Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2004

Archive for posts from June, 2004

ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

1979 "The Strat"

This guitar is heavier than a Les Paul,is it the ebony fingerboard,the gold,type of wood-walnut?.I can't figure it out,but it cuts through the mix like nothing I've ever played in the last 40 years or so.Anybody out there got one of these,any thoughts?

Re: 1979 "The Strat"

My buddy rumours that he has one though its never been seen, i seeing this post, dont believe him because he said it was the lightest guitar hes ever seen, lighter than my 302 (extremely light) and seeing this im beleivin you over him because well, you have one and he doesnt, but his rumour matches yours and he says it plays like a monster, just not too good for sustain and distortion according to him. but i dont know ill ask to see his soon and if i get to try it out ill get back to you, otherwise, hes a liar. Trevor

: This guitar is heavier than a Les Paul,is it the ebony fingerboard,the gold,type of wood-walnut?.I can't figure it out,but it cuts through the mix like nothing I've ever played in the last 40 years or so.Anybody out there got one of these,any thoughts?

My brother had 2 "The Strat" guitars.

One white (matching headstock) fat neck, maple board - very light guitar. The other was mettalic green, rosewood board, probably 50% heavier than the white guitar, too heavy, but a much better guitar to play.

Yeah.I remember these from back in the day.Actually "The Strat" was issued around 1982,after the Anniversary series(1979) and the first Squires('80-'81).
If my memory is correct,most had brass nuts and the pickups had more windings.
Good Luck

Question for PowerHouse

What kind of guitar do you plan to put that setup in, im curious to know because ive never tried that setup and would like too see what people are puttin it in, thanks. Trevor

Re: Question for PowerHouse

: What kind of guitar do you plan to put that setup in, im curious to know because ive never tried that setup and would like too see what people are puttin it in, thanks. Trevor

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Not bad, not bad at all, ive played one before they are nice but i bought the schecter instead of that, i think that setup will go good with it, but if your goin for a good rhythm guitarist tone try some 81 60 combos im gettin those installed in my dad explorer tonight, hopefully itll sound good, i personally go for 81 81 actives, thats what is gettin installed in my schecter, good luck with that. Trevor

: : What kind of guitar do you plan to put that setup in, im curious to know because ive never tried that setup and would like too see what people are puttin it in, thanks. Trevor

:
: Epiphone Les Paul Standard

: Not bad, not bad at all, ive played one before they are nice but i bought the schecter instead of that, i think that setup will go good with it, but if your goin for a good rhythm guitarist tone try some 81 60 combos im gettin those installed in my dad explorer tonight, hopefully itll sound good, i personally go for 81 81 actives, thats what is gettin installed in my schecter, good luck with that. Trevor

Cool man...i was playing a ESP/LTD EC-1000 when i bought my LP, it has the active 81 set. Sounds nice, but i couldnt get a suitable clean tone out of it that i could get with the LP. They're awesome though.

my LTD 302 neck thru has a set of emg 81 actives and now so does my schecter and since i hardly use clean (metallica freak) and i play solos its perfect for me so i have no worries, fade to black, with flangte, clean tone and 81's is wild though, just sounds cool. Later Trevor

: : Not bad, not bad at all, ive played one before they are nice but i bought the schecter instead of that, i think that setup will go good with it, but if your goin for a good rhythm guitarist tone try some 81 60 combos im gettin those installed in my dad explorer tonight, hopefully itll sound good, i personally go for 81 81 actives, thats what is gettin installed in my schecter, good luck with that. Trevor

: Cool man...i was playing a ESP/LTD EC-1000 when i bought my LP, it has the active 81 set. Sounds nice, but i couldnt get a suitable clean tone out of it that i could get with the LP. They're awesome though.

How much....

How much would you pay for slightly used a Ibanez Destroyer: color (candy apple red)?

Re: How much....

my uncle bought mine for bout oh say 376 and it was used, i never played it so i sold it and bought a copy v, also depends on what year
: How much would you pay for slightly used a Ibanez Destroyer: color (candy apple red)?

glad to see i was on the button with my valuation, i should do this for a living.

How much....

How much would you pay for slightly used a Ibanez Destroyer: color (candy apple red)?

With a hard case? $350, maybe $400 if its in excellent condition. they are nice guitars but they dont fetch loads of money.

1984 Takamine

Does anyone know how a 1984 Takamine EF-391 AE arch top cutaway plays, or what price it should go for these days?

Re: 1984 Takamine

i would think around $600, try it on Ebay, stick a $550 reserve on it.

Takamine 12-String Model F400 How Old

Takamine 12-String  Model F400 How Old

This popular thread has been given its own page : Takamine 12-String Model F400 How Old

Question for Trevor or Lee

I just bought a Boss HM-2 distortion pedal. Its the first pedal i've ever bought. When i turn it on my guitar squeals unbelievably. I was wondering if im doing something wrong, or if its just a faulty pedal.

Heres what i did, i put my amp on clean, and just fooled with the settings on the pedal a little. I found that i can get a cool sound when the tone and stuff is high but then the guitar squels...i dunno...any idea?

Re: Question for Trevor or Lee

Squeals when you change to distortion? If so im guessing it squeals even when the strings arent moving and when doin palm mutes it squeals, if these are some of the symptoms then all i can tell you to do is point your strings away from the amp and rock the guitar a little to get it out of the amps frequency waves, i have to do it with my RP200 and 300, i still have yet to find out what it is, but for the meantime i rock it around after i mute and it stops until i strike it a bit, maybe lee will know. Trevor

: I just bought a Boss HM-2 distortion pedal. Its the first pedal i've ever bought. When i turn it on my guitar squeals unbelievably. I was wondering if im doing something wrong, or if its just a faulty pedal.

: Heres what i did, i put my amp on clean, and just fooled with the settings on the pedal a little. I found that i can get a cool sound when the tone and stuff is high but then the guitar squels...i dunno...any idea?

: Squeals when you change to distortion? If so im guessing it squeals even when the strings arent moving and when doin palm mutes it squeals, if these are some of the symptoms then all i can tell you to do is point your strings away from the amp and rock the guitar a little to get it out of the amps frequency waves, i have to do it with my RP200 and 300, i still have yet to find out what it is, but for the meantime i rock it around after i mute and it stops until i strike it a bit, maybe lee will know. Trevor

: : I just bought a Boss HM-2 distortion pedal. Its the first pedal i've ever bought. When i turn it on my guitar squeals unbelievably. I was wondering if im doing something wrong, or if its just a faulty pedal.

Well ok I'll give you the whole run down here.

When i turn on the pedal it squels. When i take my hands of the strings usually. Even when im far away from, and back on to m amp. Maybe if i screw with my treb/mid/bass on my amp it'll calm down a little. Plus from what i've read the HM-2 takes alot of fuckin with to get it right.

I guess its pretty normal, but i've never used a pedal before so i thought it might be somethin screwed with it.

Ok then i dont know what it is but everytime i turn a distortion channel on in the RP300 it squeals, but like i said if i rock it, it usually stops, no matter how far away mine squeals too, i dunno though tell me your resaults with messin round with treble n shit. Trevor
: : Squeals when you change to distortion? If so im guessing it squeals even when the strings arent moving and when doin palm mutes it squeals, if these are some of the symptoms then all i can tell you to do is point your strings away from the amp and rock the guitar a little to get it out of the amps frequency waves, i have to do it with my RP200 and 300, i still have yet to find out what it is, but for the meantime i rock it around after i mute and it stops until i strike it a bit, maybe lee will know. Trevor

: : : I just bought a Boss HM-2 distortion pedal. Its the first pedal i've ever bought. When i turn it on my guitar squeals unbelievably. I was wondering if im doing something wrong, or if its just a faulty pedal.

: Well ok I'll give you the whole run down here.

: When i turn on the pedal it squels. When i take my hands of the strings usually. Even when im far away from, and back on to m amp. Maybe if i screw with my treb/mid/bass on my amp it'll calm down a little. Plus from what i've read the HM-2 takes alot of fuckin with to get it right.

: I guess its pretty normal, but i've never used a pedal before so i thought it might be somethin screwed with it.

Alright man i've been screwin with it a little and heres what i've found out....its alot "fuzzier" then the overdrive on my amp. Also, when the amp is clean i can get the pedal workin pretty good...but when i have my overdrive up and turn the pedal on it squels...and i cant get a good sound out of it even when i screw with the controls.

ok man, thanks for the info, ill try messin with the stuff but maybe we have bad pedals, my RP300 was used when i bought it so ill see whats up. Trevor

: Alright man i've been screwin with it a little and heres what i've found out....its alot "fuzzier" then the overdrive on my amp. Also, when the amp is clean i can get the pedal workin pretty good...but when i have my overdrive up and turn the pedal on it squels...and i cant get a good sound out of it even when i screw with the controls.

: ok man, thanks for the info, ill try messin with the stuff but maybe we have bad pedals, my RP300 was used when i bought it so ill see whats up. Trevor

: : Alright man i've been screwin with it a little and heres what i've found out....its alot "fuzzier" then the overdrive on my amp. Also, when the amp is clean i can get the pedal workin pretty good...but when i have my overdrive up and turn the pedal on it squels...and i cant get a good sound out of it even when i screw with the controls.

Maybe my amp just sucks. its some crap ass name 30 watt

Well my amp is a all tube crate stealth halfstack so i dunno bout mine suckin, but it does at time
trevor

: : ok man, thanks for the info, ill try messin with the stuff but maybe we have bad pedals, my RP300 was used when i bought it so ill see whats up. Trevor

: : : Alright man i've been screwin with it a little and heres what i've found out....its alot "fuzzier" then the overdrive on my amp. Also, when the amp is clean i can get the pedal workin pretty good...but when i have my overdrive up and turn the pedal on it squels...and i cant get a good sound out of it even when i screw with the controls.

: Maybe my amp just sucks. its some crap ass name 30 watt

Your first pedal...cool.
A common mistake that people make is to turn the amp volume to 5....and dist. level to 10.Distortion "IS" volume.So,try turning the dist. level down to 3 or 4.

Also,turn down the volume of the dist. pedal.Cuz the amp has volume,the pedal has volume,and dist. IS volume.
A bad battery can also make a pedal do weird things.
If this doesn't help then you might have a bad pedal.
Good Luck

: Your first pedal...cool.
: A common mistake that people make is to turn the amp volume to 5....and dist. level to 10.Distortion "IS" volume.So,try turning the dist. level down to 3 or 4.

: Also,turn down the volume of the dist. pedal.Cuz the amp has volume,the pedal has volume,and dist. IS volume.
: A bad battery can also make a pedal do weird things.
: If this doesn't help then you might have a bad pedal.
: Good Luck

Yeah thanks guys, it took some screwin with and getting used to but its workin great now.

Thanks again

Question for anybody and everybody

I have a 1985 charvel model 4 with a kahler floating Trem system, im not good with prices so i need help, i need to know how much a kahler floating trem is worth, and how much a charvel in close to mint condition is worth, and if your interested in this guitar its for sale by the way, Thanks to all who respond, Trevor

Re: Question for anybody and everybody

Well,it depends on the condition of the saddles.Used...I would say about $75-$85.New....I think maybe $140.
hope this helps

Lookin for humbuckers for flyin v

im lookin for a pair of decent humbuckers to put in my flying v if anybody has any layin around please tell me, thanks, trevor

Re: Lookin for humbuckers for flyin v

Trevor, you know you have to invest in some Seymour seth lovers, get your wallet out and give that matercard another bashing.
Lee

unfortunatly im only 16 and that mastercard, whoa not there, and i have to work alot to pay for the shit i got, so im lookin for some duncan designs for cheap.
: Trevor, you know you have to invest in some Seymour seth lovers, get your wallet out and give that matercard another bashing.
: Lee

get a saturday job, save up, think of those seths as an investment, they are leathal sounding buckers.

They any good for the old school metallica tone?
Trevor
: get a saturday job, save up, think of those seths as an investment, they are leathal sounding buckers.

EMG

Hell yeah but like i said, im short on money for bout 1 or 2 months especially for EMG's i use (81 81 active combo) so i was wonderin if there are any cheap alternatives for the time being, thanks Lee, Trevor

: EMG

Tabit key

Please any on out there who has the Tabit 1.62 unlock file pleas send it.
Thanx

hellow

how now I just want to check your mail

kay guitars

i have kay guitar that looks like a les paul,can anyone give me any info at all about it or a related site,it is black with cream around the edges with pearl inlays

Re: kay guitars

i beleive they were made in Japan in late 60's early to mid 70's, they were a good honest copy, pickups were a bit under powered, these were quite good copies, 3 peice mahogany body, perhaps if you change the pickups for some Seymour Duncans it would improve it a great deal, but then you would probably pay more for the pickups than the guitar is worth, i think you can get good example Kay copies for around $280.

Belew

Hey I was looking for a list of or even photos of Adrian Belews gear and pedals. Checked at Guitar geek and they had nothing. Didn't find anything on his site or Crimson sites. Doesn't even need to be the most up to date...any time period would be good. Anyone help?
James

Purchase guitar

I have one of your student guitars; purchased from an Estaban feature on TV. Where can I buy another one? Reply E-Mail.

Re: Purchase guitar

somebody enlighten me here...

Re: Purchase guitar

I'm lost too... maybe too much drink.... better go to bed..
: somebody enlighten me here...

MY TELE.

i have a telecast that im not so sure about the date of it....it was made in mexico....but i looked at another fender site and it said the 400,000 were made in the 70's but this other site said it was made in like 95 or 96....
the serial number is
MN400768
email me if you can help me out
.::Zakk::.

Re: MY TELE.

The "MN" series was made in Mexico.It's probably a copy of a 70's Tele.

Good Luck

"Drown in my own tears" - Jeff Beck's version

hello there
I would really love to learn this song(it can be found on one of the Jools Holland Cds). Please could anyone tell me where to get the music for this song from or anything. Ive posted this message before cos im so desperate to learn it!

How much is my Yamaha FG365S worth?

Anybody????? Help. I bought it new in 1980

Thanks
R2

Re: How much is my Yamaha FG365S worth?

great accoustic, solid spruce top, gets lots of great reveiws, price? about $300-$400 depending on condition.
Lee

Alternate tuning

I discovered this by accident while tuning my guitar so I could follow a recording by Chet Atkins playing the theme song from Romeo and Juliet. The sound seems to be in standard tuning, however when I matched the sound by tuning the first string (small E) the corresponding sound was an (F), I then tuned my guitar the rest of the way by ear using the method of 1st string open and 2nd string at the 5th fret, 2nd open with 3rd at 4th fret, 4open and 5th at 5th fret and so on to the 6th. this is how I tuned my guitar for standard tuning, geting E,A,D,G,B,E. By using this method after copying the sound of the first string on the recording as the starting point I wound up with F,A#,d#,g#,C, F. I was very impressed at the sound that this produced, the cords seem to be more in harmony, and more melodious. I also discovered that I could play songs as I would be playing in standard tuning and the music sounded much better. Many of you may already know about this, I thought that those of you who have not experimented with alternate tunings would want to try this, I may never return to standard tuning after this, I think that this tuning is how the Nashville Cats get that marvelous sound.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.