Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - February, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Modifying an Ampeg SVT 8x10 Cabinet

: : I've had a couple of 8x10 cabinets. Two or three SVTs and even a Marshall 8x10. With the SVTs there is no way to "open it up". You basically have to get at it from the front. That is, pull off the grill and get to the insides of the cabinet through the speaker holes. I bought an SVT that had three blown speakers and modified one half of it with one 15" speaker. That gave me a lot more bottom end with the highs that the 10''s offered. It was in crappy shape otherwise I would have left it alone.
: : For you to swap over 4 of the 8 speakers, take the grill off, and simply disconnect the bottom or top four speakers so that you can rewire them with a second jack. Personally, I'd leave it alone and buy another cabinet. The SVT is worth more if it is in it's normal configuration and not modified.

: : Good luck.

: : DALE

I agree with Dale, and that was Dales post not mine, that was an accident.
I actually took a circular saw and cut one in half about twenty years ago, I had to reseal one of the chambers, it was a pain in the ass, and was not worth the trouble, and never looked right, the two halfs were slightly different sizes because of the chambers. Ampeg makes 4 X 10 cabs now, other wise get another 8 X 10, be a man! haha.
When you split them you also get two 8 ohm cabs instead of one 4 ohm cab, and one 8 X 10 sounds better than two 4 X 10's IMHO, I've used them for almost thirty years and wouldn't switch to anything else for big cabs. I use small ampeg cabs for small rooms with an SVT head (old tube one)

Re: Modifying an Ampeg SVT 8x10 Cabinet

: : : I've had a couple of 8x10 cabinets. Two or three SVTs and even a Marshall 8x10. With the SVTs there is no way to "open it up". You basically have to get at it from the front. That is, pull off the grill and get to the insides of the cabinet through the speaker holes. I bought an SVT that had three blown speakers and modified one half of it with one 15" speaker. That gave me a lot more bottom end with the highs that the 10''s offered. It was in crappy shape otherwise I would have left it alone.
: : : For you to swap over 4 of the 8 speakers, take the grill off, and simply disconnect the bottom or top four speakers so that you can rewire them with a second jack. Personally, I'd leave it alone and buy another cabinet. The SVT is worth more if it is in it's normal configuration and not modified.

: : : Good luck.

: : : DALE

: I agree with Dale, and that was Dales post not mine, that was an accident.
: I actually took a circular saw and cut one in half about twenty years ago, I had to reseal one of the chambers, it was a pain in the ass, and was not worth the trouble, and never looked right, the two halfs were slightly different sizes because of the chambers. Ampeg makes 4 X 10 cabs now, other wise get another 8 X 10, be a man! haha.
: When you split them you also get two 8 ohm cabs instead of one 4 ohm cab, and one 8 X 10 sounds better than two 4 X 10's IMHO, I've used them for almost thirty years and wouldn't switch to anything else for big cabs. I use small ampeg cabs for small rooms with an SVT head (old tube one).

Bob

Guitarport by Line6

Is there anybody that can tell me if this produkt of line6 the guitarport is any good.

Re: Guitarport by Line6

I think it's pretty decent, but prefer my flextone(pod)... the one I tried was w/marshall head/stack. and even though I thought it was 'decent', I have the marshall for it's 'sound', so would never use it with that setup. I prefer their modeling amps, like having everything in one package for messing around and they are great for recording.

: Is there anybody that can tell me if this produkt of line6 the guitarport is any good.

I have a Line6 Flextone II (100 watt with 2-12" Eminence speakers). These amps kick ass! This little amp can crank some sound and offers the flexibility of modeling, and is especially useful using the matching Line6 Floorboard. I also have two Marshall amps, ones a Valuestate VS265 and the other is JCM600 head with a Vintage Marshall cabinet, and the Flextone can product the warmth and grind of a Marshall. You will need to spend some serious time playing around with the controls to really learn what the Flextone can do for you.

Yeah, I like my flextone too, especially for recording, and really like the midi control and pod/patchs... makes life much easier, but for gigs I still prefer marshalls and the ole blackcat.

: I have a Line6 Flextone II (100 watt with 2-12" Eminence speakers). These amps kick ass! This little amp can crank some sound and offers the flexibility of modeling, and is especially useful using the matching Line6 Floorboard. I also have two Marshall amps, ones a Valuestate VS265 and the other is JCM600 head with a Vintage Marshall cabinet, and the Flextone can product the warmth and grind of a Marshall. You will need to spend some serious time playing around with the controls to really learn what the Flextone can do for you.

: Is there anybody that can tell me if this produkt of line6 the guitarport is any good.

It is excellent, buy it.

Hofner Violin Bass

I have a right handed hofner violin bass guitar (circa 1962) and am looking for some guidance on it's approximate value. It has had 1 owner since new and has the original hard-case.

I would be grateful for any information.

Re: Hofner Violin Bass

: I have a right handed hofner violin bass guitar (circa 1962) and am looking for some guidance on it's approximate value. It has had 1 owner since new and has the original hard-case.

: I would be grateful for any information.

Hi

It depends very much on if it is actually from 1962 or slightly later. In general Hofner basses from 1962 and earlier are much more difficult to get, and thereby more valuable, than the later ones(1963 and onwards). If you send a detailed describtion of the bass, preferably with pics., I'll revert back to you.

Re: Hofner Violin Bass I have a 1965 model, from new, with Selmer case, along with original hp agree

: Hi

: It depends very much on if it is actually from 1962 or slightly later. In general Hofner basses from 1962 and earlier are much more difficult to get, and thereby more valuable, than the later ones(1963 and onwards). If you send a detailed describtion of the bass, preferably with pics., I'll revert back to you.

Re: Hofner Violin Bass I have a 1965 model, from new, with Selmer case, along with original hp agree

: : Hi

: : It depends very much on if it is actually from 1962 or slightly later. In general Hofner basses from 1962 and earlier are much more difficult to get, and thereby more valuable, than the later ones(1963 and onwards). If you send a detailed describtion of the bass, preferably with pics., I'll revert back to you.

Re: Hofner Violin Bass I have a 1965 model,

: : : Hi
: : : I have a 1965 hofner violin bass. Number stamped on back of neck is 225 can you tell me anything about this guitar will send you a picture if needed. awaight your reply thanks

Well the re-issue ones are currently around £1000 so providing its in good condition i'd say around £1000. I've seen second hand ones around for about £700 but there not original there later re-isssues also you've got the case so yeh I'd say about £1000

I bought a Hofner Violin in 1974 for £50. The previous owner said he'd had it for some time, but as a 14 year old Macca maniac I wasn't too bothered about its history and was just chuffed to own one! It has a serial number on the back of the headstock of 641. Any value guestimates - it's in good nick and still used on stage.

: I have a right handed hofner violin bass guitar (circa 1962) and am looking for some guidance on it's approximate value. It has had 1 owner since new and has the original hard-case.

: I would be grateful for any information.

I saw one like this for about $2300 incl case in Sam Ash NY in Feb. There was some minor damage where the binding was coming away from the top, but otherwise it was a lovely example. A '67 in better nick was slightly cheaper at $2000

What amp? Please help

i have been playing for about 7 years now. i am 15 years old. i have recentley started a band with my mates, i discovered that my 30 watt marshall is just not loud and good enough. Can someone please advise me on what amp i could by for about £300 - £400. This has to be sutable for pub/club venues

Thanx

Re: What amp? Please help

What kind of music do you play?? I love my Tech21 Trademark 60.The overdrive is kinda mean(not crunch).It
can handle most musical styles.Got mine(used)for $350.00
Good Luck

Re: What amp? Please help

: i have been playing for about 7 years now. i am 15 years old. i have recentley started a band with my mates, i discovered that my 30 watt marshall is just not loud and good enough. Can someone please advise me on what amp i could by for about £300 - £400. This has to be sutable for pub/club venues

: Thanx HMMM-- A 30W MARSHALL? IS IT ONE OF THOSE SOLID STATE JOBS? DUDE, YOU NEED TO MOVE UP TO THE POWER OF THE ALMIGHTY VALVE. I DONT'T KNOW WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOUR INTO(I'M GUESSING IT'S HEAVY), BUT AMP. MANUFACTURERS MAKE A LOT OF MONEY PAKAGING THE SO CALLED HEAVEY SOUND IN SOLID STATE FORM AND SELLING IT TO YOUNG KIDS--ITS CHEAP, SO YOUR PARENTS CAN AFORD IT, AND IT SOUNDS PRETTY DARN GOOD IN YOUR BEDROOM. BUT THEN YOU CRANK IT UP AND IT JUST DOESNT HAVE THE BALLS TO KEEP UP WITH YOU BASS AND DRUMMER--AND THE TONE ALL OF A SUDDEN SUCKS!!! DUDE, YOUVE GOT $350 TO SPEND---YOUR IN PEAVEY RANGE. SHOP AROUND MAN---TRY 50W IN A ALL TUBE AMP---CHECK OUT A PEAVEY CLASSIC 50 AND FIRE THEM TUBES UP!! ROCK ON!!!

takamine F-349

takamine F-349

This popular thread has been given its own page : takamine F-349

Buying an acoustic guitar

I have 350$ to spend for an acoustic guitar.
I'm considering: Washburn D10SCE, Wasburn D10CEQ, Ibanez PF200, Fender D20, Takamine EG530.
What do you think I should buy? Oh, and another thing, I can't hear that guitars because I don't have them in any store in my town.

Re: Buying an acoustic guitar

: I have 350$ to spend for an acoustic guitar.
: I'm considering: Washburn D10SCE, Wasburn D10CEQ, Ibanez PF200, Fender D20, Takamine EG530.
: What do you think I should buy? Oh, and another thing, I can't hear that guitars because I don't have them in any store in my town.

HEY, IF YOU CAN GO $29 MORE,PLUS SHIPPING, YOU CAN GET A GUITAR WITH AA SOLID SPUCE TOP, MAHOGANY BACK AND SIDES, SATIN FINISH. IT'S A CARVIN C250. $379+$19.95 SHIPPING. IF YOUR ON A BUDGET, AND YOU WANT A GOOD SOUNDING GUITAR, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

: I have 350$ to spend for an acoustic guitar.
: I'm considering: Washburn D10SCE, Wasburn D10CEQ, Ibanez PF200, Fender D20, Takamine EG530.
: What do you think I should buy? Oh, and another thing, I can't hear that guitars because I don't have them in any store in my town.

Or you could get the Washburn d10sce which has also has a solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, an EQ/pickup, (with a hard case and a cutaway), and great sound for the price of the Carvin. I love mine. Got it at www.proaudiomusic.com

i need some advice on country music

i like traditional country and listen to merle travis , doc watson, mostly picking style.
i want to hear something based on picking and vocal, no violins no piano, a sound like i'm so lonesome i can cry by hank williams or dark as dungeon, sixteen tons by merle travis or ghost riders in the sky
can you recommend artists please

Guitar strap

Okay after you stop laughing at me... I bought my son a Takamine guitar and a guitar strap for it, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put it on. It is a gift and wanted it all together for his birthday. Thanks for any help.... PS... You can start laughing again.

Re: Guitar strap

Normally there are 2 studs on the guitar... one behind the bridge and one near the neck, and the 'holes' on the strap just go over them... the only other thing I can think of is that the guitar has 'locking' strap hardware on it and you don't have the other ends and that is why you cant use a regular strap... if that is so just bring it to a shop and have them replaced, or get mating strap/locks.

: Okay after you stop laughing at me... I bought my son a Takamine guitar and a guitar strap for it, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put it on. It is a gift and wanted it all together for his birthday. Thanks for any help.... PS... You can start laughing again.

JAZZ GUITAR TONE FROM AN ARTIST SOLID BODY? PICKUP?

I HAVE A HANDMADE, MAPLE, ARTIST, SOLID BODY GUITAR. I WONDER HOW CAN I GET ARCHTOP JAZZ GUITAR TONE FROM AN ARTIST SOLID BODY? BY USING WHICH PICKUP FOR THE NECK?? (EMG-91 ?, SEYMOUR DUNCAN ?, OR WHAT???)

Re: JAZZ GUITAR TONE FROM AN ARTIST SOLID BODY? PICKUP?

try a seymour duncan "holdsworth" if you can find one (i dont think they make them anymore)i have one and it is superb. it has 2 sets of screws and picks up the signal on both coils of the humbucker giving a fat warm tone. good luck

Re: JAZZ GUITAR TONE FROM AN ARTIST SOLID BODY? PICKUP?

Some of the DiMarzio pickups can give a deadly jazz tone. I have only Duncan models on my guitar, so I can't give you a specific model name. I f you want a further jazz tone, try this. Neck pickup, tone knob all the way down. On your amp, screw around with your equalization knobs so you have no treble or mids.

Hope I helped

1971 CG WINNER

1971 CG WINNER

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1971 CG WINNER

Is , or was, Mann Guitars a company?

My uncle has a deadly guitar. Three Alnico pickups, and a quilted maple top. It's made from Mann Guitars in Korea. No, not Manne Guitars in Italy. I checked everywhere, but I can't find it. Did it, or does it exist? If it does, can u give me a website?

Re: Is , or was, Mann Guitars a company?

: My uncle has a deadly guitar. Three Alnico pickups, and a quilted maple top. It's made from Mann Guitars in Korea. No, not Manne Guitars in Italy. I checked everywhere, but I can't find it. Did it, or does it exist? If it does, can u give me a website?

My buddy just gave me his old Mann, it's a Les Paul lookalike. It's pretty cool, it is spelled Mann however it's from Japan

pax guitar amplifier

hey i need some help if someone know where i can find some piece for a old pax guitar amplifier

Re: pax guitar amplifier

I recently obtained an old PAX amp. It may have the piece or pieces you need. What is the model # on yours.

Re: pax guitar amplifier

I have an old PAX amp I found on ebaby. It has an unusual tube linep and a beautiful warm tone. Other than the fact that it was made in Canada I have no info on it. Does anyone know the history and any other info on these amps. For instance schematics?

orange ad30?

i was thinking about buying orange ad30 head and a orange 2x12 cab. any opinions comments... think i should huh huh? i play syd barret/velvet underground/pavement/captain beefheart kinda stuff... whatdya think?

Re: orange ad30?

A friend has one and I think it sounds great, although I prefer other amps for what I play, I think it would suit your needs.

: i was thinking about buying orange ad30 head and a orange 2x12 cab. any opinions comments... think i should huh huh? i play syd barret/velvet underground/pavement/captain beefheart kinda stuff... whatdya think?

Montaya Bass Guitar Strat Replica OLD!

Montaya Bass Guitar Strat Replica OLD!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Montaya Bass Guitar Strat Replica OLD!

The Crow - Guitar Solo.... The Tab???

The Crow - Guitar Solo.... The Tab???

This popular thread has been given its own page : The Crow - Guitar Solo.... The Tab???

Beginners guitar

I am interested in learning to play the guitar and was wondering what brand to invest in. I think I will start out with an acoustic. Would like feedback from the pros who would know how to best get rollin on this new and exciting adventure.

Re: Beginners guitar

A midrange ovation is a good choice in my opinion.

: I am interested in learning to play the guitar and was wondering what brand to invest in. I think I will start out with an acoustic. Would like feedback from the pros who would know how to best get rollin on this new and exciting adventure.

: I am interested in learning to play the guitar and was wondering what brand to invest in. I think I will start out with an acoustic. Would like feedback from the pros who would know how to best get rollin on this new and exciting adventure. HEY, I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM OVATIONS. THE ROUND BACK MAKES THEM VERY HARD TO HOLD ON TO IN SITTING POSITION. THEY ARE HALF PLASTIC, AND THE TONE SUCKS(SUBJECTIVE). CHECK OUT THE NEW CORTS. THEY JUST PUT OUT A NICE LITTLE PARLOR SIZE ACOUSTIC THAT SOUNDS GREAT, PLAYS WELL, AND IS VERY PLEASING TO YHE EYE.---I THINK THEY LIST FOR AROUND $400, SO THAT MEANS YOU CAN BUY IT A LOT CHEAPER AT YOUR LOCAL CORT DEALER. I'M REAL CLOSE TO BUYING ONE MYSELF---HAVE FUN ON YOUR MUSICAL JOURNEY.

I have an ovation adamas and for a low-mid priced guitar think it sounds great, and I also like the 'feel' of a mid bowel sitting or standing... I don't find it uncomfortable or hard to hold at all. But that is just my opinion... your best bet is to go and play as many as you can and buy the one that feels/sounds the best (or the best you can afford) to you.

: I am interested in learning to play the guitar and was wondering what brand to invest in. I think I will start out with an acoustic. Would like feedback from the pros who would know how to best get rollin on this new and exciting adventure.

Tanglewood Chicago

I have just bought S/H a Tanglewood Chicago I, about 2 years old, I've been told. It has a 'Assembled in Australia' on the back of the headstock -any ideas which company in Oz? Tanglewood are useless and can't help.

Maverick

Maverick

This popular thread has been given its own page : Maverick

STRINGS ADVICE WANTED

bought an epiphone ej200 acoustic,e,a,d, strings dull real quick,using 52-12 gibson epiphone strings,any ideas for a more jangly bottom end,thanx b.j

Re: STRINGS ADVICE WANTED

10-48s, go the fender phosphor bronze's

Re: STRINGS ADVICE WANTED

: 10-48s, go the fender phosphor bronze'sthanks vladimir ill check them out regards b.j

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.