Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2005

Archive for posts from January, 2005

ArchiveDecember 2004 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

gibson humbuckers

Can anyone tell me the difference between 1983 patent No. and 57 vintage reissue oickups?

Re: gibson humbuckers

: Can anyone tell me the difference between 1983 patent No. and 57 vintage reissue oickups?

They are exactly the same pickup. 57 Classics have the stamped baseplate, here is an example of the metal stamping you might see from 1983: PAT. NO. 2,737,842.

Re: gibson humbuckers

: : Can anyone tell me the difference between 1983 patent No. and 57 vintage reissue oickups?

: They are exactly the same pickup. 57 Classics have the stamped baseplate, here is an example of the metal stamping you might see from 1983: PAT. NO. 2,737,842.

But the Pat. No. pickups are not potted and the '57 reissues are.

changing strings

Hey. IT's my first time changing strings, and my mom, grandma, dad, and I have all tried to change them, and we cant get the 2nd string out...Can anyone tell me what we're doing wrong?? thanks for any help i can get.

Re: changing strings

what kind of guitar is it?

Re: changing strings

: Hey. IT's my first time changing strings, and my mom, grandma, dad, and I have all tried to change them, and we cant get the 2nd string out...Can anyone tell me what we're doing wrong?? thanks for any help i can get.

I'm not personally sure about tune-oh-matics, but as for synch bridges (ones with saddles) it might be jammed in there because part of the string is bent or what not. As for floyds, you gotta open the back and unstring both sides. Hope this helps.

appraisal - BC Rich acoustic

appraisal - BC Rich acoustic

This popular thread has been given its own page : appraisal - BC Rich acoustic

Epi LPS wiring

okay, I have an Epiphone Les Paul special, that when plugged in emits a major static noise from the amp when you touch the strings... to rule out any problems with the amp I tested it with both my LPS and a Gibson SG reissue, the amp worked fine with the sg, but not my lp...

my next thought was to see if the bridge was grounded, I see a black wire runnin to the bridge from the back of the volume pot, so I figure that it is likely grounded... I looked around some more and noticed that the stereo (2 hots one ground) wires coming from the pickups only have 1 hot and one ground connected to anything, the other hots are just cliped, I dont know if this would cause this....

any help you might be able to offer would really be helpfull, hopefully I'll have a soldering iron to use if you get back to me..

many thanks.

Kyle

Re: Epi LPS wiring

http://www.gibson.com/products/strings/pickups/classics.shtml

look at the bottom of the page for a wiring diagram in .pdf format, it shows how to wire a classic humbucker, much the same as your LPS. if this all looks ok, i would check the jack plug input, make sure your wires are connected there.
Lee

how much is my guitar worth

i have a csl les paul copy black with black scratch plate.how can you tell how old it is i didnt buy it new it was passed to my when my uncle died and i just wonderd if any body knew its rough value because it i have to insure it seperetly from the house hold policy

Re: how much is my guitar worth

It really depends on the condition on the axe. Is all scratched up, some what beat up, are there dents or ding in the finish, does it look dull or shiny, is the hardware clean and pretty still, or is the gold or silver plating flaking off. When you first saw this thing, did you ooh and aah, or did you say "What a piece of junk?" If your first impression was good, it might be more valuable. Any copy of a LP, to the insurance company, will be of low to very low value. I wouldn't insure it for more than $100. Even that's high, unless it is absolutely mint and drop-dead gorgeous. If it looks like it was never played and is MINT, maybe $150.

Guitars

I have just come into two guitars, an Arirang Bass and an Antoria Electric, I need information on both makes.

Re: Guitars

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/#man

Gibson Jimmy Page Serial numbers

Does anyone know if you can authenticate a JPLP by its serial number?

Thank you.

Janine

Re: Gibson Jimmy Page Serial numbers

they all seem to have usual type serial numbers, i know they have all got tapered necks, so if the neck feels chunky like a 50's neck then beware, maybe someone else can throw some more light on it, i take it you mean the mid to late 90's JP, and not the more recent custom shop and custom shop aged models??

Re: Gibson Jimmy Page Serial numbers

:
: Does anyone know if you can authenticate a JPLP by its serial number?

: Thank you.

: Janine

It can be done. If not here, try your topic on our www.lespaulforum.com.

how much will it take to fix and how much is it worth

hey,
I just got back from a old crapy shop and while i was in their i found a slivertone acoustic guitar its stripped of everything its just a wooden frame pretty much and i got it for 5 bucks so i was just wondering if somone could email if they know how much they cost to fix or how much they reagluarly are
Thanks

Re: how much will it take to fix and how much is it worth

: hey,
: I just got back from a old crapy shop and while i was in their i found a slivertone acoustic guitar its stripped of everything its just a wooden frame pretty much and i got it for 5 bucks so i was just wondering if somone could email if they know how much they cost to fix or how much they reagluarly are
: Thanks

It would probably cost more than it's worth...plant flowers in it!

some people have no imagination, flowers?? everybody does that, how about using it as a scarecrow?? paint it a rediculous colour, like that silly platinum colour gibson are currently using, stick it through a pole and leave it in a field, now thats original... any other ideas?

: some people have no imagination, flowers?? everybody does that, how about using it as a scarecrow?? paint it a rediculous colour, like that silly platinum colour gibson are currently using, stick it through a pole and leave it in a field, now thats original... any other ideas?

I guess a Sears Silvertone gets no respect!

: If I were you I would outfit it myself, the electronics and stuff will be kind of pricey depending on what you get but all you gotta do is find scematics for the general guitar type and install pickups and all that verbatim, fudge if absouletly needed; in the end you will have a totaly custom guitar that you built, plus it would be a bundle to have someone else do it, ya know with all the labor., P

Dean Icon

i aquired a new dean guitar recently it is an older model but hasnt been played since i have received iti was wondering if anyone knew more about my new guitar.it is beautifull marbled purplpish maroon and black. please let me know

takamine GX-200 (for sale)

i have a Takamine GX-200 for sale. i dont want to get rid of it but i am poor and i need money for college and so i could let it go for $300

Gibson amplifier ( 50's vintage )

i have a verry old gibson amplifier that i baught at a garage sale it is 50's vintage let me know if you are interested.

Pickup Wiring Question

I posted this in the Repair Shop Forum, but there doesn't appear to be very much going on there, so I figured I'd try posting here: I have a stock Fender Strat (Mexican made model) that I want to put a humbucker in at the bridge. I have a DiMarzio DP100 (Super Distortion) that I want to put in, but am having trouble finding info on how to wire it. It would go in the usual Strat sequence: Bridge humbucker, neck and middle single coils. 5 way selector, one volume and two tone knobs. I checked the wiring on this pickup and it has three wire coming off it. A black wire, a white wire and a bare wire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Re: Pickup Wiring Question

take a note of 'standard humbucking operation' diagram.
http://strings.gibson.com/PUPwiring.pdf

you see you are left with 2 wires soldered and taped togther, red goes to control, while the remaining 2 are soldered to ground, usualy on top of a tone or vol pot.

blues guitar

Is there anyone from the New Orleans area interested in acoustic blues. If so, please Email me. Like to find someone to jam with.

chord lagu

chord lagu

This popular thread has been given its own page : chord lagu

bavarian framus acustic guitar

I have a framus acustic guitar, model M, serial number 52356 I would like to no aproximate value?

Re: bavarian framus acustic guitar

: I have a framus six string, archback acustic guitar, model M, serial number 52356 I would like to no aproximate value?

I want to download kal ho na ho songs

I want to download Kal ho na ho songs.

Re: I want to download kal ho na ho songs

: I want to download Kal ho na ho songs.

contact Thakur Chakrapani Singh a Legend of Classical Guitar www.classicalguitar-veena.com Thanks.
James

to sell, fender strat plus, how much is it worth?

the guitar:
1. american made fender strat plus
2. bought new 11+ years ago
3. sunburst, white pickguard
4. lace pickups
5. maple neck
6. barely played
7. one or two minor scratches (minor really, just telling for full disclosure purposes)
8. hard case, one latch was forecully opened and now missing due to airline security. still closes up, however.
9. serial number: n270292

Re: to sell, fender strat plus, how much is it worth?

if that was on sale in the UK it would be worth between £350-£500 ($650 - $900), from what ive seen the UK and US prices are pretty similar.

www.fenderstemple.fr.fm

New fender online store : www.fenderstemple.fr.fm

Come to see us ! We receive fender everyday !

bought guitar...was it worth the money?

i just bought a samick artist series les paul copy.
it plays great and sounds pretty good too...was 150$ too much to spend?

Re: bought guitar...was it worth the money?

what else can you get for $150?? you got a guitar that plays great and sounds good, i think thats well worth 150.

Re: bought guitar...was it worth the money?

150 Is a great price for a guitar, especially one youre happy with

3 things in life you can count on.

1. at some point we will all die.
2. Bin Laden will die at 102 peacfully in his sleep.
3. ALL Colombus guitars are rip off rubbish affairs.

lado bass

hi! I'am looking for schematic wiring for my Lado bass guitar , model # (cdn f2 1329) I 'd appreciate it if someone out there would know anything about it and send me email ty in adv.

fender guitars made in mexico-- how to read the serial number

fender guitars made in mexico-- how to read the serial number

This popular thread has been given its own page : fender guitars made in mexico-- how to read the serial number

song

pls send me latest hindi song(mujhse saddi karoge,dhoom,dil mange more,etc...

Re: song

: pls send me hindi song mujse shaadi karoge,dhoom,jabkoibaat bigad jaye hey ,churaliya tumne jo dil ko ,kuch kuch hota hai,and other songs of dhoom

takamine EF441SC

hey- i was wondering if anyone knew what the worth of my takamine EF441SC would be today- it was broken by an airline and they're going to cover the value of the guitar.

Re: takamine EF441SC

: hey- i was wondering if anyone knew what the worth of my takamine EF441SC would be today- it was broken by an airline and they're going to cover the value of the guitar.

Is there no dealer nearby who can take a look at it?

request

minta chord nya cinta terahir dari gigi dong

Re: request

: minta chord nya cinta terahir dari gigi dong

Well, Frank Zappa used to say "you only wipe twice".

Need classic rock amp!

I play a lot of classic rock and am looking into buting an amp either combo or a stack. I also sing so I wouyld like to be able to run a mike through it. Any suggestions? Oh, yeah I'm trying to keep total cost under a grand.

Re: Need classic rock amp!

: I play a lot of classic rock and am looking into buting an amp either combo or a stack. I also sing so I wouyld like to be able to run a mike through it. Any suggestions? Oh, yeah I'm trying to keep total cost under a grand.

i play alot of classic rock also and i was looking for a combo amp with the sound of zep hendrix ect. i ended up going with a avt 100 which i am very happy with. you can create any sound with it and it is also great for playing metal like metalica. it also has a great clean chanel. It is a truly great amp

Re: Need classic rock amp!

To play classic rock right get a classic amp. I recomend the Hiwatt sa212 or a Marshall combo from the 70's or early 80's. Ebay is a good place to find the oldies that are a little beat up but still sound great.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.