Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2004

Archive for posts from December, 2004

ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

PLEASE HELP!!

Someone recently gave me a 4 X 12 marshall cab from years and years ago on the back above the input jack it says 36379 but i cant get in touch with marshall to find out what this means and the serial number registration on the website says that isnt enough. so i researched that and it says they havent used these serial numbers since before the 80's does anyone know anything about this i.e how much its worth or anything else? Please Help

still need help

thanks for all your feedback it's much appreciated, but what would all of you prefer? Learning from a book or from a teacher? I did practice a lot last on part of a song and im almost their. So if you have any suggestions i would like a lot! thanks a lot

Still Need Help!!!

thank you all for your feedback it is much appreciated, but which do you all prefer? A book or a Teacher? i practiced a couple hours last night, and i was alright. i don't have the strings down just yet but im getting them. All i really wanted to know was what you all prefered? Thanks a lot

Re: Still Need Help!!!

There are good and bad teachers and good and bad books. I learned from books, but got a lot of tips from other players. If you look at the books first you can get better value from a teacher; I don't think a weekly lesson is necessary while you are getting your hands working, and learning basic theory.

S S Stewart Guitar

I Purchased a S S Stewart Guitar At ajewlery store (since closed)in1950. Just curious if anyone else has one. This one is an F hole auditorium size and is still in mint condition. Ken

Re: S S Stewart Guitar

: yea. my grandfather bought an s.s. stewart back in the day and gave it to me

S S Stewart Guitar

I Purchased a S S Stewart Guitar At ajewlery store (since closed)in1950. Just curious if anyone else has one. This one is an F hole auditorium size and is still in mint condition. Ken

: I Purchased a S S Stewart Guitar At ajewlery store (since closed)in1950. Just curious if anyone else has one. This one is an F hole auditorium size and is still in mint condition. Ken

My friend, James Sai, has one for sale on Ebay 12/30/04.
Bob Ervin

: I Purchased a S S Stewart Guitar At ajewlery store (since closed)in1950. Just curious if anyone else has one. This one is an F hole auditorium size and is still in mint condition. Ken

Yes, I just found one myself and was trying to learn more about them. Please reply and maybe in our joint efforts can shed some more light on these guitars.

Value of K Yairi

I have a 1980 K Yairi classical guitar model YC-04. I have owned it since new - does anyone have any idea of what it is might be worth?

selling guitar

i have an old VOX Student Prince guitar and want to find out it's value. Just wondering if anyone knows how i can find out.

Boss AD-8 instruction manual needed

Hi there, I'm in need of an instruction manual for the Boss AD-8 acoustic guitar unit. Bought it second hand but the manual's lost! I've looked all over the web unsuccessfully. Can anyone please help me get a copy? Thanks!

hello

mail id for kate winslet
and taitanic movi

MK's guitar sultans of swing

Is it not recommendedable to play sultans of swing with a pick? Will the difference in sound be so obvious? I'm playing guitar for 2.5 years and i can't play it with fingers like knopfler does (especially the final part of the last solo). I have a squier strat guitar (not a good guitar) and I am trying to get knopfler's sound on my zoom 505II pedal.

Re: MK's guitar sultans of swing

: Is it not recommendedable to play sultans of swing with a pick? Will the difference in sound be so obvious? I'm playing guitar for 2.5 years and i can't play it with fingers like knopfler does (especially the final part of the last solo). I have a squier strat guitar (not a good guitar) and I am trying to get knopfler's sound on my zoom 505II pedal.

Of course Mark played a vintage Strat on that one, with all 3 pickups on in parallel, normal/reverse wound/normal. Clapton does this on After Midnight. Kind of funkadelic. And the overall effect is noise cancelling. You can get this with an acoustic simulator effect, if you keep the effect level low, and the amp volume higher. With your Squier, you could lower the height of the bright ceramic pickups and use more amp, or change your control pots from 500 to 250K. As Lee said, choose bridge/mid. Try to sound like Robert Cray. Add that dash of chorus or delay to get close. Since there's no plectrum, you could use a felt pick or super soft matchpicks.

Re: MK's guitar sultans of swing

is it possible to play it with a pick? theres a hell of a lot of notes being played.

request

hi
how is life hope cool i just write to request for any one who would like to teach me guiter

Dazed And Confused, The Song Remains The Same Version

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a site that has the song remains the same version of dazed and confused tabbed. I know that it would be near impossible for someone to get it all tabbed, but i thought that it was worth a try.

Re: Dazed And Confused, The Song Remains The Same Version

: I was just wondering if anybody knew of a site that has the song remains the same version of dazed and confused tabbed. I know that it would be near impossible for someone to get it all tabbed, but i thought that it was worth a try.

Try Led-zeppelin.org or net(havent been there in awhile) The only place that would have it which me thinks it does.

Re: Dazed And Confused, The Song Remains The Same Version

: I was just wondering if anybody knew of a site that has the song remains the same version of dazed and confused tabbed. I know that it would be near impossible for someone to get it all tabbed, but i thought that it was worth a try.

Also, Page improvised the hell out of that song live. Would last up to almost 45 mins on occasion with medleys. Just learn the basics and do it your own way. Page never became the guitarist he is and will ever be for staying the same. Have fun, its Jimmy.

C.F. Martin Electric Guitar Solid Body 1979

C.F. Martin Electric Guitar Solid Body 1979

This popular thread has been given its own page : C.F. Martin Electric Guitar Solid Body 1979

Silvertoneslayinfool

Well man this is as close I assume I can get a shout out to ya,. Don't know fer' sure if you'll even get this Doyle,....But in hope and anticipation perhaps this little HOWDY-DO finds it's way to ya'. It's been a while since I saw you in S.R, My band broke up in 2001. New Years eve at the OLD VIC. which has since closed.Glad to see so much E-INK about ya' Hope you find your way to Seattle some time soon. I'm just thirty miles north. and would GLADLY make the trip to see ya' Anyhow,...again I hope this gets to ya' If not ,ya'll else just check this guy out,.. and PAY ATTENTION fellow guitar pupils .

Re: Silvertoneslayinfool

: Well man this is as close I assume I can get a shout out to ya,. Don't know fer' sure if you'll even get this Doyle,....But in hope and anticipation perhaps this little HOWDY-DO finds it's way to ya'. It's been a while since I saw you in S.R, My band broke up in 2001. New Years eve at the OLD VIC. which has since closed.Glad to see so much E-INK about ya' Hope you find your way to Seattle some time soon. I'm just thirty miles north. and would GLADLY make the trip to see ya' Anyhow,...again I hope this gets to ya' If not ,ya'll else just check this guy out,.. and PAY ATTENTION fellow guitar pupils .

Hey Dane, don't forget to say howdy to Chris Isaak for all the people here too. If you're near Seattle look up Bill Nash at www.nashguitars.com. What kind of axe do you play; what's your rig? Ever play with Pearl Jam? Wassup?

my guitar

I have a contessa acoucstic guitar I have had it since 1972 how can I find a history of it

Re: my guitar

You know what ?

GET BENT!!!!

hi

sorry nothings hahahah

Are there Stratocaster Serial Numbers starting with a "Z"?

Are there Stratocaster Serial Numbers starting with a "Z"?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Are there Stratocaster Serial Numbers starting with a "Z"?

help me please !

I can't find the tab "cry for a shadow"
could anyboy help me please ?

Re: help me please !

: I can't find the tab "cry for a shadow"
: could anybody help me please ?

Go to google.com enter a search for [ "cry for a shadow" tab] including the quotes but not the brackets. It's there.

http://h.escourolle.free.fr/htm/aboutt_e.htm

You will need to download tabledit ( well worthwhile)

Dimebag Darrell RIP

He was shot dead on stage along with someone else. So shocking, i couldn't believe my eyes.
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6660116/damageplan?pageid=rs.NewsArchive&pageregion=mainRegion
RIP Dimebag.

Re: Dimebag Darrell RIP

A very sad day for metal. Rest in peace,Dime. :(

Squier Tele dating

I own a blue Squier Tele made in korea serial M2086708
Can anyone date this. Is it of any value ?

Best regards Kristian http//www.kristiandanielsen.dk

Re: Squier Tele dating

: I own a blue Squier Tele made in korea serial M2086708
: Can anyone date this. Is it of any value ?

: Best regards Kristian http//www.kristiandanielsen.dk

Date not possible; value $150 - $200 in the United States.

Re: Squier Tele dating

: I own a blue Squier Tele made in korea serial M2086708
: Can anyone date this. Is it of any value ?

: Best regards Kristian http//www.kristiandanielsen.dk

My colleague Daisy apologizes for her terse reply, but she tried with a posting that outlined the different features of Squier, for you to identify minute details your guitar, thus affecting it's value. I can not imagine why her attempts did not prevail. She is busy finishing her 5th year including Musicology (Music History) and Guitar Tech, and is really enthusiastic; she knows many of the bands and the guitar manufacturers you all want to hear about, as well as the retail industry in depth. But there's no point when what you write ain't shown.

bc rich beast bass

people help me i want 2 no how much the bc rich beast bass is in english money cheapest coz im guna get one

Re: bc rich beast bass

: people help me i want 2 no how much the bc rich beast bass is in english money cheapest coz im guna get one
cmmon guys

about gain on grunge pedal

Should i put gain over the gain of my grunge pedal or not. If you can, tell me how to set my amp. Its a crate gt65 with a digitech grunge pedal.

thank you

Re: about gain on grunge pedal

you set it for whatever sounds good to your ears, but if it were me, i'd take all the gain off the amp and overdrive the pedal, i have a turbo rat distortion pedal and 3 valve amps, what i find works realy well is to turn my amp up with no gain, and set it to a volume where the output valves and speakers are naturaly breaking, just a little overdriven, then i switch on the turbo rat, and it never disapoints.

I figured it out! i just press on the pedal thingny for the clean chanel and the overdrive of the pedal almost to the max. It just sound great i can swith to distorded to a sweet clean sound

Of course overdriving a valve amp sounds WAY different from doing same to a solid state amp.
Set the volume you want without the pedal, then bring the pedal in and set the distortion you want, then compare pedal on and off and adjust the pedal gain, then fine tune the distortion and go around again until you're happy.

Les Paul copies?

Is there a general consensus amongst guitarists in the know concerning LP copies? I mean, which ones are the good, the bad and the ugly? Im a keyboard player just looking for some opinions. Hope to pick up a used beater to learn on.

Re: Les Paul copies?

: Is there a general consensus amongst guitarists in the know concerning LP copies? I mean, which ones are the good, the bad and the ugly? Im a keyboard player just looking for some opinions. Hope to pick up a used beater to learn on.

I have seen Tokai copies at guitar shows going for as much as the Gibsons themselves. That means people like them, because they are really good. You're safe with an Epiphone which you might get for a reasonable price and get your money back later. I would choose a brand new Agile or a Dean. They are identical guitars from the same source and have no problems. I have played all 5 brands, I'm a guitar store junkie.

i have 2 Tokai's, a jap 1979 original love rock, and a Korean 2004 love rock custom, they are very close to gibsons, i disagree with the costs, i paid £475 for the 1979, and £399 for the custom, the pickups on the 79' are not as good as Gibsons, but a visit to the seymour duncan website can cure that, the pickups on the custom are spot on, ive played a lot of les paul copies and they are the best, but the Epi's are very good too, but the epi headstock lets it down. And the worst? that honour has to go to the 'Colombus'i think the 70's colombus was possibly the worst guitar of all time.

Thanks for the input. I love the look of the Tokai Goldtop (as seen on eBay). A bit pricey for my budget. Nonetheless, its great to know I have good taste :-)

I saw a Tradition Goldtop knockoff that looked really nice for $2-300.

i keep saying this to people, looks are not everything, its the sound, feel, construction you need to worry about.

: i keep saying this to people, looks are not everything, its the sound, feel, construction you need to worry about.

Agree 100%, but being a novice I cannot guage the "feel" so to speak. I must read reviews, etc and base a decision on the judgements and observations of others. However, I am more likely to play and practice if my LP has a reasonably striking appearance! ;-)

just promise me one thing, no matter how much patter the seller gives you, no matter how wonderful the colour, no matter how cheap it is, please DO NOT buy a Colombus.
they are truely awful and the only way we can eradicate these 'sheep in wolves clothing' peices of diabolical utter rubbish is to stop trading in them.

www.BluesLessons.com

Has anybody ever seen the Hendrix DVD set that's for sale on this site? Is it good?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.