Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2004

Archive for posts from November, 2004

ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: about how to plug grunge pedal

: Iis it normal if a get close of my amp with my guit you have a kind of nasty feedback? Suggest me some preset with that pedal please anyone

Re: about how to plug grunge pedal

yes it is normal, the grunge pedal has extreme gain on it, if you want to sit close to your amp then turn down the 'grunge' 'face' and 'butt' levels til it stops howling, also take some of the top end tone off the amp, or simply stand back or turn down the volume.

I can't decide.

I am going to by a Gibson soon but I don't know whether I'm going to get a SG standard or a Les Paul studio with gold hardware! they are both around he same price on this site that I'm using (the studio cost's 1188 euro and the SG is 1175euro!). I like both of them alot but the point about the sg is it's so thin and light with to cut away's and it's in heritage cherry. What I like about the Les Paul is it's a god damn Les Paul and cost a fortune in Ireland! and I love it's tone. So I'm pretty much screwed so email me or send a discussion please and help a Irish lad out CHEERS FB.

Re: I can't decide.

If you buy a Les Paul Studio you will always be wondering about the Les Paul Standard, and to be honest there isnt a lot between the standard and the studio, but, buy a SG Standard and it will be the best purchase of your life, you will NEVER be disapointed with the SG, tonal range betwen pickup selections and tone pot sweeps is astonishing, ive been playing live for a good few years, have played and owned guitars for 28 years, i have a few in the collection at the minute, and the guitar i always take out with me is my SG Standard, it just does the buisness. Go for the SG.

It's nice if a guitar looks good and is thin and light etc. but its main purpose is sound. You seem to prefer the sound of the Les Paul studio. "If you need somebody to trust, trust yourself"...Bob Dylan

forget the studio, go for the SG !!

in need of drummer and guitarist!!!!

hey, i'm starting a band but need more talented ppl. i have the keyboard and vocals covered, just need drums and guitar. anyone interested?

in need of drummer and guitarist!!!!

hey, i'm starting a band but need more talented ppl. i have the keyboard and vocals covered, just need drums and guitar. anyone interested? please post reply for more details! thanks!

Re: in need of drummer and guitarist!!!!

Hey I just split with band I'm a drummer and looking for a rock band. I'm not really into metal but can do any style, let me know, thanks. I'm from TX by the way

NEW BAND! NEED MEMBERS!

YO! i have started a band, but as of now..all i have is a singer, keyboardist, and one guitarist. i would like one more guitarist..and i really need a drummer. post a reply and i will give u details for location, experience wanted, age, etc... thanks!!

Can i ask for some song critiquing on this site? or is that off topic...?

let me know if i can ask for opinions of original songs on this site. thanks

Re: Can i ask for some song critiquing on this site? or is that off topic...?

I would think that posting your original ideas here would be just giving them away.

Re: Can i ask for some song critiquing on this site? or is that off topic...?

Try http://www.songwriterforums.com/forums/

: I would think that posting your original ideas here would be just giving them away.

peavey prowler

can anyone give me the specs on a peavey prowler?

Re: peavey prowler

All tube and very clean, the Prowler is a 45 watt with 12" speaker and two channels.

first guitar...suggestions?

i am getting a first guitar. and i was thinking along the lines of a squire or epiphone and my friend suggested a jackson dinky....but i dunno...i found a nice squire at a local music store..but i haven't looked at the other 2 local music stores... so im looking for a decently priced one while still sounding decent...so if anybody has n e suggestions then please, suggest, i would appreciate it.. thanks
amber

Re: first guitar...suggestions?

try to go online and try to get a kramer focus, their cheep and a nice guitar

Re: first guitar...suggestions?

I would sugest that you find a guitar to fit what ever style of music your gonna play. Once you find your Style then you can decided on a Good geetar

jagstang

did kurt cobain come up with the general idea for that...or what? cuz im kind of confused on that..... cuz in his journal thingy it has all his ideas for the jagstang. so...yeah if n e body knows, please reply. thanks
amber

Re: jagstang

Here's what happened Amber, you almost have to be an insider to really know. Yes, Kurt did some drawings and sketchings of guitar bodies to improve on what he thought was the unsatisfactory (or uncomfortable for him?) feel of the Mustang and the Jaguar. He preferred the Jag but wanted something lighter. He thoroughly hated the Mustang. He saw in his mind, a combination of the 2 guitars. He took a large picture of each, and cut them straight down the middle with a pair of scissors. He grafted the halves that he liked, together - Mustang on top, Jag on the bottom. Then he started sketching. He took the idea to Fender, it was the cut up photos that impressed the company, and the new Jagstang was all drawn up, ready for production in 1996. Kurt wanted an even shorter scale than either of the previous guitars, with a thinner neck. Also, he had to have one single coil pickup and one humbucker. He was given a few prototypes, but not production models (pre-1997).

For a first guitar, it seems you would appreciate something like that. Try out the Fender Cyclone, short scale deluxe series. Costs more than a Squier.

Good luck Amber ........ been there!

Kurt liked the Mustang actually, (go to kurtsequipment.com for more) he just hated the bridge, so he replaced it with the tune-o-matic.The Fender Mustang was actually his favourite guitar and he used it in the Teen Spirit video etc. The Jaguar was his second favourite guitar which he used in the Nevermind period. As for the Jagstang Kurt used it as a recording guitar and played it a few times on the In Utero tour, the one he used was basically a better version of the one you see today in stores. It had a Fender Texas special in the neck and a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position.

course he did stupid

: course he did stupid

Now that answer by sa really shows stupidity. Get a life and don't spoil the forum!

rickenbacker

i purchesed a secondhand rickenbacker over 20 years ago, how do i find out what model and year it was made. it is a usa model black with white scratchboard 3 pickups and a tremlo arm it as ye near the plug socket,any ideas anyone

Re: rickenbacker

is it solid body?? and 21 frets?? if so i think its the 325 model, it should also have a solid chrome tailpeice, i think this is very similar to the John Lennon model of the mid sixties, you should have a 5th 'blender' knob that mixes betweeen the pickups.
dont ask me whats its worth, i know a new one would cost £1100 + so an original 64-65 model would be a lot more.

Gibson Les Paul or Fender Tele

Hey, i'm 14 and im getting a guitar or xmas and it my choice but i dunno what to get.i've been playing for about a year now and its somthing im really into so i want somthing to last me awhile. I've narrowed it down to Gibson Standard Les Paul or some kinda Fender Telecaster. What are the pros and cons of each guitar?

Re: Gibson Les Paul or Fender Tele

2 totaly different guitars, nobody ever played heavy rock (apart from Jimmy Page on the first Led Zep record) on a standard telecaster, they make great blues, country, but forget heavier stuff. On the other hand the Les Paul does it all (maybe not country), but it all depends on your developing style, what kind of music do you prefer?? as i would say to everyone, go along to your music shop and play them, you will soon make up your mind, and make sure you play a few different types of Tele, they do loads of dirfferent models, they all have their own sounds and feel.

If it were a choice between the two, I'd definitely go for the Les Paul. As Lee said, the Gibson is definitely more versatile compared to a standard Tele.

The Tele CAN do heavy stuff. For example, Tom Morello uses a Tele in almost all of his drop D tuned songs, but I believe he's modded it quite a bit so that he gets a very different sound from the standard tele. However, with the humbucking pickups, tone knobs, and three-way switch on the Gibson, it's way more versatile for sure.

May I suggest, unless you're 100% set on those guitars, that you look at a Schecter? I own a C1, and I think it has better quality and better value than either of those guitars. They're overpriced, for what they offer, and the Schecter matches them in construction quality, sound quality, and reliability. Schecter's also got the same lifetime warranty as Gibson (I dunno what fender's warranty is). I don't want to keep rambling, but they're definitely good. Check out their website, and definitely go and play one if you can find a dealer. happy hunting!
cheers

It's true the 'moded' tele can be very versatile, i have a Tele with 3 pickups, Seymore duncan hotrails on the bridge, then single coil in the mid, and the standard chrome PU on the neck, Status Quo use Tele's, and i suppose they could be called heavy rock, but i cant think of anyone else, and a good sugestion on the schecter range, they are as you say good value and quality.

: If it were a choice between the two, I'd definitely go for the Les Paul. As Lee said, the Gibson is definitely more versatile compared to a standard Tele.

: The Tele CAN do heavy stuff. For example, Tom Morello uses a Tele in almost all of his drop D tuned songs, but I believe he's modded it quite a bit so that he gets a very different sound from the standard tele. However, with the humbucking pickups, tone knobs, and three-way switch on the Gibson, it's way more versatile for sure.

: May I suggest, unless you're 100% set on those guitars, that you look at a Schecter? I own a C1, and I think it has better quality and better value than either of those guitars. They're overpriced, for what they offer, and the Schecter matches them in construction quality, sound quality, and reliability. Schecter's also got the same lifetime warranty as Gibson (I dunno what fender's warranty is). I don't want to keep rambling, but they're definitely good. Check out their website, and definitely go and play one if you can find a dealer. happy hunting!
: cheers

?? A Les Paul more versatile than a Tele?? Try again dude! lol Not in this universe. Ever try getting a really clean sound out of a Les Paul? A Les Paul can get a huge sound...but that's it. A Tele can get both super clean sounds AND super-fat huge sounds...and with its stock pickups too. I have both guitars, and my Tele can sound just as big as the Les Paul, but it can get crystal clear sounds, where the Les Paul can't. Don't try to give advice when when you don't know what you're talking about. Some guy asked for advice, not B.S.

: : If it were a choice between the two, I'd definitely go for the Les Paul. As Lee said, the Gibson is definitely more versatile compared to a standard Tele.

: : The Tele CAN do heavy stuff. For example, Tom Morello uses a Tele in almost all of his drop D tuned songs, but I believe he's modded it quite a bit so that he gets a very different sound from the standard tele. However, with the humbucking pickups, tone knobs, and three-way switch on the Gibson, it's way more versatile for sure.

: : May I suggest, unless you're 100% set on those guitars, that you look at a Schecter? I own a C1, and I think it has better quality and better value than either of those guitars. They're overpriced, for what they offer, and the Schecter matches them in construction quality, sound quality, and reliability. Schecter's also got the same lifetime warranty as Gibson (I dunno what fender's warranty is). I don't want to keep rambling, but they're definitely good. Check out their website, and definitely go and play one if you can find a dealer. happy hunting!
: : cheers

: ?? A Les Paul more versatile than a Tele?? Try again dude! lol Not in this universe. Ever try getting a really clean sound out of a Les Paul? A Les Paul can get a huge sound...but that's it. A Tele can get both super clean sounds AND super-fat huge sounds...and with its stock pickups too. I have both guitars, and my Tele can sound just as big as the Les Paul, but it can get crystal clear sounds, where the Les Paul can't. Don't try to give advice when when you don't know what you're talking about. Some guy asked for advice, not B.S.

BS is exactly what you're giving out. You have no idea what you're talking about....there's no comparison at any level when it comes to a LP vs Tele....LP wins hands down...no competition at all.

if i were to choose one.. i would pick a telecaster... but one that has a humbucker in the bridge position giving it some presence but also the ability to have a twangy sound

Sorry, but putting a humbucker in a tele bridge position removes all twang. The tele bridge pickup is what the twang comes from.

To keep it easy and considering your age, I would say play the guitar closest to what your heroes play. Listen to your favourite music, and find out what is being used. Always trust your own reaction to the sounds you hear.

thats good advice.

My son is 14 and has been playibg for 2 years. I started him on a Fender Squire Strat to see how much he would really play. Once I knew that he was serious I bought him a Gibson Faded SG. Resonably priced and he loves it. Am on the hunt for a Les Paul standard or custom for a year or two down the road. Go to a guitar store and play what looks good to you. Stay with a high quality guitar or you will get frustrated. Good luck.

: Hey, i'm 14 and im getting a guitar or xmas and it my choice but i dunno what to get.i've been playing for about a year now and its somthing im really into so i want somthing to last me awhile. I've narrowed it down to Gibson Standard Les Paul or some kinda Fender Telecaster. What are the pros and cons of each guitar?

i would go w/ the tele, but try to get a tele deluxe. it has a good feel...

buy a indie they do rip offs of both makes but there far better quality and much less expensive. my one costs £539 but is equal to the £900 les paul. They also do fenders.

Tabliture for Guitar

Tabliture for Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Tabliture for Guitar

Telecaster Blueprints

I´m looking for Telecaster blueprints. Gonna try buliding one myself. Anyone know where I can find them?

newsboys

Im looking for the cords to the newsboys song devotion its of their new cd

Re: newsboys

: Im looking for the cords to the newsboys song devotion its of their new cd

I don't get it. Saw the request and i sent word to the band that you were looking for their song. Then 3 more postings by??? for the same thing???. Is this crazy or what.... sum kinda joke. Request denied.

Bigsby Silvertone Patent #d-169,120

Bigsby Silvertone Patent #d-169,120

This popular thread has been given its own page : Bigsby Silvertone Patent #d-169,120

Martin guitar kit- Bass

Looking to make a Martin bass guitar for my son for Christmas. Where is the best place to shop for a kit, and what are the pitfalls of building one? What kind of equipment is necessary to build it?
Pat

Silvertone Model #319.14559

Silvertone Model #319.14559

This popular thread has been given its own page : Silvertone Model #319.14559

Gibson 1955 Gold Top Guitar

I was just given a Gibson 1955 Gold Top soild bosy guitar serial number# 5 9085. It it is in its original case. Does anyone know what the estimated value would be?

Re: Gibson 1955 Gold Top Guitar

you gotta be kidding.

I know it sounds like a joke but I am serious. I even tried to tell the person who gave it to me that it was a classic and could have some value, but they said, "No it is yours".

anyone else want to handle this one??
i think its a wind up.

: I was just given a Gibson 1955 Gold Top soild bosy guitar serial number# 5 9085. It it is in its original case. Does anyone know what the estimated value would be?

I got my guitar appraised today and found out it is in excellent condition. All original parts. I was appraised pretty well.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.