to be a '67.

: I have a Gibson Trini Lopez serial no. 898131, but don't remember what year the guitar is. Is there anyway to find out if it is a 1965, 66, etc. guitar??
: Thanks

Gibson L-6S gear

I'm looking for a six way selector switch for a Gibson L-6S guitar - serial # S1750636.

Or reasonable facsimile.

Hope to hear from someone!

Thanks - DD

epiphone pr715n

Ihave one of these and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. wood,years made, quality,etc.

vibrato

Despite playing a long time, I'm unable to master the various techniques for getting really nice vibrato. Any advice? Is there anywhere on the web with good advice on this?

Re: vibrato

A nice vibrato starts in the wrist.Some guys tend to push the string up and down using their elbow.Thats O.K...but I've found that by twisting your wrist left to right is much more expressive.I call it a waggle.
For deeper vibratos I just hold the note and pull the string DOWN/UP.
Don't rely on your bicepts...it's way too stiff.

It's difficult to verbaly describe the technique.Get some film footage on B.B. King or Albert Collins.B.B.'s soulful vibrato is what made him famous in the world of blues-men!
Hope this helps

Re: vibrato

Using too much pressure to fret the note will make it difficult to get good vibrato. The position of the left hand thumb is also important in providing a pivot point.

Handmade guitars

Many players over pay for quality guitars. There are small shops in the United States which are happy to create instruments of high quailty with great value points. Of course, Falk Guitars is one of them. See falk guitars in the GuitarSite.com Makers Database. Manufactured guitars are a general compromise between the practicality of production techinques and profit. Contrast that with the attention of quaility found in the handmade guitars and you will hear and feel the difference. More time and attention to the sound board produces better dynamics and greater playability.

Re: Handmade guitars

I agree. I recently purchased a Timothy McKnight acoustic that he made using the Martin D28 Pattern and I must say there is no comparison to The manufactured Martin D28. My McKnight guitar plays clean cand crisp all the way up the fretboard and has tremendous bass and sustain. Check out mcknightguitars.com

That's good. I'm happy to see other players that hold this value. I suppose the cost of the guitar was much less than that of the Martin.

Other players need to get the word about quality privately made brands to help support the McKnights and Falks of the world.

That's for the comments.

Dave

: I agree. I recently purchased a Timothy McKnight acoustic that he made using the Martin D28 Pattern and I must say there is no comparison to The manufactured Martin D28. My McKnight guitar plays clean cand crisp all the way up the fretboard and has tremendous bass and sustain. Check out mcknightguitars.com

If you are uncompromising on technique and not concerned with profit, how do you survive?

Zakk Wylde Epiphone Les Paul + EMG 81/85 + case for sale!

Hi there ...

I have a brand-new Zakk Wylde Signature Les Paul Custom (Epi) fitted with EMG 81 + 85 pickups, professionally set up to Zakk's specs and in a brand-new combination-locking Les Paul case up for grabs ...

My price is £600 (inc shipping) ... for photo's + more info, e-mail me at alcino80@yahoo.co.uk and I'll send them asap ...

Guitar RRP: £450 - £500
Case RRP: £70
EMG 81/85 RRP: £169
Setup Cost: £80

Like I said, I'll sell for £600 ...

Regards,

Ali (07989446425 if you'd prefer to phone)

ray charles (drown in your own tears)

will someone please email me the tabs and the cords for the ray charles ssong drown in your own tears.

1965 100% original sunburst stratocaster and case

1965 100% original sunburst stratocaster and case

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1965 100% original sunburst stratocaster and case

Buzzing AMP

I'm failry new to this electrified guitar business and recently bought a Vintage Les Paul Special (made by vintage, not the original 1959 - I'm not that rich) and a Roland Cube 30. Both sound great but I had a real problem with intermittent buzzing through the amp. This got very loud but went away if I touched any metal part of the guitar. Whenever I took them back to the shop they both sounded fine. I did manage to get some popping on another amp and the shop completely re-wired my guitar for me (all new apart from the pickups) free of charge. I got it back and it sounded great....until.....the buzz came back. I found out what was causing it.......it's the blasted dimmer switches in my house!!!! (a little embarrasing) I turn the lights on and it's buzz city. Turn them off and everything sounds great again. Should the amp be that sensative? Is this a problem with the amp or do I need to re-wire my house (or just play in the dark)?

Seriously, should the amp be that sensative? If not I'll take it back and get another (same amp, because it's fantastic) or is there any way I can ground the amp better?

Re: Buzzing AMP

We had the same type of problem where we practiced. When the AC/Heating unit would come on everything we had buzzed. The electrical outlets of the room we was in were not grounded. So, I bought a grounding rod from a hardware store and drove it in the ground outside the window. Then I got all new recepticals for the wall outlets and enough 12 gage soild wire to go from one plug to the other. I ran the wire from plug to plug along the base boards and trim. At the plug next to the window I drilled through the edge of the window sill and ran it to the grounding rod outside whitch grounded all the plugs in the room. This was a great improvement, however, there was still some interference at times. We noticed that when my brother, the bass player, would turn just right it would quit and if he turned the other way it would increase. I bought a shielding kit for his bass and installed it and that took care of the buzz problem completly.
If you know the ground is good in your room you may need to shield your guitar. The kits are not expensive and easy to do.

: I'm failry new to this electrified guitar business and recently bought a Vintage Les Paul Special (made by vintage, not the original 1959 - I'm not that rich) and a Roland Cube 30. Both sound great but I had a real problem with intermittent buzzing through the amp. This got very loud but went away if I touched any metal part of the guitar. Whenever I took them back to the shop they both sounded fine. I did manage to get some popping on another amp and the shop completely re-wired my guitar for me (all new apart from the pickups) free of charge. I got it back and it sounded great....until.....the buzz came back. I found out what was causing it.......it's the blasted dimmer switches in my house!!!! (a little embarrasing) I turn the lights on and it's buzz city. Turn them off and everything sounds great again. Should the amp be that sensative? Is this a problem with the amp or do I need to re-wire my house (or just play in the dark)?

: Seriously, should the amp be that sensative? If not I'll take it back and get another (same amp, because it's fantastic) or is there any way I can ground the amp better?

Thanks. I'll get the electrics checked out. the house is 1920's and I've no idea when it was last re-wired so it could well be earthed badly.

You might also try using Beldon sheilded cords for your guitar, they are slightly more expensive but work well. Another reason may be fluorescent lights, the ballast in some fluorescent lights creates buzzing. Last, there can also be some feedback occurring through the guitar and bass pickups. As you mentioned the wiring and the potentiometers on dimmers switches don't help.

I noticed in the manual it actually says dont use on the same circuit as "vairable lighting". I borrowed a marshall amp and a washburn guitar and it did the sasme thing so it's definately the electrics in my house rather than the amp.

Will a shielded lead actually stop this as it sounds like the interferance is coming through the power lead of the amp.

:Probably not, what you are more than likly hearing is called AC line noise and is usually caused by a faulty ground or earthing in the electrical wiring. Here is a simple test: If your amp has a three prong plug on it and the wall outlet is only a two prong type, then you need an adapter to plug it up, right? Ok on most adapters there is a metal loop or a wire with a metal clip on it, take a long enough wire to go from the wall outlet to a gas pipe or a water pipe, tie the wire tight to the pipe (a hose clamp or vicegrips is good here) and tie the other end to the plug adapter loop or wire. Pipes usually go into the ground at some point and this will make a temporary groung for the test. If the wall outlet is a three prong type and not grounded, connect the wire to the green screw on the back of the outlet. You will need to take the plug outlet out of the wall to do this, so be sure to turn off the electricity to that plug before removing the screws that hold it in the wall. If at all possible try to plug the amp into an outlet that is not on the same circuit as the lights, this is a problem with that kind of lighting. If you want to e-mail me I will explain in more detail how you can ground a few plugs and save some money on doing the whole house. okferrell@msn.com

I noticed in the manual it actually says dont use on the same circuit as "vairable lighting". I borrowed a marshall amp and a washburn guitar and it did the sasme thing so it's definately the electrics in my house rather than the amp.

: Will a shielded lead actually stop this as it sounds like the interferance is coming through the power lead of the amp.

i cant be bothered reading through all this, but have you tried taking the amp to a studio and plugging it in? or a friends house? at least you could rulle out the lighting/noisey AC outlet.

I live in the UK, we only have 3 pin plugs and 3 pin sockets. everything has to be earched by law (nanny state and all that). I phoned Roland UK today and they said it'll always happen if I have dimmer switches. They suggested looking on the internet for advice on shielding the guitar.

I also phoned a large music store in Portsmouth and when I explained the symptoms, the first thing he asked was if I had dimmer switches in the room. All he could suggest was getting a lamp!

Oh well......

: They suggested looking on the internet for advice on shielding the guitar.

:Shielding a guitar is very simple to do and the kits are relativly cheap. I belive I can walk you through it no problem. All the guitars I own are shielded and grounded (earthed). Guess I helped the makers of the kits earn a few buck.....lol. It's easy, really.

Can you suggest where to get the shielding kits from? I've looked (admittedly not very hard) and haven't seen any. I noticed the evening that I can actually get it to buzz without even having the guitar attached. If I turn on the amp without plugging in the guitar and then hold the lead anywhere near a light or a dimmer switch (within about 3 ft) I can get it to buzz quite loudly.

: www.carvin.com , has them for about $10.00, the shipping is $7.50.

digitech RP6 , anyone got a manual?

digitech RP6 , anyone got a manual?

This popular thread has been given its own page : digitech RP6 , anyone got a manual?

english

i want leatest hindi songs plese help me.

harmony guitars

I have a Harmony H7000NA guitar. The body looks to be ash, natural. Wondering if anyone have any information they could share.

Harmony guitar

Hi ! Well that is a coincidence, cos I have the same guitar, same number. Its a light-brown les paul model. I bought it in 1983 from someone nextdoor.
It was my first guitar and I loved it. Played NewWave and jazzy-pop. It has a unique sound. Never gonna sell it. It's one heavy guy though!

I found this site for information : http://harmony.demont.net/

Greetz from The Netherlands.

gibson hummingbird guitar

I have inherited a gibson hummingbird guitar would like to know the year it was manufactured and the value...serial # 427767

Re: gibson hummingbird guitar

Gibson .com has a poriton of their site devoted to serial numbers to aid in the year models were made. _ DF
: I have inherited a gibson hummingbird guitar would like to know the year it was manufactured and the value...serial # 427767

norma fg 6

I recently found a 3/4 size norma guitar and on the back of the head it indicates that it was made in Korea, but it also has FG 6 as well.....will someone please tell me about my guitar...I have no idea how old it is or anything!

Hohner ST Metal-S

Hi!!
Can anyone help me find a site where i can get the draw of the guitars circuit diagram?? Or does anyone have any information of this guitar it'd be great help
Thank you! (Send any help in e-mail please, thanks)

partitura de torre fuerte "altisimo señor"

partitura de torre fuerte "altisimo señor"

This popular thread has been given its own page : partitura de torre fuerte "altisimo señor"

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.