Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: speed builder

I would get a metronome and practice my scales to the "clock".When you've got that down(cleanly)increase the speed of the clock and practice faster.
Good Luck

hofner galaxy

how much is it worth ????

Kids & guitar

My son (8th grade) wants to play guitar. The school's music director wants him -- and all others -- to play anything BUT guitar. Anyone know of articles on kids and learning music through learning guitar? Thanks.

Re: Kids & guitar

I'm not sure why you need articles on the subject. There are probably many people who visit this site who are guitar instuctors who teach kids (like me). Why not just ask them what you would like to know?

The most likely reason that your schools music director doesn't want anyone playing guitar is that he probably doesn't know the first thing about teaching guitar. In order to get a music education degree, you need to learn how to play, read and write music for the most popular band instuments (trumpet, sax, flute, percussion, etc...). Guitar is Not one of these instruments.

When I was in college majoring in music performance, I asked why I had to learn to play the piano and pass a piano proficiency test when I was there to play guitar. I was told by the head of the music department himself that I "need to learn how to play a Chordal instrument in order to have a full understanding of music." A chordal instrument...I kid you not. This is to show how ignorant of the guitar most learning institutions are.

Please feel free to contact me through email concerning this thread. I don't check this BBS every day.

daniel@groovica.com

Daniel

Looking for Spanish Style Guitar Lessons in London, UK area, can anyone help????

hello

Does anyone know or if anyone teaches spanish style guitar in london, i really want to learn and don't seem to beable to find anywhere so far that teaches!! can anyone help???

Re: Looking for Spanish Style Guitar Lessons in the Brighton area, can anyone help????

: hello

: Does anyone know or if anyone teaches spanish style guitar in the Brighton Area, i really want to learn and don't seem to beable to find anywhere so far that teaches!! can anyone help???

Re: Looking for Spanish Style Guitar Lessons in the Brighton area, can anyone help????

Look up Paul Aguilera

Re: Looking for Spanish Style Guitar Lessons in London, UK area, can anyone help????

Did you ever find a teacher cos Im looking as well?

bass guitar tab-rock'n'roll-chris montez-lets dance-needed urgently!!

bass guitar tab-rock'n'roll-chris montez-lets dance-needed urgently!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : bass guitar tab-rock'n'roll-chris montez-lets dance-needed urgently!!

Re-fretting Martin guitar

I have a old Martin D-18.I researched the serial # and it was made in '59.I've had it since '71.I need to re-fret it and possibly replace upper and lower bridges.I need info on where to order fretts and correct bridges,height of strings on neck,or how to keep fret height consistant,,,,can anybody direct me?

Ibanez VS Gibson

yes , that´s it .

Tom DeLonge's guitar

Tom DeLonge's guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Tom DeLonge's guitar

Awesome Parts site.

Man, you can build your own Fender Strat for way less than Fender sells them for with better parts too.

Check it out. www.relicmasters.com

Re: Awesome Parts site.

www.customrelics.com

Re: Awesome Parts site.

Don't deal with these guys, parts are sub par quality, bad additude, you'll be sorry. email me for details.

Gibson specs and plans

Gibson specs and plans

This popular thread has been given its own page : Gibson specs and plans

Left handed 12 string

I'm looking for a left handed 12 string. Can anybody help me?

Re: Left handed 12 string

: I'm looking for a left handed 12 string. Can anybody help me?

I have a nice Ovation round sound hole, non-pickup lefty 12 string for sale.

Let me know if you are interested.

John Brophy

: I'm looking for a left handed 12 string. Can anybody help me?
Samick make a left handed 12 string acoustic hope you find one.

: : I'm looking for a left handed 12 string. Can anybody help me?
Mandalaymusic.com has a great one!

westfield

does anyone have a instruction booklet for a westfield
gt-303 guitar tuner

Gibson OB25

Ive just purchased a gibson acoustic electric guitar thats marked as being an OB25.I cant find anything about it,not even in the gibson bluebook.Does this guitar go by a model name or have I got an obscurity?

Re: Gibson OB25

: Ive just purchased a gibson acoustic electric guitar thats marked as being an OB25.I cant find anything about it,not even in the gibson bluebook.Does this guitar go by a model name or have I got an obscurity?

wish i knew. could anyone tell me where i can find the "Gibson Blue book"?

tunig\resetting a Floyd Rose tremelo

tunig\resetting a Floyd Rose tremelo

This popular thread has been given its own page : tunig\resetting a Floyd Rose tremelo

Superb Instrument up for grabs!

Go to....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=852154163

and have a look! truly uniique!

Noiseless or texas special?

What's your favorite pickup? are they really different? is it worth the gap of price from the american standard? i wanna know your opinion...

Re: Noiseless or texas special?

: What's your favorite pickup? are they really different? is it worth the gap of price from the american standard? i wanna know your opinion...

: I have a standard strat and last week I bought a new Clapton signature strat. They changed the pickups on these strats last September from gols lace to vintage noiseless pickups. Well is it worth the difference ?.

I wouldnt change my standard strat for sentimental reasons (It was the first guitar I owned and I love it like my son) but get them noiseless pickups and be astounded by the difference like I was !.

TANGLEWOOD DOBRO GUITARS

TANGLEWOOD  DOBRO  GUITARS

This popular thread has been given its own page : TANGLEWOOD DOBRO GUITARS

Kay guitar

I have a Kay guitar L4127. My daughter gave it to me as a gift because I want to learn to play the guitar. Yet if it is worth alot I don't want to use it to learn to play. Can anyone give me any information on this. Thanks so much

Re: Kay guitar

Hi, what kind of headstock does your Kay have? There are certain Kay guitars that are considered "collectables," but not all. collectable Kays are any model with the "Kelvinator" plastic headstock overlay with art deco patterns. Used from 1957 to 1960, this headstock was named after the brand of refrigerator that looked quite similar. This overlay was injection molded with clear acrylic plastic and then back-painted either white or black, with gold highlights in the crest and gold dots outside of the crest. Starting in late 1960, Kay switched to a less expensive "half" Kelvinator that used just the triangle Kay crest from the full Kelvinator, screwed to a simple black plastic headstock veneer. This "half" Kelvinator dropped the black or white back-painted acyrlic "lunchcountertop" surround with gold dots. This design only lasted till the end of 1961 when the Kelvinator headstock was completely dropped.

I, myself, own a Kay, and I, too, don't know if it's worth anything. It doesn't have the headstock described, but it does have a headstock that resembles the Fender strats' headstock. The whole guitar looks like a strat, but it does have its' uniqueness.

Hi, what kind of headstock does your Kay have? There are certain Kay guitars that are considered "collectables," but not all. collectable Kays are any model with the "Kelvinator" plastic headstock overlay with art deco patterns. Used from 1957 to 1960, this headstock was named after the brand of refrigerator that looked quite similar. This overlay was injection molded with clear acrylic plastic and then back-painted either white or black, with gold highlights in the crest and gold dots outside of the crest. Starting in late 1960, Kay switched to a less expensive "half" Kelvinator that used just the triangle Kay crest from the full Kelvinator, screwed to a simple black plastic headstock veneer. This "half" Kelvinator dropped the black or white back-painted acyrlic "lunchcountertop" surround with gold dots. This design only lasted till the end of 1961 when the Kelvinator headstock was completely dropped.

I, myself, own a Kay, and I, too, don't know if it's worth anything. It doesn't have the headstock described, but it does have a headstock that resembles the Fender strats' headstock. The whole guitar looks like a strat, but it does have its' uniqueness.
I think that it's ok to practice on Kay guitars, because I've been able to learn on mine, and it's very durable. I don't use it for what it's intended for; ! use it for heavy metal, and all sorts of other styles. the worst I've done was broke strings, but that can be easily replaced. The string action is high, so I recommend taking it to a shop and having them fix the string action so that it will be a lot easier for you to play; for beginners, it's hell if the string action is high. If you can adjust the brige, do so. If you adjust the bridge (if it has an adjustable bridge), and the string buzzes, or if you play a note on the high frets and it buzzes and doesn't give a clean tone, take it to a guitar shop, and have them fix it.

Kays can be very collectable, but none are worth the sort of prices garnered by vintage Gibsons and Fenders and Gretsches of the era. Kay, in the '50s, was never more than the Buick of guitars--good solid reliable instruments that weren't as pricey as the Cadillacs. Kay also made some cheaper entry level guitars, often with other brand names on them and sold through catalog stores like Montgomery Wards and Sears. My advice is to go ahead and play your Kay. That's what they were made for.

: Hi, what kind of headstock does your Kay have? There are certain Kay guitars that are considered "collectables," but not all. collectable Kays are any model with the "Kelvinator" plastic headstock overlay with art deco patterns. Used from 1957 to 1960, this headstock was named after the brand of refrigerator that looked quite similar. This overlay was injection molded with clear acrylic plastic and then back-painted either white or black, with gold highlights in the crest and gold dots outside of the crest. Starting in late 1960, Kay switched to a less expensive "half" Kelvinator that used just the triangle Kay crest from the full Kelvinator, screwed to a simple black plastic headstock veneer. This "half" Kelvinator dropped the black or white back-painted acyrlic "lunchcountertop" surround with gold dots. This design only lasted till the end of 1961 when the Kelvinator headstock was completely dropped.

: I, myself, own a Kay, and I, too, don't know if it's worth anything. It doesn't have the headstock described, but it does have a headstock that resembles the Fender strats' headstock. The whole guitar looks like a strat, but it does have its' uniqueness.
: I think that it's ok to practice on Kay guitars, because I've been able to learn on mine, and it's very durable. I don't use it for what it's intended for; ! use it for heavy metal, and all sorts of other styles. the worst I've done was broke strings, but that can be easily replaced. The string action is high, so I recommend taking it to a shop and having them fix the string action so that it will be a lot easier for you to play; for beginners, it's hell if the string action is high. If you can adjust the brige, do so. If you adjust the bridge (if it has an adjustable bridge), and the string buzzes, or if you play a note on the high frets and it buzzes and doesn't give a clean tone, take it to a guitar shop, and have them fix it.

Re: Kay guitar, Custom Kraft model

I have found an old Custom Kraft, by Kay, the original owner purchased it in the 1930's. IT has a tortoise shell piece. I am unsure of the term to describe it. IT protects the guitar from the pick when you are playing it. Any information on the guitar. I would appreciate.

Jay Turser Guitars

Jay Turser Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Jay Turser Guitars

lotus guitar

im looking for some sort of a wiring diagram for a lotus(imitation les paul)guitar

Re: lotus guitar

Go to stewmac.com they have a wiring diagram for the Les Paul, it shouldn't be any different.

Re: lotus guitar

: im looking for a Whammy Bar Bracket for a Lotus Electric Guitar, my son broke the Whammy Bar off in the Bracket !

les paul custom blacktop

i'm trying to find info on this guitar it has a serial number on the back of the peg head J797232,if anyone can help me find any info i'd appreciate it. Thanks,Ray

changing fretwire

I need advice on changing fretwire

Re: changing fretwire

My advice is...DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!! Bite the bullet,pay the money and take it to a pro!
Good Luck

Re: changing fretwire

: My advice is...DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!! Bite the bullet,pay the money and take it to a pro!
: Good Luck

What if it's a really old junkie guitar?

Where can I get a porta 03 pdf file?

Where can I get a porta 03 pdf file?

Looking to buy accoustic guitar

I am looking to spend about $200-$400 on an accoustic guitar with pick up, but im not sure what I should be looking for - which brands at that price, and how much better is a $400 than a $300 guitar - is it worht spending the extra 100?

Check out Harmony Central for reviews on all guitars!!!

Harmony Central is real good for critical reviews of most guitars and amps!!

Epi LP wobbly control knobs

I've just purchased a new Epiphone LP Classic and noticed that all 4 volume/tone knobs appear to be fitted 'off centre' (like when a hubcap is not fitted correctly on a car wheel and makes it look like the wheel is buckled when it turns).
Either:
1. All 4 potentiometer shafts are bent (unlikely) or
2. The holes in the knobs haven't been drilled true (unlikely again).

I know the body has a contour but the knobs definately turn 'off centre'.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: Epi LP wobbly control knobs

: I've just purchased a new Epiphone LP Classic and noticed that all 4 volume/tone knobs appear to be fitted 'off centre' (like when a hubcap is not fitted correctly on a car wheel and makes it look like the wheel is buckled when it turns).
: Either:
: 1. All 4 potentiometer shafts are bent (unlikely) or
: 2. The holes in the knobs haven't been drilled true (unlikely again).

: I know the body has a contour but the knobs definately turn 'off centre'.

: Has anyone else experienced this?

I just bought one as well and my control knobs where the same. A little bit (not too much) of pressure on the top of the knobs seated mine correctly. Its as if they were not pushed on enough at the factory.

Thanks - I'll give it a try later.
Roy

: I just bought one as well and my control knobs where the same. A little bit (not too much) of pressure on the top of the knobs seated mine correctly. Its as if they were not pushed on enough at the factory.

You were right Sad Old Man. I pulled them off and reseated them. They're a bit hit and miss ie you can actyually press them on off-centre (as the factory do!).
Cheers,
Roy

: I just bought one as well and my control knobs where the same. A little bit (not too much) of pressure on the top of the knobs seated mine correctly. Its as if they were not pushed on enough at the factory.

Nothing to do with the wobbly knobs but do you know what gauge of strings are fitted to these LP's as standard.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.